See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wendall

Willie Manu - Call up for England

96 posts in this topic

New England coach Steve McNamara is set to risk controversy by considering Hull's Tongan second row forward Willie Manu for the Four Nations series.

The 30-year-old Manu played for Tonga in the 2008 World Cup but now qualifies for England on residency, having moved to the United Kingdom in 2006 - initially to play for Castleford - and he was brought into McNamara's squad for a get-together in Liverpool this week.

McNamara's predecessor Tony Smith created much debate after handing Samoa-born prop Maurie Fa'asavalu a Great Britain debut in 2007.

"Willie Manu qualifies to play for England on residency and has made himself available," said an RFL spokesman.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/ne...YL_England.html

Absolute joke.

You would thought that after picking Fasavalu the England team would have learned their lesson.

Bad news for the sport.

If this happens I wont be watching the England team.

:huh:

Besides anything else, I thought he was off to Nottingham RU?

Have you spoken to Willie Manu to ascertain whether he now genuinely feels English or whether it is just a professional play?

I'm not a fan tbh, however other sports do it left right and centre.

Not sure we need him in the pack tbh.

Brent Webb would qualify as English now along with several others.

Gidley in the Centres, Chris Heighington in the pack.

Drag Richards away from Ireland call it England & Ireland.

Its looking good

we dont need him.. we've got an adundance of forwards vieing for selection.. he wouldnt even make the squad. And why bother when he'll probably be past it in a few years?!.. McNamara needs his head read if he's seriously considering him.

If he has played international rugby league for another country then this is a joke.

If not, then suck it up.

If he has played international rugby league for another country then this is a joke.

If not, then suck it up.

i agree with that

but as the OP said he did in the 2008 world cup

if he played in 2009 then he cannot change oversurely.. is it no longe the case that if you play for somoen in an world cup cycle you cant play for anyone else?
No, ludicrously, that isn't the case.

Brough played for Scotland however now wants to play for England, also Ben Harrison for Ireland.

It's a joke. Brough, Bridge and Harrison is bad enough, but an Australian who has played for Tonga 6 times now wanting to play for England just shouldn't even be entertained.

If not, then suck it up.

Spot on, Mr WAD.

Spot. On.

Absolute joke.

I'm inclined to agree Wendall. At least Fa'asavalu had never played RL for another nation. This is a joke. Someone please tell me Macca is having an early April fool.

Edited by deluded pom?

He's not f***ing English!

I also think being English is a requirement to play for England.

Have you spoken to Willie Manu to ascertain whether he now genuinely feels English or whether it is just a professional play?

Have you not seen his badly drawn British Bulldog & "England till (sic) I die" tattoos? :lol:

I'm no fan of this and don't think we need him in the side however there is never this amount of hand waving from fans of the union or cricket teams. The issue is with the rules that let such selections be available to the coach.

I don't think Manu is good enough for England to be honest.

More impressively Ben Jones-Bishop is in there. That's a good call, well done McNamara on that one.

I want to see the whole 37-man squad, is it online anywhere?

New England coach Steve McNamara is set to risk controversy by considering Hull's Tongan second row forward Willie Manu for the Four Nations series.

The 30-year-old Manu played for Tonga in the 2008 World Cup but now qualifies for England on residency, having moved to the United Kingdom in 2006 - initially to play for Castleford - and he was brought into McNamara's squad for a get-together in Liverpool this week.

McNamara's predecessor Tony Smith created much debate after handing Samoa-born prop Maurie Fa'asavalu a Great Britain debut in 2007.

"Willie Manu qualifies to play for England on residency and has made himself available," said an RFL spokesman.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/ne...YL_England.html

Absolute joke.

You would thought that after picking Fasavalu the England team would have learned their lesson.

Bad news for the sport.

It's just one player, one the other side what about the inclusion of Ben Jones-Bishop? Is that a joke? Keep calm and carry on dude.

It's just one player, one the other side what about the inclusion of Ben Jones-Bishop? Is that a joke? Keep calm and carry on dude.

Thats a positive move, young Enlish player who has potential to be a top player.

Manu is the wrong option.

taken from the englandrl website.

Chris Bridge (Warrington), Tom Briscoe (Hull FC), Kyle Eastmond (St Helens), James Graham (St Helens), Ryan Hall (Leeds), Sean O`Loughlin (Wigan), Danny McGuire (Leeds), Adrian Morley (Warrington), Jamie Peacock (Leeds), James Roby (St Helens), Nick Scruton (Bradford), Michael Shenton (Castleford), Kevin Sinfield (Leeds), Sam Tomkins (Wigan), Ben Westwood (Warrington), Shaun Lunt (Huddersfield), Kevin Brown (Huddersfield), Richard Myler (Warrington), Ryan Atkins (Warrington), Jodie Broughton (Salford), Leroy Cudjoe (Huddersfield), Peter Fox (Hull KR), Lee Smith (Leeds), Gareth Carvell (Warrington), Ben Harrison (Warrington), Jamie Langley (Bradford), Tony Clubb (Harlequins RL), Ben Jones-Bishop (Harlequins RL), Andy Lynch (Bradford), Joe Westerman (Castleford), Kirk Yeaman (Hull), Louie McCarthy Scarsbrook (Harlequins), Eorl Crabtree (Huddersfield), Scott Moore (St Helens), Paul Sykes (Bradford), Jon Wilkin (St Helens), Willie Manu (Hull FC).

Good to see some youngsters in there, but god only knows how Manu and any of the Bradford players got invited.

Good to see some youngsters in there, but god only knows how Manu and any of the Bradford players got invited.

Can't knock Scruton, he is worthy of inclusion.

Can't knock Scruton, he is worthy of inclusion.

As is Lynch.

Sykes is another matter though.