Sign in to follow this  
Leeds Wire

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Recommended Posts

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

Forecasts I’ve seen suggest it will get as far as the M4 then turn to rain.

Lucky buggers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Put the car in reverse and hit the gas hard as I could as I pounded into the giant snowbank at the end of the laneway...barely made it through and hope I didn't damage the car...shoveled the laneway three times yesterday....the big lug is back from university and said he would plow it...better be done by lunch or there is going to be big trouble!....wife is worried that i might be too hard on the lad!

Ah the joys of winter!

It's Canada, isn't snow just one of those things like eating and breathing?

I spent one too-long winter exercise in Medicine Hat in Alberta.  That was "fun".  My lot had it nice and comfy in our permanently overheated arctic-modified Landrovers but others were out in it virtually all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Just got a foot and half of snow in the last 12 hours...settling in for a real slamming over the next few days...the Heavens have opened and the snow is really falling here!.

Get the household and the estate staff out pronto.

You are all in it together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ckn said:

It's Canada, isn't snow just one of those things like eating and breathing?

I spent one too-long winter exercise in Medicine Hat in Alberta.  That was "fun".  My lot had it nice and comfy in our permanently overheated arctic-modified Landrovers but others were out in it virtually all day.

You must have been with the engineers or logistics then????  Or medical?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longboard said:

Get the household and the estate staff out pronto.

You are all in it together.

Can't fit everyone into the one sled...oh Dear...what to do?

Snowing again now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warnings

10:59 AM EST Friday 08 December 2017
Snow squall warning in effect for:

  • Bruce Peninsula - Sauble Beach - Tobermory
  • Owen Sound - Blue Mountains - Northern Grey County
  • Saugeen Shores - Kincardine - Southern Bruce County

Snow squall activity will persist into this evening and are expected to weaken overnight.

Snowfall rates of a few cm per hour are likely under the strongest snow squall bands. However, the bands are expected to shift somewhat which will help limit accumulations. Local snowfall amounts may exceed 15 cm under the heaviest snow squalls.

Highways 21, 6 and 10 are likely to be affected.

Prepare for quickly changing and deteriorating travel conditions. Travel is expected to be hazardous due to reduced visibility in some locations. If visibility is reduced while driving, slow down, watch for tail lights ahead and be prepared to stop. Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

You must have been with the engineers or logistics then????  Or medical?

AAARRRRRRTTTTTTIIIIILLLLERRRRYYYY!  Forward observer lot, I got to sit in comfy warm wagons while the gun bunnies were all cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ckn said:

AAARRRRRRTTTTTTIIIIILLLLERRRRYYYY!  Forward observer lot, I got to sit in comfy warm wagons while the gun bunnies were all cold.

Some things never change!  Beautiful buttons one your uniforms though.  HA!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Some things never change!  Beautiful buttons one your uniforms though.  HA!

Agreed - some things never change; nobody likes the Artillery nowadays either! 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Agreed - some things never change; nobody likes the Artillery nowadays either! 😂

That’s just jealousy from infantry folk with their little pop guns.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ckn said:

That’s just jealousy from infantry folk with their little pop guns.

Of course we are jealous...but not about the guns...why don't you guys ever march anywhere; why always bummin' a ride...why is it infantry that does ALL the work ALL the time?

And Oh Ya....why didn't anyone tell me all this before I signed up for the god damned infantry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

England’s Premier Ski Resort (Yad Moss) not quite but nearly ready to go...

6FAE0203-5D6F-4423-9EDC-B45E1F5B486A.jpeg

Why include a mid summer shot though?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2017 at 1:16 AM, Kayakman said:

Just got a foot and half of snow in the last 12 hours...settling in for a real slamming over the next few days...the Heavens have opened and the snow is really falling here!.

Look on the bright side.

Four foot of snow outside your house is better than four foot of flood water inside it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Look on the bright side.

Four foot of snow outside your house is better than four foot of flood water inside it.

Ya, but wait until the spring melt/flooding!  Then the Lord blesses us with both...thinking of Florida more and more as a real alternative, but then you got the Hurricanes!...is no where safe?   People on here keep referring to Hull...is Hull a nice safe place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Of course we are jealous...but not about the guns...why don't you guys ever march anywhere; why always bummin' a ride...why is it infantry that does ALL the work ALL the time?

