Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paley

What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

4,355 posts in this topic

Setting sons.... to get me to work today

Currently enjoying the ex-Roxy music guitarist Phil Manzanera compilation 'Guitarissimo'.

The opening riff from track one (K-Scope) has recently been sampled by Jay Z & Kanye West for their track 'No Church in the Wild', which has apparently been a considerable financial pleasure for Phil.

A double page spread in todays i newspaper about this riff and phil Manzanera .

A double page spread in todays i newspaper about this riff and phil Manzanera .

He has a new album out, on which he "re-covers" the track via Kanye & Jay. Some of his solo stuff is variable in quality, some is very good, but it's nice to see him doing well out of this.

I have a track by those (MCR) on the last CD from Vive Le Rock mag Ullman.

The Who - Tommy 1969 (Full Album): https://youtu.be/fpDw3s7XJKo

Awesome LP, played it on the way to work last night and back this morning.

Lily & Maria's only album. Not as good as I was hoping, as one review compared them to Wendy & Bonnie or Honey Ltd.

Then, Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Street Survivors', the last album before the fateful plane crash. Good stuff.

I have a track by those (MCR) on the last CD from Vive Le Rock mag Ullman.

I must admit, when I posted the youtube links I thought they'd be right up your street.

Then, Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Street Survivors', the last album before the fateful plane crash. Good stuff.

Along with the Ramones' 'Too Tough To Die' that has got to be up there with the most tragically ironic album titles (not to mention the cover).

Folklorist Alan Lomax spent about 60 years, beginning in the 1930s, traveling around mainly the USA, but also around the world, recording folk, blues, jazz, anything traditional he could find.

Now, the Association for Cultural Equity, a nonprofit organization founded by Lomax, have just put up 17,000 sound recordings on their website: http://www.culturalequity.org/ 

As well as music, there are interviews with the likes of Big Bill Broonzy, Memphis Slim and Howlin' Wolf. There's video as well as audio.

Oh, and it's all free. Fill yer boots!

Edited by Futtocks

prompted me to give california uber alles a go ..... it's been a while

prompted me to give california uber alles a go ..... it's been a while

Jello Biafra, now there's a songwriter.

Their 'Plastic Surgery Disasters' album was a favourite listen through my last two years of school.

Jello Biafra, now there's a songwriter.

His stuff with Lard was also great and his newer 'band' Guantanamo School of Medicine ' have some brill stuff.

Did you know. .....Biafra (under his real name Eric Boucher) once stood for Mayor of San Francisco in the late 70s. One of his policies was to make businessmen dress as clowns between the hours of 9-5. He came third or so!!

I didn't Google that, that's the kind of thing I remember....never anything important like.

I vaguely remember the clown suit thing but not the details that you can recall.

I've not heard the Lard or Guantanamo School of Medicine stuff. I've got the Tumor Circus thing he did with the members of Steel Pole Bath Tub. It's good but it's pretty heavy going.