Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LOWFIELD

Whitehaven game

35 posts in this topic

In the home games this year Rovers appear to have lost around 300 fans from last season, that is a lot of money.

People have also been saying where in the ground fans should go to get some atmosphere going, fans will all have there prefered position in the ground and dont like changing it. i think the best thing fans can do to get those 300 back and improve the atmosphere is to try and get either a lapsed fan or a new one to the next home game, if every regular brought 1, the crowd would double. got my 1 to go, my father who is one of the missing 4k from headingley

I managed to get 2 to come back last season, 1 ended up with a season ticket the other is waiting til it gets warmer before he comes back.

Lets hope our good run of form will bring a few back as well.

If we keep this up and people still stay away i don't think any more can be done.

we need people in Fev to be talking about Rovers so others think they're missing out on things if they don't come and watch. We need to get the buzz we all feel to the people who've lost it or never had it.

As a side note, last time we played Whitehaven at home i brought 3 new people with me (1 adult 2 kids) needless to say after the dire performance they weren't hooked and won't try it again.

I hope we do better this time, people are expecting a lot more from us since the Barrow demolision

i aint got the answer Paul... :( .....free tickets through the door'oles in fev would only result in a clash with the darts n domys int green lane sunday afternoon.....i flippin despair sometimes... :angry:

Edited by Bob Fowler

Free tickets to any school who wants them in a 20 mile radius, sweet and pop stall near the Community stand, articles in the Goole and Selby Times with a voucher offer to attract new supporters.

Invite school sports teams from outside the local area to the club to train, play a match, get involved.

Fev residents aren't interested so we have to look further a field.

Free tickets to any school who wants them in a 20 mile radius, sweet and pop stall near the Community stand, articles in the Goole and Selby Times with a voucher offer to attract new supporters.

Invite school sports teams from outside the local area to the club to train, play a match, get involved.

Fev residents aren't interested so we have to look further a field.

I am from Sharlston and the number of times that we are stopped on our way to the car after the match with the question "Who's won mate?" is unbelievable. To be honest the stumbling block is the 14pounds entrance fee and I do feel that FREE TICKETS given to some Featherstone residents wouldn't go amiss for a few weeks. What is there to lose. I think a fair proportion of fans are from outside the town nowadays and its time someone got the Fev people interested

I don't think the club should give away freebies to adults, we aren't a new venture.

Edited by Mick H

Andrew McNeil is currently doing alot of hard work behind the scenes to try and get the attendances on the up so have faith and I'm sure you'll see some very good deals coming out of the club very soon! I'm told that family ticket deals are already available for the Halifax/Toulouse games so let's hope the people of Featherstone take advantage of these great deals!

If any fans/armchair fans out there work for the police service PM me because there's some very generous offers/deals lined up for the near future!

We currently have a winning team so let's aim to get at least 2000 fans through them gates to support our boys!!!! :D

Edited by K.Loxton

It is a shame the Featherstone people don't get behind the team more. I do agree 14 quid is a bit steep, maybe a straight tenner would better and kids come free like last year. I am not too sure on this one but do we do a family ticket? if we don't maybe a family ticket at 25 quid could be done?

I don't think the club should give away freebies to adults, we aren't a new venture.

The kids came in free last year and tickets given out to schools but did it make a big difference ?

The problem is that the majority of people in Featherstone don't come know more for what ever reason. As for the

Bring a friend is the best idea but it's hard to get people to part with

I totally agree that under 16s should be free, they are future paying adults. The Whitehaven poster is free to download but how many have put them up at work yet? Or their local, I just put 5 up at both Asda depots, not sure how long it ll be b4 a cas fan takes em down but the photo copier will stay busy if they do. Everytime I convince a new fan to attend wen we are playing well , the first time they come we have a mare, and they dont return. Lets hope we can stay consistent this year.

Theres a college in Pontefract which has students from all over, I dont know if we're working on the students there, but maybe promotion around NEW College is a way to go, It's

I have followed this thread with interest and many have sound ideas, however, one of the MAJOR problems with young people today is that there are too many "easy" options for them. Many would prefer to sit playing on their PC's i pods games machines or whatever, than to go out on a cold day to watch a live game. I agree we do have to attract more fans . Back in the 50's and 60's we had active supporters branches throughout the area, the one in Hemsworth was operated by my late father. We were offered a group rate for home games which meant we took around 40 - 50 on a regular basis, although transport today is much easier than then.When my dad became a volunteer, he would sit me on the crossbar of his bike and we would cycle from Hemsworth, remember this was through the winter. The attraction was the game, the fact that the teams and fans intergrated and worked with each other.

