Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

Chicken breasts, seasoned with salt & pepper, coated on top with a layer of red pepper hummus, topped with a little lemon zest and smoked paprika. Baked in the oven for about 25 minutes. Very easy, very tasty.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, Futtocks said:

Hash browns, fried sprats, several wedges of lemon and some mayonnaise (the latter because I forgot to buy tartare sauce).

That's good eatin'!

Add finely chopped gherkin and capers, teaspoon of lemon juice and plenty of dill - voila - home-made tartare sauce. Miles better than shop bought.

Make sure the mayonnaise is Hellman's though.

Trying this place today, sounds promising.

http://www.theoldcowshedchisworth.co.uk/

Donny market.... a stall there sells the best black pud I've ever tasted....

Question.

Does anyone know if you can still buy weasand ? Tripey Lisa on Donny market says they'e not allowed to sell it anymore but wasn't sure if that was a country wide law or just her provider?

Edited by Robin Evans

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Donny market.... a stall there sells the best black pud I've ever tasted....

Question.

Does anyone know if you can still buy weasand ? Tripey Lisa on Donny market says they'e not allowed to sell it anymore but wasn't sure if that was a country wide law or just her provider?

Which animal's weasand are you looking for? Probably a decent chance of finding it would be at an Oriental supermarket.

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Which animal's weasand are you looking for? Probably a decent chance of finding it would be at an Oriental supermarket.

I think you can get it in China town in Leeds, at the top of vicar lane. Leeds China town is a shadow of its old self but you can still get some interesting examples of animal physiology. 

Personally, not for me. But I bet I've eaten a fair bit in some of the sausages I've had down the years.

Question.

Does anyone know if you can still buy weasand ?

I had to google that.

I wish I hadn't, I've just eaten.

9 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I had to google that.

I wish I hadn't, I've just eaten.

It tastes like pressed beef. If I ponced it up, served it on some crusty bread or a warm crouton with a savoury blackberry reduction...... you'd love it..... I think☺

38 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Beef would be my preference 

18 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Beef would be my preference 

It seems to be mainly sold dried, as a dog treat.

As it is beef gullet you want, I doubt that an Oriental supermarket would have it after all. They mostly do chicken and pork "bits".

I suppose, if you find a butcher that has direct links with a farm supplier, they might be able to get it for you.

Roast lamb (with honey & rosemary), mashed potatoes and sautéed samphire. Perfect food for the season.

Had roast lamb me sen....

Garlic n rosemary.....  washed down with a good cot from the Loire. 

Stuffed.

A bottle of Primitivo/Zinfandel from Italy's Salentino (the heel of the boot) region for me.

Been on a curing and smoking course all day.

I have a fridge full of vac packed salt beef, pancetta duck breast and pigs cheek curing away.

On top I have some proper corned beef pastrami and port glazed gammon....

What a day.....

Washing down with a black and a red from welbeck brewery

I've had worse fridays

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Been on a curing and smoking course all day.

I have a fridge full of vac packed salt beef, pancetta duck breast and pigs cheek curing away.

On top I have some proper corned beef pastrami and port glazed gammon....

What a day.....

Washing down with a black and a red from welbeck brewery

I've had worse fridays

Sounds interesting! Where did you do the course?

Had my own home cured bacon this morning.. ... bloody wonderful.

I haven't got a slicer so I had to carve it which meant the rashes were a little thicker than I would have liked, but it was very tasty.

Shared a lovely bottle of Laurent Perrier Cuvee Rose in Manchester on Friday night along with a few French Martinis.  

Funny thing was in this age of Prosecco, the young lad behind the bar was struggling to identify the classic bottle shape of the ‘LP’ in their wine cooler!  We got there in the end.

Anyway, I’m interested to know what fizz, sparklers, bubbly etc everyone has got lined up for Xmas and New Year?

Is anyone really pushing the boat out and if so what are you recommending?

So far I’ve accumulated:

Nyetimber Sparkling Rose (UK)

Chapel Down Sparkling Rose (UK)

Canard-Duchêne Rose (France)

Veuve Monsigny Brut NV (France)

Veuve Monsigny Rose (France)

I called into GH Porters butchers in Newark on my way to Lincoln on Friday.

I bought faggots wrapped in bacon, haslet and black pudding. I loved the faggots but my wife found them a bit too "livery". The black pudding was brilliant, enough small bits of fat to keep it moist without being over powering. The haslet was good too. I also bought a pork pie which I will try later, I regret not buying and trying their rabbit pie.

My sister and her husband had a shared birthday party over the weekend, as their actual birthdays are very close in December.

Apart from some bowls of crisps/nuts/twiglets, and some really nice sweet tarts (chocolate, lemon or Bakewell), they dealt with the main catering by hiring a fish'n'chip van. It pulled up outside the front door, served everyone and tallied up the amount served at the end of the evening as part of the hire cost.

Genius!

Can you believe it?...going to get some of these and throw them at the rabid Wolfpack fans during the home opener...will calm all those wild canines down.

Predicting this will be a best seller in Canada!

https://news.lift.co/5-cannabis-dog-treats-can-find-canadian-grey-market/

What is it about the bread and butter(sic) you get in fish and chip restaurants.

I can't get enough of it, yet it's limp, generic, supermarket white bread slathered in smegma.

2 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

What is it about the bread and butter(sic) you get in fish and chip restaurants.

I can't get enough of it, yet it's limp, generic, supermarket white bread slathered in smegma.

It is part of the sacred ritual. 

The wafers you get at communion aren't exactly a taste bud riot (and the wine's usually pretty rough too), but it wouldn't be proper without them.

• Haha 1