Food and drink thread

I have just listed the recipe from keith Floyd s book circa 1987. Is this a cassoulet recipe?

He says it is.

The Floyd one looks like Cassoulet to me. The cloves, tomatoes, tomato puree and smoked sausage may be a regional variation, but the overall ingredients are what you'd expect.

It is a pretty fatty dish, and not something you ought to have too often, but done right, it is delicious.

Edit: the Hairy Bikers do take a fair few liberties with traditional recipes. This doesn't mean it will be bad, just different (sometimes a lot different) from the original. 

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

To be fair, cassoulet round these parts of S France is a bit of a hotch potch of whatever you want to throw into it.

Another one of the "classic" dishes that originate from the "whatever you have left in the larder" school of cooking.

I've seen and eaten cassoulets with chicken, duck, pork, lamb, beef?!, and all have had the beans thing in common but not much else. 

To be fair, cassoulet round these parts of S France is a bit of a hotch potch of whatever you want to throw into it.

Another one of the "classic" dishes that originate from the "whatever you have left in the larder" school of cooking.

I've seen and eaten cassoulets with chicken, duck, pork, lamb, beef?!, and all have had the beans thing in common but not much else. 

Exactly cassoulet i think means stewpot.

• 3 weeks later...

My new oven seems to hold its temperature pretty well, although the dial isn't all that accurate. So I bought an oven thermometer to get a more accurate reading on what it is actually doing.

The markings on the dial start at 75 degrees (Centigrade), but there's about quarter of the dial unmarked below that. The thermometer helped at this point.

Sooooo... I did a sous-vide tonight, in a big casserole pan of water which I left in the oven to achieve 55 degrees centigrade. Part-smoked salmon fillets, in a zip-lock bag with butter, tarragon and chives. Cooked for about 50 minutes and served with mashed potatoes and steamed runner beans. A complete success!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My new oven seems to hold its temperature pretty well, although the dial isn't all that accurate. So I bought an oven thermometer to get a more accurate reading on what it is actually doing.

The markings on the dial start at 75 degrees (Centigrade), but there's about quarter of the dial unmarked below that. The thermometer helped at this point.

Sooooo... I did a sous-vide tonight, in a big casserole pan of water which I left in the oven to achieve 55 degrees centigrade. Part-smoked salmon fillets, in a zip-lock bag with butter, tarragon and chives. Cooked for about 50 minutes and served with mashed potatoes and steamed runner beans. A complete success!

I find sous-vide salmon texturally and visually odd and frankly unappealing.

I find sous-vide salmon texturally and visually odd and frankly unappealing.

Not for everyone, perhaps. But it is very tender and the flavour of the salmon and everything you put in the bag with it is unadulterated..

You could, of course, finish the salmon in a hot frying pan, to give it a more traditional look on the outside.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I bought 6 oysters from Tesco tonight for a £1.

I'm hoping they all work!

The first oyster I ever had was on the seafront at Scarborough. Wonderfully fresh!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay, sous-vide again tonight; this time, a sirloin steak. I will finish it in a hot frying pan with oil and butter, to get a good crust on the outside.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

is the sous vide just an 'experiment' or do you prefer the taste when it's cooked that way?

Regarding pigeon etc, i couldn't think of anything better than roasting it on the bone.

Good couple of teas recently.

Pho last night with sirloin. Not a fan of a rice noodle though, might experiment with an egg noodle.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

is the sous vide just an 'experiment' or do you prefer the taste when it's cooked that way?

Regarding pigeon etc, i couldn't think of anything better than roasting it on the bone.

Good couple of teas recently.

Pho last night with sirloin. Not a fan of a rice noodle though, might experiment with an egg noodle.

Pigeon is one of my favourite meats (when I can get it), but game is prone to drying out and becoming tough if you're not careful when roasting.

I will try the sous-vide method next time I get some pigeon, as it means there is zero moisture loss and could be good for game in general. I was tempted by a venison steak at Sainsbury's today, but decided to have a go at it later.

