Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

8 hours ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Quarter them,fry them with some bacon.

Half them, wok them with chilli, garlic, ginger and a spash of soy & lime.. Chuck in some squid and beansprouts at the end.

Had that for me tea t'other day.

• Like 1

I cooked Jansson's Temptation this evening, and very nice it was too. Despite the simple ingredients, it is extremely rich, due to the cream and butter involved. Not an everyday dish then, but a fine treat for a cold Winter's evening.

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/janssons-temptation/

Thanks for the tips. I don't eat sprouts but I'm doing it for the wife. Going to mix both tips Going to quarter them, stir fry with bacon , onions and mushrooms and a dash of soy sauce served with chicken.

Been prepping veg for what seems like a week as work (T...O) has been clearing them at ridiculous prices. Got 3 kg of Carrots for 36p!

Next question apart from a soup any one got any alternative recipes for carrots, maybe a bit left field too?

Edited by Mumby Magic

Halve them, slice them, and use them as stuffing with chopped streaky bacon and (Maybe) Parmesan or Gorgonzola cheese in Portobello style Mushrooms

On a drink theme. Badger brewery dorset. - Blandford Flyer. Chuffing beautiful. I work for T...O but we don't stock it have to get it from my local shop! My in-laws lived 6 mile from their brewery/shop etc and despite having varied drinking routes along the way I never ventured there. Surprise and astonishment are the words. Try it. Classed as gingery golden beer!!

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, Mumby Magic said:

Anyone got any good, simple, alternative recipes for sprouts?

Halve them, quarter them steam them for 10 mins, then bin them.

10 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

On a drink theme. Badger brewery dorset. - Blandford Flyer. Chuffing beautiful. I work for T...O but we don't stock it have to get it from my local shop! My in-laws lived 6 mile from their brewery/shop etc and despite having varied drinking routes along the way I never ventured there. Surprise and astonishment are the words. Try it. Classed as gingery golden beer!!

Everything gingery is wonderful😊

12 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Badger beers are interesting... sometimes in a pleasant way. They do go for some unusual flavours, and the good ones are refreshingly different. You can get some of their beers in supermarkets, but not usually the whole range.

The Blandford Flyer is very nice.

Don't understand this.
Curly just made a Lancashire..... yes that's Lancashire .... hot pot. It was bloody gorgeous.
Why cant you buy this in pubs?
Rabbit stew.
Lob Scouse
Beef stew
Proper corned beef hash
These are the poodles swingers..... proper good snap. Why on earth can't pubs do this stuff???

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Don't understand this.
Curly just made a Lancashire..... yes that's Lancashire .... hot pot. It was bloody gorgeous.
Why cant you buy this in pubs?
Rabbit stew.
Lob Scouse
Beef stew
Proper corned beef hash
These are the poodles swingers..... proper good snap. Why on earth can't pubs do this stuff???

Maybe you aren't frequenting the right sort of pubs. :ph34r:

Apart from corned beef hash, the other recipes do take a long time to cook. But you could make them, portion them up and freeze them in advance. Of course, people would then start moaning about 'boil in a bag' catering. :rolleyes: 

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Rabbit stew.

Malta

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Lancashire .... hot pot.

Gods Gift to the world

The 2nd best hot pot (after my Grans) was in a pub in Darwin, when I got lost & I was starving.

What is it with tv chefs when they do mash?

It's always "sloppy mash". Too much butter and cream so the mash can be almost poured. Yak. I'd want to hurl.

Mash ..... for me at least needs to be much firmer

28 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

What is it with tv chefs when they do mash?

It's always "sloppy mash". Too much butter and cream so the mash can be almost poured. Yak. I'd want to hurl.

Mash ..... for me at least needs to be much firmer

I'd agree with that. While butter and cream is great for mashed potato, it shouldn't be a purée.

Easy peasy salmon stir fry recipe (serves 4-5):

Ingredients:
Salmon steaks, grilled or pan fried separately

Chopped veg: Pak Choi, red onion, red and green peppers, courgette/broccoli

Whole veg: Mange tout, endame beans from the freezer.

Tin of water chestnuts

Noodles or rice to serve

For the sauce:

A large dollop of minced garlic and ginger mix, soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, chilli flakes, fish sauce or shrimp paste (from Waitrose)

Instructions:

When the salmon is nearly ready, bung it all in a wok and fry it on a high heat.  Serve the salmon on top, all on a bed of rice or with the noodles stir-fried in.

Easy and utterly delicious!

Just roasted some Honduran Clave del Sol coffee beans. While I always come back to beans from Ethiopia/Kenya, which are the original and best to my taste, this makes a very nice brew indeed.

I haven't. The memsahib has.

Her version is more of a corned beef stew ..... made by shreading salted brisket into root veg and slow cooking. Served with yorkshires and is tonight's tea.

Mine is frying of2 an onion, adding shreaded brisket, thyme and mash... stiff mash and crisping up....

I can only eat 2-3 cwt of this... :wink:

Edited by Robin Evans