Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

1,028 posts in this topic

Roasted butternut squash. Delicious.

Nice, and the only squash you can get all year round, but not the tastiest. Waitrose sometimes have a wider variety, if you're interested.

General hints'n'tips for Borough Market, seeing as someone asked via PM and it is worth fitting into a London trip. 

Upside of Borough Market - lots of quality produce all in one place, plus stalls where you can buy stuff to eat straight away.

Downside - VERY crowded at some times of some days. Normally, I can only get there on Saturday, due to their restricted opening times, and Saturday is when everyone in my situation goes. If you can get there early, it's a good idea.

It is a bit of a labyrinth, so if you spot something and think "I'll take a look at that later", finding it again can involve a bit of wandering around.

There are people who knock Borough Market, especially as it has become more well-known, and some produce can be pricey, but if you take your time, buy a glass of something to sip and tour all the stalls before you start buying,

Then start with the heavy/hard stuff (meat, bottles etc.) and work your way through to the light and fragile (the selection of mushrooms is excellent at the big vegetable stall) and you'll end up poor but happy. Ask to take a look through the freezer at Exotic Meats, as what they have up front is just the burgers.

I don't really look at this thread that often, hence the late reply, but a real treat of Borough Market is the Turkish food stall, the Turkish Delights they have there are just outstanding.  I get a big box worth every time I go.

Just having a punnet of the first of this year's British strawberries.  A real pleasure after a winter of bland furrin strawberries.

I don't really look at this thread that often, hence the late reply, but a real treat of Borough Market is the Turkish food stall, the Turkish Delights they have there are just outstanding.  I get a big box worth every time I go.

The Spanish shop Brindisa, last time I was there, had some very nice morcilla (the type with rice). If you like black pudding, you'll certainly love morcilla!

The Spanish shop Brindisa, last time I was there, had some very nice morcilla (the type with rice). If you like black pudding, you'll certainly love morcilla!

I think I had some of that last year, didn't really hit it with me, maybe it was just an off day.

I find that if you go to Borough Market to buy standard stuff then you'll come away disappointed, I only get the treats and stuff I can't get elsewhere at the same quality.  There are some great stalls with great produce but also a fair few chancers and mark-up merchants who'll sell you very average stuff at greatly inflated prices.

The meat stalls are worth the trip on their own, especially for game, while the big vegetable stall has a remarkable selection of mushrooms. I don't tend to buy booze at the market, as it is heavy to carry home.

There are several stals, as you say, selling run-of-the-mill produce, but if you take your time and cherrypick, it is worth the journey. Don't just graze the free stuff - it marks you out as a cheapskate. Visit a few times, and you will learn enough about the good traders to be in and out quickly without wasting money on tat.

Edited by Futtocks

I am slow roasting some pork belly with lots of herbs. The house smells fantastic. I am sat here nearly drooling while waiting for it to be ready.

Prepare to have your socks blown off TRLers.

So I made my porridge 20 minutes ago. The usual; oats, milk, hot water and sugar blasted in the microwave, "so what?" you may think. Ahh, but first off the boiling water was poured on a teaspoon of instant coffee.

Yes, coffee porridge...

Boom!

So I made my porridge 20 minutes ago. The usual; oats, milk, hot water and sugar blasted in the microwave, "so what?" you may think. Ahh, but first off the boiling water was poured on a teaspoon of instant coffee.

Yes, coffee porridge...

Boom!

I don't like coffee or porridge so they seems doubly wrong.

So I made my porridge 20 minutes ago. The usual; oats, milk, hot water and sugar blasted in the microwave, "so what?" you may think. Ahh, but first off the boiling water was poured on a teaspoon of instant coffee.

Yes, coffee porridge...

Boom!

