Melbourne's second tier talent is now available for Super League

Melbourne Storm has developed a formula for its future success, under the constraints of the NRL salary cap. It will keep the Big Four -- Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith --- while offloading most of its second tier talent.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-...0713-109fd.html

The big fire sale going on now in Melbourne is sure to benefit someone in Super League. These players whom I have labelled "second tier" are not second rate. They are just not in the class of the Big Four. However they are all top quality players who would grace the roster of any Super League or NRL club.

With Ryan Hofffman headed to Wigan, Brett Finch headed to either Wigan or Hull KR, and Anthony Quinn probably headed to Wigan, the quality of Super League is sure to rise in 2011. Many other Melbourne Storm players are to be released on to the market, but cannot be fitted within the salary cap of many top NRL clubs.

The problem that I see is that --- because of Michael McGuire's personal connections with all the Melbourne players, and Ian Lenagan's deep pockets ---Wigan may end up with most of the top Melbourne players, and thereby introduce an unhealthy dominance such as we used to see prior to Super League. The only other club that has the money to challenge them would appear to be Warrington.

Will this be healthy for Super League?

Of course not.

It is not a problem of Wigan being strong. It is a problem of Wigan being too strong for the good of rugby league.

Only when we have a tight contest between at least six clubs --- and those clubs include Wigan, St Helens, Warrington, Leeds and Hull FC -- will Super League crowds and TV viewership be able to grow further.

If the top tier competitiive mix includes Bradford, Les Catalans, Harlequins and Crusaders, then that will be even better. However the financial problems faced by all three expanion clubs will be an issue for them.

But it is imperative that while Wigan is going to be strong, at least we do not have a overwhelming dominance of Wigan over the rest --- fed by the Melbourne Storm fire sale.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem that I see is that --- because of Michael McGuire's personal connections with all the Melbourne players, and Ian Lenagan's deep pockets ---Wigan may end up with most of the top Melbourne players, and thereby introduce an unhealthy dominance such as we used to see prior to Super League. The only other club that has the money to challenge them would appear to be Warrington.

and where are wigan and warrington going to get the quota space to sign all these melbourne stars? wigan can probably manage 2 maybe 3 depending on who they retain and wire may have 1 quota spot free.

and where are wigan and warrington going to get the quota space to sign all these melbourne stars? wigan can probably manage 2 maybe 3 depending on who they retain and wire may have 1 quota spot free.

Wigan are reportedly offloading many of their current imports, including Feka and "over the hill" Bailey. If they plan to buy Finch then you have to assume they are also offloading Tommy Leuluai (who would be a great buy for Salford).

_____

Wigan are reportedly offloading many of their current imports, including Feka and "over the hill" Bailey. If they plan to buy Finch then you have to assume they are also offloading Tommy Leuluai (who would be a great buy for Salford).

Think you forget about Phelps and Riddell also leaving - thats four quota gone.

I'm sure Leuluai isn't quota anyway due to the exemption rule and the amount of time he has played in SL from a young age (at Quins then Wigan).

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

But, wasn't one of the reasons for the franchise system to enable SL clubs to, more comfortably, develop the young players from this country ?

Has that now gone to the wall ? Or was that more of the usual BS from the powers that be to assist in getting P & R scrapped ?

Edited by Jimmy B

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

Melbourne Storm has developed a formula for its future success, under the constraints of the NRL salary cap. It will keep the Big Four -- Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith --- while offloading most of its second tier talent.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-...0713-109fd.html

The big fire sale going on now in Melbourne is sure to benefit someone in Super League. These players whom I have labelled "second tier" are not second rate. They are just not in the class of the Big Four. However they are all top quality players who would grace the roster of any Super League or NRL club.

With Ryan Hofffman headed to Wigan, Brett Finch headed to either Wigan or Hull KR, and Anthony Quinn probably headed to Wigan, the quality of Super League is sure to rise in 2011. Many other Melbourne Storm players are to be released on to the market, but cannot be fitted within the salary cap of many top NRL clubs.

Will this be healthy for Super League?

Of course not.

It is not a problem of Wigan being strong. It is a problem of Wigan being too strong for the good or rugby league.