Meat cooked this way can be pink/red in the middle, juicy and tasty but still tender to eat and hot all the way through. 

I have a slow cooker, which has been a great way to enjoy more cuts of more meats, and sous-vide is in some ways a progression from that. Fergus Henderson's combination of guinea fowl (or small chicken) with leeks works really well in the slow cooker.

I'm with you on the noodle thing - rice noodles are a bit 'meh' and need a thick sauce to coat them and add flavour. Egg noodles might work better with pho, although I haven't tried it. What about Udon noodles? A fusion too far perhaps?

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

After 9 curries in 10 nights, for my latest farewell to the UK I am making my wife a fillet steak, red wine and onion gravy, potato dauphinoise and broccoli tea tonight.

After 9 curries in 10 nights, for my latest farewell to the UK I am making my wife a fillet steak, red wine and onion gravy, potato dauphinoise and broccoli tea tonight.

Broccoli tea? Weirdo. ;) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pigeon is one of my favourite meats (when I can get it), but game is prone to drying out and becoming tough if you're not careful when roasting.

I will try the sous-vide method next time I get some pigeon, as it means there is zero moisture loss and could be good for game in general. I was tempted by a venison steak at Sainsbury's today, but decided to have a go at it later.

Meat cooked this way can be pink/red in the middle, juicy and tasty but still tender to eat and hot all the way through. 

I have a slow cooker, which has been a great way to enjoy more cuts of more meats, and sous-vide is in some ways a progression from that. Fergus Henderson's combination of guinea fowl (or small chicken) with leeks works really well in the slow cooker.

I'm with you on the noodle thing - rice noodles are a bit 'meh' and need a thick sauce to coat them and add flavour. Egg noodles might work better with pho, although I haven't tried it. What about Udon noodles? A fusion too far perhaps?

I like the art of roasting... 

Udon noodles is a good shout actually. I need to up my Asian game as we approach some nice weather.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I like the art of roasting...

Yes, but is it roasting or baking?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay, I gave a venison steak a go by this method tonight. About an hour at 55-ish degrees Centigrade. Then, briefly finished in a hot frying pan with a butter/oil mix, to caramelise the outside. The juices from cooking and some red wine were used to deglaze the pan, and that was it for the gravy.

The result? Tender as fillet steak, with all the juice locked in. Unfortunately, I had not seasoned sufficiently, but that was remedied by slicing the steak and grinding a little S'n'P on top.

Served with roast sweet potato wedges and runner beans.

I will be visiting Borough Market tomorrow and they'd better have some pigeon or hare on one of the butchers' stalls, because this looks like a way of making game meats foolproof.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you still let the bad boy rest?

ps, i love Borough Market. I could move to London to drink around there alone.

According to general online opinion, you don't have to rest it as long as with normal cooking. I'd agree and this is good, as a steak cools down pretty quickly.

Some of the former Borough Market stallholders have started their own alternative fairly nearby at Maltby Street: http://www.maltby.st/

I haven't had the opportunity to visit it yet, but you might want to check it out.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Having a cheese evening. Camembert, brie, Roquefort and Gorgonzola. Wife won't come anywhere near me because of the smell of the cheese.

Just polished off the last of the Manchego. Tasty.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chicken nasi goreng tonight. Well, sort of - it is supposed to be served with a fried egg and when I was preparing to cook, I realised I was out of eggs.

I couldn't be bothered to go back and get some. So, an incomplete nasi goreng, then... still damn tasty though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chicken nasi goreng tonight. Well, sort of - it is supposed to be served with a fried egg and when I was preparing to cook, I realised I was out of eggs.

I couldn't be bothered to go back and get some. So, an incomplete nasi goreng, then... still damn tasty though.

I think it's entirely acceptable to have it with our without egg. It's lovely either way!

I think it's entirely acceptable to have it with our without egg. It's lovely either way!

Better with than without, though. Especially as I finished the last duck egg only last week.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson