Willie Manu - Call up for England

New England coach Steve McNamara is set to risk controversy by considering Hull's Tongan second row forward Willie Manu for the Four Nations series.

The 30-year-old Manu played for Tonga in the 2008 World Cup but now qualifies for England on residency, having moved to the United Kingdom in 2006 - initially to play for Castleford - and he was brought into McNamara's squad for a get-together in Liverpool this week.

McNamara's predecessor Tony Smith created much debate after handing Samoa-born prop Maurie Fa'asavalu a Great Britain debut in 2007.

"Willie Manu qualifies to play for England on residency and has made himself available," said an RFL spokesman.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/ne...YL_England.html

Absolute joke.

You would thought that after picking Fasavalu the England team would have learned their lesson.

Bad news for the sport.

If this happens I wont be watching the England team.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we dont need him.. we've got an adundance of forwards vieing for selection.. he wouldnt even make the squad. And why bother when he'll probably be past it in a few years?!.. McNamara needs his head read if he's seriously considering him.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

We need backs not pack players.

Manu has played for Tonga also accoring to Wiki, he was in the 2009 cup team for the Pacific Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonga_nationa...gby_league_team

if he played in 2009 then he cannot change oversurely.. is it no longe the case that if you play for somoen in an world cup cycle you cant play for anyone else?

If he has played international rugby league for another country then this is a joke.

If not, then suck it up.

i agree with that

but as the OP said he did in the 2008 world cup

if he played in 2009 then he cannot change oversurely.. is it no longe the case that if you play for somoen in an world cup cycle you cant play for anyone else?
No, ludicrously, that isn't the case.

Brough played for Scotland however now wants to play for England, also Ben Harrison for Ireland.

It's a joke. Brough, Bridge and Harrison is bad enough, but an Australian who has played for Tonga 6 times now wanting to play for England just shouldn't even be entertained.

If he has played international rugby league for another country then this is a joke.

If not, then suck it up.

Spot on, Mr WAD.

Spot. On.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Absolute joke.

I'm inclined to agree Wendall. At least Fa'asavalu had never played RL for another nation. This is a joke. Someone please tell me Macca is having an early April fool.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

Have you spoken to Willie Manu to ascertain whether he now genuinely feels English or whether it is just a professional play?

Have you not seen his badly drawn British Bulldog & "England till (sic) I die" tattoos? :lol:

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

I'm no fan of this and don't think we need him in the side however there is never this amount of hand waving from fans of the union or cricket teams. The issue is with the rules that let such selections be available to the coach.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

New England coach Steve McNamara is set to risk controversy by considering Hull's Tongan second row forward Willie Manu for the Four Nations series.

The 30-year-old Manu played for Tonga in the 2008 World Cup but now qualifies for England on residency, having moved to the United Kingdom in 2006 - initially to play for Castleford - and he was brought into McNamara's squad for a get-together in Liverpool this week.

McNamara's predecessor Tony Smith created much debate after handing Samoa-born prop Maurie Fa'asavalu a Great Britain debut in 2007.

"Willie Manu qualifies to play for England on residency and has made himself available," said an RFL spokesman.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/ne...YL_England.html

Absolute joke.

You would thought that after picking Fasavalu the England team would have learned their lesson.

Bad news for the sport.

It's just one player, one the other side what about the inclusion of Ben Jones-Bishop? Is that a joke? Keep calm and carry on dude.

It's just one player, one the other side what about the inclusion of Ben Jones-Bishop? Is that a joke? Keep calm and carry on dude.

Thats a positive move, young Enlish player who has potential to be a top player.

Manu is the wrong option.

taken from the englandrl website.

Chris Bridge (Warrington), Tom Briscoe (Hull FC), Kyle Eastmond (St Helens), James Graham (St Helens), Ryan Hall (Leeds), Sean O`Loughlin (Wigan), Danny McGuire (Leeds), Adrian Morley (Warrington), Jamie Peacock (Leeds), James Roby (St Helens), Nick Scruton (Bradford), Michael Shenton (Castleford), Kevin Sinfield (Leeds), Sam Tomkins (Wigan), Ben Westwood (Warrington), Shaun Lunt (Huddersfield), Kevin Brown (Huddersfield), Richard Myler (Warrington), Ryan Atkins (Warrington), Jodie Broughton (Salford), Leroy Cudjoe (Huddersfield), Peter Fox (Hull KR), Lee Smith (Leeds), Gareth Carvell (Warrington), Ben Harrison (Warrington), Jamie Langley (Bradford), Tony Clubb (Harlequins RL), Ben Jones-Bishop (Harlequins RL), Andy Lynch (Bradford), Joe Westerman (Castleford), Kirk Yeaman (Hull), Louie McCarthy Scarsbrook (Harlequins), Eorl Crabtree (Huddersfield), Scott Moore (St Helens), Paul Sykes (Bradford), Jon Wilkin (St Helens), Willie Manu (Hull FC).

Good to see some youngsters in there, but god only knows how Manu and any of the Bradford players got invited.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

No, ludicrously, that isn't the case.

Brough played for Scotland however now wants to play for England, also Ben Harrison for Ireland.

It's a joke. Brough, Bridge and Harrison is bad enough, but an Australian who has played for Tonga 6 times now wanting to play for England just shouldn't even be entertained.

you misunderstand/i didntmake it clear..

its not playing for one then the other iunderstand that dont like it but understand it..

its about when you can change.. there was some rule about world cup cycles.. you couldnt change within a world cup cycle.. as such qualification re started at the final whistle of the last world cup, after that you played for one you couldn play for another until the final whistle of the 2013 world cup final.. stupidy you could play in that world cup final for one team then turn out for another the next day..

as such playing in 2009 would rule him out..

(i have no issue with people qualifying to play, justnot when they have played for anyone else ever IMO)

Someone get Steve Mascord on the line. Her knows all when it comes to this. I'm pretty sure if Manu players last year he'd be ruled out. This makes England look bad on two parts - first, they chose this blow-in in the first place and second, he's not eligible.