Only when we have a tight contest between at least six clubs --- and those clubs include Wigan, St Helens, Warrington, Leeds and Hull FC -- will Super League crowds and TV viewership be able to grow further.

If the top tier competitiive mix includes Bradford, Les Catalans, Harlequins and Crusaders, then that will be even better. However the financial problems faced by all three expanion clubs will be an issue for them.

But it is imperative that while Wigan is going to be strong, at least we do not have a overwhelming dominance of Wigan over the rest --- fed by the Melbourne Storm fire sale.

What an absolute pile of dog sh!te.

Wigan can spend no more money than any other club, nor can they have any more imports.

I have no idea whether or not you have an agenda here, or whether you are just plain stupid, but I have yet to see an argument put forward by you that makes even one iota of sense.

Do us a favour, and do one.

Thanks.

:rolleyes:

Think you forget about Phelps and Riddell also leaving - thats four quota gone.

I'm sure Leuluai isn't quota anyway due to the exemption rule and the amount of time he has played in SL from a young age (at Quins then Wigan).

I hadn't forgotten Phelps and Riddell. That is four quota places as you say.

But if Finch comes there will be no place for Tommy -- except at Salford.

With Finch and Tomkins in the halves, and Hoffman in the second row with the current English roster, it will be hard for Wigan to lose too many matches in 2011.

I am thus concerned about the future competitiveness of Leeds and Hull FC. Because of their big fan bases --- the only ones that compete with Wigan's --- Leeds and Hull FC's strength at around top four, or at worst top six level, is crucial for the strength of Super League as a whole.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

With Finch and Tomkins in the halves, and Hoffman in the second row with the current English roster, it will be hard for Wigan to lose too many matches in 2011.

I am concerned about the competitiveness of Leeds and Hull FC. Because of their big fan bases --- the only ones that compete with Wigan's --- Leeds and Hull FC's strength at around top four, or at worst top six level, is crucial for the strength of Super League as a whole.

Tommy is a World Cup winning hooker, and has played in that position for Wigan at some stage of virtually every game this season.

Are you being deliberately stupid?

I am concerned about the competitiveness of Leeds and Hull FC. Because of their big fan bases --- the only ones that compete with Wigan's --- Leeds and Hull FC's strength at around top four, or at worst top six level, is crucial for the strength of Super League as a whole.

No place for Tommy - how about the number 9 shirt? Can't see Wigan going into next season with only one hooker with SL experience and an injury prone one at that (McIllorum).

I personally can't see the sense in the Hoffman signing, good player than he is - second row at Wigan has enough depth and potential quality. There are other areas that are a bigger priority. Same with Quinn - we aren't short of wingers and the ones we have now keep finding the tryline regularly.

I'd just take Finch and Lima (if they are available) to fill our needs.

oderint dum metuant

No place for Tommy - how about the number 9 shirt? Can't see Wigan going into next season with only one hooker with SL experience and an injury prone one at that (McIllorum).

I personally can't see the sense in the Hoffman signing, good player than he is - second row at Wigan has enough depth and potential quality. There are other areas that are a bigger priority. Same with Quinn - we aren't short of wingers and the ones we have now keep finding the tryline regularly.

I'd just take Finch and Lima (if they are available) to fill our needs.

Their are probably 15 NRL clubs who would like to be able to sign Ryan Hoffman. He adds an enormous amount to attack and defence. That is why I fear that Wigan's pack will roll over all the others in 2011.

Finch will add another great kicking option. With the powerful pack in front of them, Tomkins and Finch will control the field, and Wigan will be much harder to beat than even this year.

Lima is good, but Adam Blair is better. Who ever gets Blair has made a great signing.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Their are probably 15 NRL clubs who would like to be able to sign Ryan Hoffman. He adds an enormous amount to attack and defence. That is why I fear that Wigan's pack will roll over all the others in 2011.

Lima is good, but Adam Blair is better. Who ever gets Blair has made a great signing.

Not knocking Hoffman as a player, but we already have Lockers, Tomkins, Mossop, Farrell, Hansen and Tuson competing for a place in the second row / back row and Hock potentially to return in the middle of next year. He's a luxury signing at best and not a specific need when the squad is so deep in that position.