A favourite of mine when on exercise in the army was to take the dire porridge and mix it with the dire hot chocolate sachet. Luxury :)

Venison casserole in the slow cooker - started yesterday, then cooled overnight and re-heated for this evening. Flavours used were red wine, smoked garlic, thyme, juniper oil, balsamic vinegar and, as a new experiment, cumin powder. Cumin will be in future game casseroles, definitely!

Exactly what the video description says it is. Not exactly Nigella.

Dunno whether i should mention this as i want to be able to get some but...here goes...Aldi selling Wagyu beef tomorrow for £7

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/aldi?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=oneliner-two&utm_term=10-Jun-14-v2&utm_campaign=deals&utm_content=3

Max 2 per customer

Sold out by the time the wife got there at 10:45 :(

Cooling off with a cocktail - 1 third prosecco, 2 thirds (Sainsbury) white grape & peach juice. Almost a Bellini and very refreshing on a day like this.

I had lunch here today - Caravan Kings Cross - and the food was excellent. Flatbread with yoghurt, pork croquettes with lime mayonnaise and trout with samphire and caper butter.

Outside on the square, little children played in the fountains, people lazed in the free deckchairs or on the terraces leading down to the canalside. The street food stalls were also doing good business. What has been done to a formerly run down no-go area is wonderful. :) 

I had lunch here today - Caravan Kings Cross - and the food was excellent. Flatbread with yoghurt, pork croquettes with lime mayonnaise and trout with samphire and caper butter.

Outside on the square, little children played in the fountains, people lazed in the free deckchairs or on the terraces leading down to the canalside. The street food stalls were also doing good business. What has been done to a formerly run down no-go area is wonderful. :)

There's a Dishoom (Bombay cafe) and a Terence Conran restaurant opening there soon, too. The old coal drop buildings are being turned into shops and Waitrose are opening a supermarket and cookery school there.

Even the annoying hipsters are catered for, thanks to Shrimpy's.

http://www.kingscross.co.uk/eating-and-drinking

The next Kerb Saturday on Granary Square (Kings Cross) is this weekend. Food stalls booked to appear are as follows:

Batch Bakery - brownies and stuff

BBQ Lab - barbeque-finished sous-vide meat

Crabbieshack - seafood from Folkestone

Donostia Social Club - pinxtos (Basque tapas)

Good & Proper Tea

Ice Kitchen - ices and lollies

Kimchinary - tacos and burritos with kimchi

Miss P's Barbecue - jamaican-style barbecue

MotoYogo - frozen yoghurts

Noble Espresso

Rainbo - gyoza dumplings

Sorbitium Ices

Square Root - soft drinks

Tacochu - tex-mex

The Cake Doctor

The Cheese Truck - grilled cheese sandwiches

The Grilling Greek - char-grilled meat

Tongue 'N Cheek - their 'Belly Connection' is one of the finest burgers I've ever had.

Well Kneaded - pizza

There's a Dishoom (Bombay cafe) and a Terence Conran restaurant opening there soon, too. The old coal drop buildings are being turned into shops and Waitrose are opening a supermarket and cookery school there.

Even the annoying hipsters are catered for, thanks to Shrimpy's.

http://www.kingscross.co.uk/eating-and-drinking

What are these hipsters you speak of?

The term is in increasing use and seems to coincide with an increase in people. 'On the street' with short back and sides huge ugly beards or attempts at them, jackets that are too small and extremely tight trousers. Are they one and the same? What is the nature of this phenomenon?

A beard full of 'product', an ironic pork pie hat, the latest Apple laptop/tablet, skinny strides and probably a career in PR or marketing.

A beard full of 'product', an ironic pork pie hat, the latest Apple laptop/tablet, skinny strides and probably a career in PR or marketing.

Aye there the ones

T its

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Apparently, beards are no longer hipster-chic. Too many people have them apparently.

Apparently, beards are no longer hipster-chic. Too many people have them apparently.

Same goes for those rubbish Beats headphones.

there was one at the bus stop near tiger tiger when I was coming home from my guitar lesson.

I didn't say anything