spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 6:35 PM, Red Willow said:

In the last 30 mins our bird table saw a nuthatch, and woodpecker and a kestrel visiting

:blink:

What piqued the Kestrel's interest?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

28 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

On 06/09/2017 at 6:35 PM, Red Willow said:

In the last 30 mins our bird table saw a nuthatch, and woodpecker and a kestrel visiting

So, you sat in the garden and had a cider and a lager. I presume nuthatch is the name of a brewery. ;) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

30 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

No idea, possibly all the goldfinches we have.

The kestrel returned again tonight sitting on top of the pole of the bird feeder about 5 feet from the conservatory where I was sat. Shame I didn't have any sort of camera handy

• 2 months later...

The day was livened up by a stoat savaging a rabbit in the car park. Rabbit was over twice its size! I'd post the video but its NSFW!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

16 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The day was livened up by a stoat savaging a rabbit in the car park. Rabbit was over twice its size! I'd post the video but its NSFW!

Did the stoat have a black tip on its tail? Presumably the stoat bit the rabbit on its neck....

Stoats have interesting reproductive habits, including delayed egg implantation and males often impregnating female kits before the latter have been weaned.

12 minutes ago, longboard said:

Did the stoat have a black tip on its tail? Presumably the stoat bit the rabbit on its neck....

Stoats have interesting reproductive habits, including delayed egg implantation and males often impregnating female kits before the latter have been weaned.

Yup black tip on the tail, and was biting the back of the neck.  

We were debating whether it was a Stoat or a weasel, but it was pretty small, red/brown coat with white belly and black tip on the tail.

Edited by Bedford Roughyed

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

17 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yup black tip on the tail, and was biting the back of the neck.  

We were debating whether it was a Stoat or a weasel, but it was pretty small, red/brown coat with white belly and black tip on the tail.

The black tip is the key. 

Weasels are significantly smaller, don't have black tips on the tail and the border between the brown and white colours on their bellies is not as clearly defined as on a stoat.

6 minutes ago, longboard said:

The black tip is the key. 

Weasels are significantly smaller, don't have black tips on the tail and the border between the brown and white colours on their bellies is not as clearly defined as on a stoat.

I might edit the video, but its a bit of a rabbit snuff movie!

7 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Had a close encounter with this fearless little nuthatch this morning in the park.  :)

IMG_0656.jpg

Beautiful shot, thanks for sharing.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 8/10/2017 at 8:45 PM, longboard said:

An example of the illegal persecution faced by birds of prey taking place ot many miles from where many posters on here live:-

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2017/08/10/video-of-marsh-harrier-persecution-on-north-yorkshire-grouse-moor/

If you care about what happens to our birdlife, then please sign this https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/201443

the illegal killing of raptors on Driven Grouse Moors is a ecological disgrace. It is not anti shooting, even the BASC are starting to question this.

here is a peer reviewed report on what's happening to Golden Eagles in Scotland. They disappear on Grouse Moors.

analyses-of-the-fates-of-satellite-track

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/11/insect-declines-new-alarm-over-mayfly-is-tip-of-iceberg-warn-experts

Modest levels of pollution found in many English rivers are having a devastating impact on mayflies, new research suggests, killing about 80% of all eggs.

Clouds of emerging mayflies were once a regular sight on English summer evenings and they are a key part of the food chain that supports fish, birds and mammals. The finding that even pollution well below guidelines can cause serious harm adds to concerns about plummeting insect numbers.

In October, a study found that the abundance of flying insects has plunged by 75% in 25 years, prompting warnings that the world is “on course for ecological Armageddon”, with profound impacts on human society.

• 5 weeks later...

Im just watching a bird of prey devouring a pigeon on my lawn it is about  30 cm beak to tail. Has a grey breast and legs it has white flashes on the back of its head and a narrow one piece fan shaped tail.the tail has broad bands across it.

When it started eating the pigeon was alive for a good 5 minutes and continued to struggle even though it was having its breast ripped apart

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

6 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Im just watching a bird of prey devouring a pigeon on my lawn it is about  30 cm beak to tail. Has a grey breast and legs it has white flashes on the back of its head and a narrow one piece fan shaped tail.the tail has broad bands across it.

When it started eating the pigeon was alive for a good 5 minutes and continued to struggle even though it was having its breast ripped apart

Sorry, must have read it wrong...this has to be the Toronto vs.Leigh thread from the game last week right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearman said:

Sounds like a female sparrowhawk (Accipiter Nisus) from the description and the behaviour. 

Did it make a mantle over the prey?

42 minutes ago, longboard said:

Sounds like a female sparrowhawk (Accipiter Nisus) from the description and the behaviour. 

Did it make a mantle over the prey?

No, it had its wings folded all the time. I was hoping it would spread them so that I could get an idea of its wing span.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow