Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil Stone

Jason Demetriou

25 posts in this topic

Looking for a new club next season. Wakefield not offering him a contract.

Looking for a new club next season. Wakefield not offering him a contract.
Thank god for that.

To be fair he has given his all to Wakey but time has caught up with him at SL level.

He we be a very good NL player.

Seen him comin out of dp's office wearing a fev hat and scarf, read into that what you will.

Edited by Rob Hemmi

Thank god for that.

To be fair he has given his all to Wakey but time has caught up with him at SL level.

He we be a very good NL player.

Hmmm. He's been a good player and has given his all to Wakefield, no doubt. Certainly one of the first names on the team-sheet.

However, my Wakefield-supporting friends all reckon "his legs have gone" and "he would be best retiring".

35 in January and past it

If this is talk of Fields replacement, why are we looking at players that are years older than Jamie?

The policy for recruitment at rovers has not been tto scour SL clubs for players coming to the end of their effectiveness or playing out their days in the championship. Halifax are not averse to going down that route with Aizue and Stanley et al (and we weren't bothered about stanley). Whilst the signing of established, proven but ageing players can have a massive impact on a clubs success, they are not without greater risks. Those players tend to come with significant wage demands too!

I'm not sure what more he would bring to our team. - but then again "Liam Finn, what we signing him for" (Evans. R 2010). Look how that turned out. :D:D

The policy for recruitment at rovers has not been tto scour SL clubs for players coming to the end of their effectiveness or playing out their days in the championship. Halifax are not averse to going down that route with Aizue and Stanley et al (and we weren't bothered about stanley). Whilst the signing of established, proven but ageing players can have a massive impact on a clubs success, they are not without greater risks. Those players tend to come with significant wage demands too!

I'm not sure what more he would bring to our team. - but then again "Liam Finn, what we signing him for" (Evans. R 2010). Look how that turned out. :D:D

Fev have always had good value our of "past it" players from bigger clubs. Harris last season for starters, but Carl Gibson, Jeff Grayshon and Chris Burton spring immediately to mind. Ray Handscombe at Wembley in 1983?

not for me-but i was wi robin on liam finn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm. He's been a good player and has given his all to Wakefield, no doubt. Certainly one of the first names on the team-sheet.

However, my Wakefield-supporting friends all reckon "his legs have gone" and "he would be best retiring".

To be honest mate i cannot really argue against your friends assessment.

The thing is a like JD because i honestly feel that he is a very honest player who has given his all.

From a personal point of view i have found it sad watching his SL demise recently and i liken it to the boxer who does not want to call it a day.

Whatever JD decides to do i wish him all the best and thanks for being a great servant to the club.

The question has to be is there anyone better out there who will be available and can we afford Demetriou if not?

There is an option to sign him on a rolling one year contract but he might be looking for a SL club, possibly Salford before considering a drop down a division.

Cannot see him contributing anything extra to our team. Has had a shocking season,IMO. We want young blood who are prepared to play for the shirt. Why give ageing SL players opportunities when we can match them from our second string.

Dont berate yourself Robin. After all, he was one of the squad that took us down. Playing like a heroe now. Different coaching set up? etc ,etc.

Fev have always had good value our of "past it" players from bigger clubs. Harris last season for starters, but Carl Gibson, Jeff Grayshon and Chris Burton spring immediately to mind. Ray Handscombe at Wembley in 1983?

Just going to add 2 words to that fine list:

CYRIL KELLETT

Yes they have LL, you are indeed correct, tho I'm not sure how effective Jeff was in his days under peter fox. Never appear to dominate his opposition prop but just the ticket when the biff started!! :lol: - well, he used to start it!!! :lol:

What I ought to have said was - currently, it doesn't appear to be the policy to recruit SL players at the end of their careers.

A Wellam, Manning, etc - youthful and eager.

A Grayshon, Hardman Morrisson- proven players - maybe had a go at Sl. Quality for our level.

A Spears - Best value forrad in't league.

A Finn - Not going to embarrass myself anymore on that one - what a season!

I honestly can't see what JD would bring to our team. - not for me!

I'd certainly like to see him on board, I know what everyone is saying about bringing the youth through but a guy like JD has a wealth of experience behind him and plenty to offer the young lads in that department. He's aggressive and in your face too and the only thing i think we lack at the moment is a true stand offy type loose forrad! Which he is now!

CYRIL KELLETT

Can I throw Abe Terry into the mix as well?

Edited by frankj

I do not believe that Jason Demetriou could offer any more to the team than we already have lined up for next season. He has been a good "honest" player but we have to look at the way loose forwards are being used nowadays. I accept that daryl is our coach and will bow to his decisions, however, we need to go forward and the younger players coming through are the way forward. All the way to Super League.

Three years ago we would have been drooling at the prospect, I'd still have him, class player and I'd rather have him playing for us, rather than against us. Richard slater type of mould!

Sign him

Edited by Rob Hemmi

CYRIL KELLETT

nice one

Three years ago we would have been drooling at the prospect, I'd still have him, class player and I'd rather have him playing for us, rather than against us. Richard slater type of mould!

Sign him

Has all the penetration of a vicar and the pace similar to my own these days Rob! He's not coming to Rovers!

Has all the penetration of a vicar and the pace similar to my own these days Rob! He's not coming to Rovers!

I'm sure if he's that bad he wouldn't be starting regulurly in super league tbh

How do you know how good he is when you don't watch Super League? :P

I like the idea of playing Matty Dale there, he's played well there this season and it helps us provide more go forward.

Saw him on in the pub in 2 games this year and the Wakey fans I know have suggested similar!

A croc.

and Rob - John Kear has made it clear he won't be a regular starter in SL!!!!!

Saw him on in the pub in 2 games this year and the Wakey fans I know have suggested similar!

A croc.

and Rob - John Kear has made it clear he won't be a regular starter in SL!!!!!

Bradford and cas are after him