The experiment of free child tickets has been tried over and over and with a home and away season ticket costing just

Edited by Bob Fowler

How about trying to get some pride back in the town? The main factor for me supporting Fev is that Im from the place and Im proud that such a small community managed to build up a successful professional team that could compete with places like Leeds and Bradford.

A couple of years ago I was with Uni friends from Durham area and fev v sheffield were on telly. He was quite surprised that we actually played teams from places as large as Sheffield. He was amazed when I said we used to play and beat teams like Leeds and Hull at Wembley etc. That really made me quite proud.

Its difficult now because theres less of a community spirit with Fev effectively being a commuter location now. Hardly anyone in the town works there like when everyone worked in mining.

I realise this isnt a solution as such but I think it is the key thing that is missing in getting people in fev back. More needs to be done to foster the towns identity. Rivalries with other towns can help do that and bringing back the seige mentality.

I wonder if something could be done with local businesses, council, community groups to build up that united spirit again. A slogan like 'We are Fev' (or something more thought out) which organisations like pubs, shops etc could buy into and support each other, have blue and white flags everywhere, signs upon entering the town etc.

Its a bit more of a complex approach to "let kids in free" or "put a bouncy castle on" but people need a reason to want to come not an incentive. The rugby should then be a reinforcement of the town pride, youll notice fans of most sports actually care more about the win than the quality of play because of the affiliation with the team. If were expecting just the RL to be the attraction then theyll go to Cas or Wakey cos its generally better quality, like it or not.

Just another quick thought for those poorly supported away games - could we get a link with cas and wakey whereby the rival fans got cheap entry to effectively support the away team. eg when we play Toulouse Cas fans get in for

I agree with a discount for fans of other clubs even if they don't recipricate. On Sunday I paid

If you look at most sports clubs nowadays, attendance figures are almost always top of their agenda. It's not something that is a FEV problem only. As Tex so rightly says, community spirit is not what it used to be Featherstone is now a commuter town. Houses are being built and marketed as having good links to major cities. Another thing that affects attendances is the number of other activities that are available to people that were not there previously. Back in the day, your local team was the only thing to do on a weekend, with the onset of easy n relatively cheap travel, the options for families are much wider. Until my dad got a car i'd only ever been to the coast on organised trips. Now most people can get there or the countryside in under an hour. Most kids nowadays have computers, games consoles and of course the telly to keep them occupied, going out to a game is no longer a way of life for them. They have the world at their fingertips. I have no idea how to get the crowds back, all a club can really do is put out a successful side, get the advertising right and try and make people want to come.

There is of course the other obvious reason, which this forum has been over before. The running of RL, i can think of at least a dozen former supporters who simply will not come because as far as they are concerned, without promotion and relegation we are just playing 20 odd friendlies and they won't spend their cash on friendlies.

I have said before, i am very worried about the future of RL at semi-pro level. After Widnes are given a license to SL i can see it being many years before another club from our division is admitted, IMO it will be clubs from development areas that get the licenses. I can certainly see a SL without any of our three local clubs.

Keep putting in good performances and people will start to come back, its not Just 14.00 when I go to a match I have a 80 mile round trip take the grandson buy burgers pop, program, a couple of Golden Gamble tickets, Car park I don

If we found the magic formula which would increase attendances, we would make the rugby headlines. Every club, from the top to the amateur leagues are suffering the same problems.IMO,the majority of core support is made up of the older age groups who have been brought up in a rugby environment and who had little or no outside distractions in their younger days, unlike the youth of today. It is going to be one hard slog for everyone I am afraid. What puzzles me is the attempt to be building stadiums with 15,000/20,000 capacities because I personally cannot see, even in future years, that they can acheive such figures. I bring along my son and his boy (both keen Wildcats supporters) when their team are away and I think that by inviting friends and relatives who have an interest in the game, is the way forward. It would appear that for all the efforts by the club, we are not going to get this fringe support from the local community.

If we found the magic formula which would increase attendances, we would make the rugby headlines. Every club, from the top to the amateur leagues are suffering the same problems.IMO,the majority of core support is made up of the older age groups who have been brought up in a rugby environment and who had little or no outside distractions in their younger days, unlike the youth of today. It is going to be one hard slog for everyone I am afraid. What puzzles me is the attempt to be building stadiums with 15,000/20,000 capacities because I personally cannot see, even in future years, that they can acheive such figures. I bring along my son and his boy (both keen Wildcats supporters) when their team are away and I think that by inviting friends and relatives who have an interest in the game, is the way forward. It would appear that for all the efforts by the club, we are not going to get this fringe support from the local community.

Post of the week

well said Bob. i think the time will come when clubs are faced with the option of merge or die, and merger will be the only way to keep the game alive at a professional level. hopefully after i'm dead and gone.