Sign in to follow this  
voteronniegibbs

spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Remind me never to date any ex "girlfriends" of yours.

That's exactly what Des Lynam said.

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2018 at 11:09 PM, longboard said:

It sounds like it. The females and juveniles have the cream crown colouration. There should be plenty of marsh harriers around Blacktoft and surrounding areas at this time of year.

I read somewhere that their numbers were increasing along the Humber.

I also saw a large bird of prey overhead not far down the road. I assumed it was a buzzard but the markings under its wings weren't like a buzzard's. I'm wondering now if it was the female partner of the male I saw.

Do the rounds at Loweswater , Crummock and Basenthwaite in West Cumbria always plenty of Cuckoos around the fell sides over the lakes .

On 6/6/2018 at 7:50 AM, Bearman said:

682CE6B2-B52E-4CD2-872A-80B528393C2B.png

Now gone into a blue phase

1A675AE7-6907-48B8-B976-F3CB874BE19E.png

18 hours ago, Ullman said:

That's exactly what Des Lynam said.

It seems rather apt during a FIFA World Cup that I should offer you the opportunity to slot one home.

(Said Caroline Cossey, moments before the romance ended...)

Des now sticks to female company that he knows has never had any sort of cosmetic surgery...

Image result for des lynam

• Like 1

Wow!, and I mean wow!

Just heard a magpie making a commotion out front so had a look out and saw it in a stand off with a sparrowhawk in the middle of the street. Never seen a confrontation between these two types of bird so close up before so shot upstairs to get my phone for a photo but by the time I returned one of the #### local moggies had chased them off. 

I bloody hate cats.

• Like 2

One of the baby blackbirds  died after starting to sneeze then it became persistent , and three others have started to sneeze now . Never known it ?

This is the time of year when many birds start to drift south towards Africa.  If you live near a decent sized stretch of water, it's worth looking out for an osprey.  A female, born in 2016 at Loch Fleet, near Dornoch, north of Inverness, has been at Romsey in Hampshire for the last few days, presumably stocking up before heading across the channel and, in due course, the Med.

Luckily I live not far from the ospreys in the lakes 

Ospreys still drifting through Hampshire pretty well daily, albeit in penny numbers.  Quite a few hobby reports too.  They are, of course, summer residents and breeders hereabouts.  Now, I suspect, before they themselves head south over the channel, they are eagerly following the ever larger flocks of martins and swallows which are foregathering, particularly over inland water.

Saw a Little Egret by the banks of the Derwent behind the Workington Reds ground on Sunday , first time i`ve been lucky enough to see one .

On 9/11/2018 at 9:22 AM, ivans82 said:

Saw a Little Egret by the banks of the Derwent behind the Workington Reds ground on Sunday , first time i`ve been lucky enough to see one .

Started to see them in East Yorkshire within the last couple of years. Saw a Great White Egret at North Cave wetlands a few months back, the only one I've seen in this area.