Food and drink thread

Beef casserole cooking in the oven. Proper winter food. Not sure whether to bother doing dumplings.

How about doing some mash to soak up the juices? Or some chunky bread

I like dumps but they lie a bit heavy sometimes

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I like dumps but they lie a bit heavy sometimes

If your dumplings are heavy you're making them wrong - too much fat, not enough raising agent and/or overworking the mix. I generally use butter rather than suet, self-raising flour with another small teaspoon of baking powder. Season well, add herbs, cheese and other flavouring. Work the fat in with a table knife with minimal use of your hands. Cold water to bring together, divide into equal sized dumplings about size of a golf ball. Rest in the fridge. Add to stew/casserole for ½ hour. Serve. Eat. Collapse in contentment!

• 2 weeks later...

Horseradish vodka. I didn't have any mixers available last night, so tried a tiny nip of it on its own. Interesting...

It came in a three-pack with the other two flavours being cucumber and blackcurrant. I haven't tried them yet.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I recently bought a catering grade mincer that also makes sausages- relax timtum I'm not after your gig

I'll never buy shop bought mince again the difference is amazing and makes you realise what goes into shop bought mince

It is extremely easy to keep clean and stashes away unobstrusively

Keeping it local

I recently bought a catering grade mincer that also makes sausages- relax timtum I'm not after your gig

I'll never buy shop bought mince again the difference is amazing and makes you realise what goes into shop bought mince

It is extremely easy to keep clean and stashes away unobstrusively

You can also regulate the amount of fat that you get in your mince to your own preference.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've bought a couple of partridges (Lidl again) for tonight. :) Stuff 'em with chestnuts, lard 'em with bacon, then roast.

My favourite game bird

Plenty of meat on em very tasty very sweet

And as you illustrate no need to #### about with em

Keeping it local

Horseradish vodka. I didn't have any mixers available last night, so tried a tiny nip of it on its own. Interesting...

It came in a three-pack with the other two flavours being cucumber and blackcurrant. I haven't tried them yet.

The meal that changed my life (in that it made my insides implode never to be repaired) finished with a glass of garlic eau de vie.  Crikey!

Cucumber and gin go together fantastically well.

I went into a local butchers today that has been recommended to me.

It seems they supply all the local butchers with sausages. There was a sign that stated " we make 10,000 sausages a week"!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

My favourite game bird

Plenty of meat on em very tasty very sweet

And as you illustrate no need to #### about with em

My absolute top game bird is pigeon, but finding it in the shops ain't easy. Waitrose sometimes have pigeon breasts during the winter months, but not every branch, and the shelf is often empty when I get there. Oriental City used to have them in the frozen section, but they've been closed for years now. 

Donald Russell do them, but ordering online and being there to take delivery is a bit of a faff.

Cooking pigeon breasts is quick and simple.

• Heat oil in a hot pan.
  • Season the meat lightly with salt.
  • Fry on one side for 90 seconds.
  • Flip the breasts over, add a bit of butter and fry for another 90 seconds, basting the top of the meat with the butter.
  • Remove from the pan, wrap the breasts loosely in foil, having poured the cooking juices over them and seasoned them with pepper. Rest for a few minutes somewhere warm.

Heaven on a plate.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I rather like a nice G&T...but then I am a RU fan so that may not come as a surprise to many.

Actually tell a lie, earlier this year I went to a restaurant in Cardiff that had lots of different gins and tonics and made a big deal of pairing these. We tried a few but to be honest none of them were particularly nice.

I will stick with my Bombay Sapphire and tesco tonic water.

Actually tell a lie, earlier this year I went to a restaurant in Cardiff that had lots of different gins and tonics and made a big deal of pairing these. We tried a few but to be honest none of them were particularly nice.

I will stick with my Bombay Sapphire and tesco tonic water.

If you can find it, try Opihr gin, which is lightly spiced. Very tasty. Pretty bottle, too. Sainsbury's own brand tonic water is pretty good, and half the price of the rather insipid Schweppes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Homemade sloe gin is extremely good.

As is damson gin - a Cumbrian speciality, I am told.

Ralph Waldo Emerson