I don't think that Blair is realistic - he'll stay in the NRL and probably with the Storm in the end.

oderint dum metuant

Finch will add another great kicking option. With the powerful pack in front of them, Tomkins and Finch will control the field, and Wigan will be much harder to beat than even this year.

Any SL club is allowed to sign these players.

What if Saints, or Leeds, go out and sign them?

Another stupid argument from the master of stupid arguments.

can't believe you're all falling for this troll...

2nd tier players??? yeah lets see how melbourne go next year with 4 superstars and 13 NYC players...i'd rather have 13 2nd tier players & 4 NYC players thanks...at least they'd have a chance of the play offs

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

can't believe you're all falling for this troll...

2nd tier players??? yeah lets see how melbourne go next year with 4 superstars and 13 NYC players...i'd rather have 13 2nd tier players & 4 NYC players thanks...at least they'd have a chance of the play offs

Any opinion you don't agree with become a troll. :rolleyes:

Melbourne willl keep some of their second tier players -- perhaps Adam Blair, Brett White, Dane Nielsen and maybe a few others. Widdop may play at No. 6. Melbourne will then have enough junior talent to flourish, so long as they retain the Big Four.

If contrary views are annoying to you, then you are better off staying involved in the mindless bad mouthing of Virtual Terrace on rlfans.com Perhaps you could also take Hannibal back over there with you?

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Melbourne willl keep some of their second tier players -- perhaps Adam Blair, Brett White, Dane Nielsen and maybe a few others. Widdop may play at No. 6. Melbourne will then have enough junior talent to floiurish, so long as they retain the Big Four.

If contrary views are annoying to you, then you are better off staying involved in the mindless bad mouthing of Virtual Terrace on rlfans.com Perhaps you could also take Hannibal back over there with you?

When you stop talking ######, I will stop pulling you up on it.

Deal?

Melbourne willl keep some of their second tier players -- perhaps Adam Blair, Brett White, Dane Nielsen and maybe a few others. Widdop may play at No. 6. Melbourne will then have enough junior talent to floiurish, so long as they retain the Big Four.

Second tier player Adam Blair...........World Cup Winner.

Paris worry about France and their issues not Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Hull Fc or Wires

your opinion causes ###### on here

Anybody with a constructive comment to make should ignore the riff raff and feel free to contribute to the topic.

_____

Anybody with a constructive comment to make should ignore the riff raff and feel free to contribute to the topic.

constructive comment for you

stop talking utter cxxp you troll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The consumption of cheese followed swiftly by ignominious surrender are your only options, I suggest that you take them sooner rather than later Pierre.

right....

even if melbourne off load all these second teir players they will still go well .. watching them on premier sports when the kids come in like Duffie, Justin ONeil, Widdop et al add to that the depth in their forwards and they look fantastic... if the rest are like that they will do just fine, maybe not play off winners first couple of years but they are bascially restarting and they look ok with it..

Wigan cannot sign that many there are limits to how many ussies they can have in the side and how much money they can spend.. so lets not worry about them getting a side full of ex melbourne stars.

Wigan would need to get rid of some of their sh*(t impots and bring in some quality imports.. shame.. that means Tomkins will learn off Finch, other Tomkins can learn off Hinchcliffe, other players can learn off quality rather than learning of poorer imports.. this isnt a bad thing

Dominance of wigan over everyone else.. first lets see what happens teams dont always gel, but has that damaged the NRL with the supposed dominance of melbourne, were peopl saying the NRL is screwed becuase of it (until the cheating reared its head obviously). Leeds have won the last 3 titles, Leeds and Saints have dominaed the league.. so will Wigan taking this over agian do it more damage?

Franchising was meant to help the kids etc.... Frachising was meant to do many things.. one was to encourage using kids rather than buying in over the hill 2nd rate aussies for quick results, it was meant to make teams give youth a chance.. these top class imports will come in to replace these less good imports not supement them so its not less chance for gb stars its the same chance just better imports to play with and learn off.. the quota system is also there to help reduce the imports not just franchising.. if you look at the botto of the table sides there is amuch better spread of young talent rather than imports than there was and that was what franchising was there to help as well asget stadiums sorted and get youth academies sorted etc etc it was meant to do many things but this one change ofsh*t imports for good imports is nota stick to beat franchising with..

right i think thats all off my chest