hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Home done corned beef for tea.....

Bloody good it was..... 

Recipe?

34 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Recipe?

I get a piece of topside and soak it in a brine incl curing salts with nitrate (i get mine from weschenfelder) and leave in the fridge for 3-4 days min.

I rinse off and stud with cloves.

Mix up black and white pepper, all spice, cayenne, nutmeg and and a pinch cinamon. I massage the rub mix into the beef and leave overnight.

I then braise the beef in water with the usuals carrotts celery onions... 150°c for about 5-6 hours.

Lately I've done a stein on it by adding new pots and cabbage for the last 60/30 mins..... to give a one pot tea....

Old school snap. Very tasty. Make good sarnies tomorrow with a touch of mustard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I get a piece of topside and soak it in a brine incl curing salts with nitrate (i get mine from weschenfelder) and leave in the fridge for 3-4 days min.

I rinse off and stud with cloves.

Mix up black and white pepper, all spice, cayenne, nutmeg and and a pinch cinamon. I massage the rub mix into the beef and leave overnight.

I then braise the beef in water with the usuals carrotts celery onions... 150°c for about 5-6 hours.

Lately I've done a stein on it by adding new pots and cabbage for the last 60/30 mins..... to give a one pot tea....

Old school snap. Very tasty. Make good sarnies tomorrow with a touch of mustard

I shall look into that, and maybe give it a go some time soon. Thanks especially for the recommendation for the nitrate supplier.

I did slow-roasted beef last weekend. I used a remote-probe thermometer in the thickest part of a top-rump joint, to monitor temperature, and set the oven to 55 degrees centigrade. I held the temperature as long as, and as well as, my oven could manage. The joint was up on a rack, for even cooking all round, and only released a couple of drips into the roasting tin.

The beef came out extremely dark on the outside, but a deep red inside. Unlike a regular medium/rare roast, the juices did not spill out as you carved, but were retained in the meat. This does mean that, if you want gravy, you will have to make it without the roasting juices. But the beef was all the better for it.

I ate it at about 6:30pm, but kept coming back to it later in the evening for sneaky cold-cuts with a dab of horseradish. I'm almost ashamed how much I ate in one day.

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I did slow-roasted beef last weekend. I used a remote-probe thermometer in the thickest part of a top-rump joint, to monitor temperature, and set the oven to 55 degrees centigrade. I held the temperature as long as, and as well as, my oven could manage. The joint was up on a rack, for even cooking all round, and only released a couple of drips into the roasting tin.

The beef came out extremely dark on the outside, but a deep red inside. Unlike a regular medium/rare roast, the juices did not spill out as you carved, but were retained in the meat. This does mean that, if you want gravy, you will have to make it without the roasting juices. But the beef was all the better for it.

I ate it at about 6:30pm, but kept coming back to it later in the evening for sneaky cold-cuts with a dab of horseradish. I'm almost ashamed how much I ate in one day.

With beef , don’t be (almost) ashamed . One of God’s gifts!

Edited by DavidM

One of these days when the memsahib has gone out and I'm left to amuse myself, I'm going to faff about and atrempt my own horseradish sauce

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

With beef , don’t be (almost) ashamed . One of God’s gifts!

I was following the astute dietary advice of Miss Piggy, who once wisely opined that she never ate anything she couldn't lift.

• Like 1

On the subject of beef, I just went up the road to Morrisons, and they have something new in the meat section - "Pastrami Style Brisket Joint". Priced at £10 a kilogramme, I bought a small joint for just under £5, which I will try tomorrow.

On 18/05/2018 at 2:09 PM, Futtocks said:

On the subject of beef, I just went up the road to Morrisons, and they have something new in the meat section - "Pastrami Style Brisket Joint". Priced at £10 a kilogramme, I bought a small joint for just under £5, which I will try tomorrow.

Well, instead of following the printed instructions, I slow-cooked it inside a roasting bag, and it was pretty decent. No additional ingredients or seasoning added, which turned out to be a good move, as the meat had plenty of salt and pepper in the spice mix. Served with egg fried rice.

The downside to slow-cooking is that cold-cuts the next day are dryer than a conventional roast. Next time, I'll try the suggested method, for comparison.

4kg Frozen Goose for £5 reduce to clear at Tesco. Never had Goose before, but will be having within the next week.

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

4kg Frozen Goose for £5 reduce to clear at Tesco. Never had Goose before, but will be having within the next week.

Goose is delicious but oozes a lot of fat when roasted. Save that fat (and strain it as clear as you can through a fine sieve or muslin), because that'll be absolute dynamite for roast potatoes or chips. Or confit duck legs for Cassoulet.

Or rubbing on all over if you decide to swim the English Channel.

Edited by Futtocks

6 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

can I freeze it after cooking#? As in the goose fat?

If it is really well-filtered, it'll keep in the fridge for a few months. However, freezing is less risky. 

Some ideas here, with a downloadable recipe PDF: http://www.goosefat.co.uk/page/usage-recipes

• Thanks 1

Found in Sainsbury's - Fussel's smoked rapeseed oil. Not bad! The smokiness is subtle rather than overpowering.