Food and drink thread

Prepare to have your socks blown off TRLers.

So I made my porridge 20 minutes ago. The usual; oats, milk, hot water and sugar blasted in the microwave, "so what?" you may think. Ahh, but first off the boiling water was poured on a teaspoon of instant coffee.

Yes, coffee porridge...

Boom!

A favourite of mine when on exercise in the army was to take the dire porridge and mix it with the dire hot chocolate sachet. Luxury :)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 3 weeks later...

Venison casserole in the slow cooker - started yesterday, then cooled overnight and re-heated for this evening. Flavours used were red wine, smoked garlic, thyme, juniper oil, balsamic vinegar and, as a new experiment, cumin powder. Cumin will be in future game casseroles, definitely!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Exactly what the video description says it is. Not exactly Nigella.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dunno whether i should mention this as i want to be able to get some but...here goes...

Aldi selling Wagyu beef tomorrow for £7

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/aldi?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=oneliner-two&utm_term=10-Jun-14-v2&utm_campaign=deals&utm_content=3

Dunno whether i should mention this as i want to be able to get some but...here goes...Aldi selling Wagyu beef tomorrow for £7

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/aldi?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=oneliner-two&utm_term=10-Jun-14-v2&utm_campaign=deals&utm_content=3

Max 2 per customer

Sold out by the time the wife got there at 10:45 :(

Cooling off with a cocktail - 1 third prosecco, 2 thirds (Sainsbury) white grape & peach juice. Almost a Bellini and very refreshing on a day like this.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

I had lunch here today - Caravan Kings Cross - and the food was excellent. Flatbread with yoghurt, pork croquettes with lime mayonnaise and trout with samphire and caper butter.

Outside on the square, little children played in the fountains, people lazed in the free deckchairs or on the terraces leading down to the canalside. The street food stalls were also doing good business. What has been done to a formerly run down no-go area is wonderful. :) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had lunch here today - Caravan Kings Cross - and the food was excellent. Flatbread with yoghurt, pork croquettes with lime mayonnaise and trout with samphire and caper butter.

Outside on the square, little children played in the fountains, people lazed in the free deckchairs or on the terraces leading down to the canalside. The street food stalls were also doing good business. What has been done to a formerly run down no-go area is wonderful. :)

There's a Dishoom (Bombay cafe) and a Terence Conran restaurant opening there soon, too. The old coal drop buildings are being turned into shops and Waitrose are opening a supermarket and cookery school there.

Even the annoying hipsters are catered for, thanks to Shrimpy's.

http://www.kingscross.co.uk/eating-and-drinking

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The next Kerb Saturday on Granary Square (Kings Cross) is this weekend. Food stalls booked to appear are as follows:

Batch Bakery - brownies and stuff

BBQ Lab - barbeque-finished sous-vide meat

Crabbieshack - seafood from Folkestone

Donostia Social Club - pinxtos (Basque tapas)

Good & Proper Tea

Ice Kitchen - ices and lollies

Kimchinary - tacos and burritos with kimchi

Miss P's Barbecue - jamaican-style barbecue

MotoYogo - frozen yoghurts

Noble Espresso

Rainbo - gyoza dumplings

Sorbitium Ices

Square Root - soft drinks

Tacochu - tex-mex

The Cake Doctor

The Cheese Truck - grilled cheese sandwiches

The Grilling Greek - char-grilled meat

Tongue 'N Cheek - their 'Belly Connection' is one of the finest burgers I've ever had.

Well Kneaded - pizza

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There's a Dishoom (Bombay cafe) and a Terence Conran restaurant opening there soon, too. The old coal drop buildings are being turned into shops and Waitrose are opening a supermarket and cookery school there.

Even the annoying hipsters are catered for, thanks to Shrimpy's.

http://www.kingscross.co.uk/eating-and-drinking

What are these hipsters you speak of?

The term is in increasing use and seems to coincide with an increase in people. 'On the street' with short back and sides huge ugly beards or attempts at them, jackets that are too small and extremely tight trousers. Are they one and the same? What is the nature of this phenomenon?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

A beard full of 'product', an ironic pork pie hat, the latest Apple laptop/tablet, skinny strides and probably a career in PR or marketing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A beard full of 'product', an ironic pork pie hat, the latest Apple laptop/tablet, skinny strides and probably a career in PR or marketing.

Aye there the ones

T its

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Keeping it local

Apparently, beards are no longer hipster-chic. Too many people have them apparently.

Same goes for those rubbish Beats headphones.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

there was one at the bus stop near tiger tiger when I was coming home from my guitar lesson.

I didn't say anything

They're the type of people who buy LPs on Record Store Day but don't actually own a turntable. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

They're the type of people who buy LPs on Record Store Day but don't actually own a turntable. 

do they buy lomo  cameras and not take pictures with them?

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Keeping it local

I have a big silly beard, and jeans that are too tight for me (cos I can't afford any larger sizes at the mo).

Am I a hipster?

Perhaps not as the Hull FC fans the other week unkindly referred to me as a grumpy Father Christmas.

Foodwise, and back on topic, I had a fantastic salad, chicken, onion wrap on Saturday night in Perpignan.  €4 and it was worth every centime.  Late night, fast food at its finest.

The other day in Java I had a meal of freshly killed (killed right in front of me) cobra followed by a big dish of fruit bat - wings and body.

A few days before that I gorged on a juicy dish of satay horse.

The cobra especially was delicious...as was the chaser of cobra blood and Chinese whisky mixed together.

Monkey was also on the menu but they had run out.

Edited by Copa

• 2 weeks later...

Just taken the marinaded meat out of the fridge for tonight's Curry Goat. This is my second attempt at this dish, but the first one where I've looked up recipes and tips to do it properly. The smell of the seasoned meat is already very promising.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

went to my mother's to do tidy her garden up a bit:

big mug of tea and some fresh home made scones before setting off back home, beautiful. We had a good chat about stuff and some gaps were filled about one or two things.

I know she's my mam, but there is nothing to touch those scones.

Keeping it local

Back from and expotition (sic) to Borough Market. The Iberico pork fillet and the morcilla (Spanish black pudding with rice) will be part of a sort of Pork Wellington thing tomorrow. The pigeon breasts and the Lord London cheese will be for the weekend, while the Scotch Pie and Wild Boar Scotch Egg have already been devoured.

The box of mixed macarons are for later tonight when the munchies strike.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back from and expotition (sic) to Borough Market. The Iberico pork fillet and the morcilla (Spanish black pudding with rice) will be part of a sort of Pork Wellington thing tomorrow. The pigeon breasts and the Lord London cheese will be for the weekend, while the Scotch Pie and Wild Boar Scotch Egg have already been devoured.

The box of mixed macarons are for later tonight when the munchies strike.

Sometimes I really do wonder if you are a RL fan. You are doing their stereotype no good whatsoever.....but if you ever have a spare place at the dinner table I would be delighted to fill it. I'll bring the wine.

Expected news: A Yorkshire beer is voted the best in Britain.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11404433.Keighley_beer_is_voted_best_in_Britain/?ref=mr

This award gives affirmation of the old adage that Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Obviously, in Keighley, they drink to forget.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police