spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

driving along the other day a few miles outside Notts in Radcliffe we saw 2 very large birds, brown, hooked beaks,mottled chests ( chests were akin to a songthrush in colour and style) but we'd definitely not seen them before, obviously a hunting bird of some kindm, a peruse through the book at home told us they were Buzzards, apparently they are becoming more common to be seen

There's a pair in a tree on the edge of the field next to my house. I thought they were more a carrion bird than a hunter - seem to always be fighting with crows. Nasty buggers when they've got chicks.

I had some long tailed #### on one of my bird feeders today; the first time I've seen that. Their usual environment seems to be concrete and tarmac.

Had them in my garden the once around a hawthorn bush. They came in a locust like swarm - an incredible sight. Never had them on the feeders though.

Long tailed #### are the party animals of the bird world. Always seem to arrive as a group.

the only birds we actively discourage are the pigeons. My husband hate them.

Pigeons rarely come in our garden as they're ungainly birds who struggle getting out of the garden in the time the cat has run from cover. Our feeders and bird bath are all at least 10 feet from cover meaning smaller birds never come close to getting caught. The cats don't seem to bother with small birds but get all starry eyed when one of the chicken-sized pigeons decides to brave the garden.

That said, pigeons are fairly harmless, it's the ****ing magpies that are a nuisance with their constant bullying of all other birds. I'd be quite content if the cats took down a few magpies with their bodies left as an "encouragement" to the others to keep away.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

lrg skein of geese flying overhead here every day

impressive sight.

the red kites have widened their spehere of influence during the cold weather.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

That said, pigeons are fairly harmless, it's the ****ing magpies that are a nuisance with their constant bullying of all other birds. I'd be quite content if the cats took down a few magpies with their bodies left as an "encouragement" to the others to keep away.

The population of Magpies (and Jays?) have rocketed in recent decades. In direct contrast to smaller garden birds (end eggs) on which they prey. If you want birds in your garden to thrive then buy an air rifle and sort out the problem of Magpies and squirrels.

The population of Magpies (and Jays?) have rocketed in recent decades. In direct contrast to smaller garden birds (end eggs) on which they prey. If you want birds in your garden to thrive then buy an air rifle and sort out the problem of Magpies and squirrels.

Jays are shy birds who rarely come into urban areas. We're very happy for the rare visits our local jays give us. Then we look into the field out back and see about 20+ magpies. :dry:

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Jays are shy birds who rarely come into urban areas. We're very happy for the rare visits our local jays give us. Then we look into the field out back and see about 20+ magpies. :dry:

Interesting stuff. I find that where I live (not urban) the Magpies are probably the birds that are most spooked by movement in the house. Get about the same number of Jays as Magpies too. Overrun by Dunnocks.

Interesting stuff. I find that where I live (not urban) the Magpies are probably the birds that are most spooked by movement in the house. Get about the same number of Jays as Magpies too. Overrun by Dunnocks.

The magpies round our way will fly off if I open the window or knock on it but will happily sit in the trees en-masse and make a right racket at the cats. I've found they're bloody useless at getting things from hanging feeders so have gone from openly putting food on uncovered bird tables to covered ones that they can't access.

I live right at the edge of the town bordering on the countryside and the jays only come this way 2-3 times a year at most.

they aren't shy round here they are strting to challenge the magpies for supremacy. You sometimes get three or four in our garden

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

When I was passing through Etton earlier on today there was a dead blackbird lying next to a dead sparrowhawk in the road. I guess the sparrowhawk picked a bad spot to consume its prey.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I've seen a few jays in gardens in the leafier parts of West London.

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

I've seen a few jays in gardens in the leafier parts of West London.

I suppose urbanisation is doing to them what it did to foxes.

Its been the busiest I can ever remember remember it on our feeders. After bemoaning the lack of goldfinches earlier in this thread, they are now arriving by the dozen, along with feisty groups of long tailed #### as mentioned by others.

All the different finches and #### that often don't bother with our garden for months on end are taking it in turns to tuck in and there's a new favourite - a male blackcap that seemed to arrive with the snow and is there or thereabouts every time I look out of the kitchen window.

:)

the woodpeckers are busy giving themselves brain damage in the woods at the back of our house. Ther seems to be more of them every year

haven't heard a woodpecker in a couple of years now, there was one knocking away in our local copse on the brow of the hill, we did manage to see him 2 / 3 times but he disappeared last year

Did anyone take part in the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch this weekend?

Here's my tally:

2 x Dunnock

4 x Blackbird

3 x House Sparrow

6 x Goldfinch

3 x Great ######

2 x Robin

2 x Blue ######

1 x Woodpigeon

1 x Songthrush

1 x Wren

2 x Collared Dove

2 x Greater Spotted Woodpecker

1 x Greenfinch

There's a few that didn't turn up at the allotted time, but that's how the system works.

Here's my tally:

2 x Dunnock

4 x Blackbird

3 x House Sparrow

6 x Goldfinch

3 x Great ######

2 x Robin

2 x Blue ######

1 x Woodpigeon

1 x Songthrush

1 x Wren

2 x Collared Dove

1 x Greenfinch

There's a few that didn't turn up at the allotted time, but that's how the system works.

Not a bad visual haul that - I wasn't in the weekend but I've done it in the past. What kind of area are you in (rural, semi rural, urban, prison)?

Not a bad visual haul that - I wasn't in the weekend but I've done it in the past. What kind of area are you in (rural, semi rural, urban, prison)?

Do it tomorrow, they'll never know.

In a village, woodland garden, and backing on to farmland.

I frequently see green woodpeckers, and as many as three at a time, and more rarely a lesser spotted, but not over the weekend, so that was a bit disappointing. I've not seen a siskin for quite some time, and they would normally eat nyger seed, if they could get past the goldfinches.

Do it tomorrow, they'll never know.

In a village, woodland garden, and backing on to farmland.

I frequently see green woodpeckers, and as many as three at a time, and more rarely a lesser spotted, but not over the weekend, so that was a bit disappointing. I've not seen a siskin for quite some time, and they would normally eat nyger seed, if they could get past the goldfinches.

That'd be fraud!

They'll be one less starling visiting my feeders if the testimony of my wife having seen a sparrow-hawk ripping one to pieces by the kitchen window this morning is to be believed.

Here's my tally:

2 x Dunnock

4 x Blackbird

3 x House Sparrow

6 x Goldfinch

3 x Great ######

2 x Robin

2 x Blue ######

1 x Woodpigeon

1 x Songthrush

1 x Wren

2 x Collared Dove

1 x Greenfinch

Here's mine for comparison

2 x Dunnock

3 x Blackbird

4 x H/sparrow

1 x Robin

2 x Bluetit

1 Collared Dove

2 x Greenfinch

1 x Jackdaw

1 x Long Tailed ######

3 x Chaffinch

4 x Starlings

That's the worst count I've had since I started five years ago. I usually make 13 or more species with at least one or more of the less common types.

Just as I mailed it off though a flock of Redwings landed in the flowerbeds - Sod's law!

I have never seen a redwing in my garden. If they have been there, I've failed to identify them. I had a bullfinch last week, but not in the hour allocated. Brilliant vivid red. I often get troops of rooks. I may have jackdaws, but have been mixing them up with carrion crows.

I'm guessing you don't put out nyger seed?

• 2 weeks later...