Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paley

What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

4,359 posts in this topic

Nat 'King' Cole - After Midnight. It may be a mono recording, but it's almost tangibly real-sounding.

...followed by my personally-selected Stevie Wonder playlist. Tracks from all the classic mid-period albums, with the sappy stuff removed. Joyful and frequently mind-expanding.

London Calling - The Clash, an album that really does stand the test of time.

London Calling - The Clash, an album that really does stand the test of time.

Definitely my favourite album of all time.

The new remastering of 'Music from Big Pink'. This time, it sounds the way The Band recorded it, with the bass and drums restored to normal levels, instead of the travesty instigated by Capitol.

Makes an all-time classic album even better. :)

Since the BBC4 documentary about Paul Simon and the 'Graceland' reunion, I've dug my copy out for the first time in quite a while, and am loving it all over again. :)

Other than that, Nat 'King' Cole's album 'The very Thought of you', some Hindemith chamber music, and all three discs (on random play) of Matthew Sweet & Susannah Hoffs' 'Under the Covers' albums.

Talking Heads - True Stories I am currently addicted to them at the minute.

I've got the DVD of 'Stop making Sense' off the shelf and am planning to watch it again tonight.

I've got the DVD of 'Stop making Sense' off the shelf and am planning to watch it again tonight.

Great, Tina Weymouth is one hell of a bass player I am currently listening to Tom Tom Clubs first vinyl my feet won't standstill.

Recently wrote a book for schools (11-14 year-olds) about the history of hip-hop, so that inspired me to revisit "De La Soul is Dead", Public Enemy's "Yo Bumrush The Show" and A Tribe Called Quest's "People's Instinctive Travels & The Paths of Rhythm".

The last couple of days I've also been checking the forthcoming Land of Light album on ESP Institute - beautiful layered sounds, hard to pin down what exact sound they're pushing 'cos there's all sorts going on, but it's lush, sort of like a modern, next level Eno or something - and the new LIndstrom LP, whose crazy Norwegian name escapes me.

Also, quite a few mixes - one from my friend Legendary Tone, which is superb, and another from Psychemagik, which is brilliant and full of odd, stupidly expensive records.

You'd have to try really hard not to like this lot, they've got some lovely tunes

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Bowling for Soup -1985.

This band are ace, can't wait for their October tour. Will be seeing them as many times as possible, just a great, great band that are fun.

The splendid Neko Case

[media=]

[/media]

her version of the Shangri Las Train From Kansas City is brilliant.

I've been listening to the new Pet Shop Boys album 'Elysium' for the past few days. I'd read a couple of reviews that said it wasn't their best work, with only a handful of standout tracks, but I bought it anyway being a fan. So far, the reviews appear to be spot on. It's not bad, but a lot of it is quite forgettable by their usual (IMO) lofty standards. Their most recent odds n ends collection 'Format' is, surprisingly, much more entertaining and varied.