And Oh Ya....why didn't anyone tell me all this before I signed up for the god damned infantry!

I take it you don’t know much about the forward observer role then!  We spend about half our time with the infantry and the rest in forward recce positions that aren’t typical infantryman roles. No point having a forward observer where they can’t see the bad guys. 

Also, while infantry get to go lightweight, we usually still have our full packs plus two radios and spare batteries.

Infantry units have fancy Colours with all the battle names, we simply have Ubique (everywhere). 

;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ckn said:

I take it you don’t know much about the forward observer role then!  We spend about half our time with the infantry and the rest in forward recce positions that aren’t typical infantryman roles. No point having a forward observer where they can’t see the bad guys. 

Also, while infantry get to go lightweight, we usually still have our full packs plus two radios and spare batteries.

Infantry units have fancy Colours with all the battle names, we simply have Ubique (everywhere). 

;) 

I know all about forward observation posts!; I used to construct them so the artillery tourists could have somewhere to hide out of the weather conditions...then they would leave after getting to watch the fun and I would be tasked with taking them down!  I know (knew?)  the game.

And you can have as many packs/batteries that you want if you are self propelled or dumping it in  jeep...carrying a heavy pack for a short stroll doesn't count!

We all know who the real human mules are...but I like you artillery guys anyways...always good for some comic relief in the mess!

Edited by Kayakman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Why include a mid summer shot though?

If you can ski in mid-summer in the UK, you can ski anywhere in any conditions! Train hard, fight (ski) easy...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I know all about forward observation posts!; I used to construct them so the artillery tourists could have somewhere to hide out of the weather conditions...then they would leave after getting to watch the fun and I would be tasked with taking them down!  I know (knew?)  the game.

And you can have as many packs/batteries that you want if you are self propelled or dumping it in  jeep...carrying a heavy pack for a short stroll doesn't count!

We all know who the real human mules are...but I like you artillery guys anyways...always good for some comic relief in the mess!

Isn't that part of the job of an infantryman?  Doing the grunt work for those of us with "thinking" jobs? ;)

WAAAY off topic for the thread (and I do apologise) but I remember one exercise, the infantry lot were sniggering at us having our 100 pound backpacks (45kg) while they were down to lightweight overnight kit only while doing a forced march hill takeover and defensive dig-in.  10k-ish cross country forced march, we were knackered, my boss then called in a favour... We sat watching the infantry lot trench up, one of their officers said "you'd better get yours done before light goes", just at that time a Royal Engineers' JCB pulled up, scooped out our trench in 10 minutes and we did the fancy tidy-up stuff before settling down :D I've never felt so smug in my life.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see there are yellow snow warnings in place.  Do you really have to be told this? DO NOT EAT YELLOW SNOW.

Silly people...

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposed to be works Christmas party tonight but it’s snowing like nobody’s business up here so we’re throwing some logs on the burner and battening down the hatches 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ckn said:

Isn't that part of the job of an infantryman?  Doing the grunt work for those of us with "thinking" jobs? ;)

WAAAY off topic for the thread (and I do apologise) but I remember one exercise, the infantry lot were sniggering at us having our 100 pound backpacks (45kg) while they were down to lightweight overnight kit only while doing a forced march hill takeover and defensive dig-in.  10k-ish cross country forced march, we were knackered, my boss then called in a favour... We sat watching the infantry lot trench up, one of their officers said "you'd better get yours done before light goes", just at that time a Royal Engineers' JCB pulled up, scooped out our trench in 10 minutes and we did the fancy tidy-up stuff before settling down :D I've never felt so smug in my life.

I always suspected the Artillery and Combat Engineers were up  to no good together...now I have my proof!

Good story...must have been a British Unit though...if that had been me I certainly would have sent over the Warrant to commandeer that vehicle...talk to the Major about it later...the men would be watching and the men would like this (especially the Warrant)...win them over and all that jazz ya know.

Thanks for the free backhoe Man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Jan 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here