Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wendall

Willie Manu - Call up for England

96 posts in this topic

No, ludicrously, that isn't the case.

Brough played for Scotland however now wants to play for England, also Ben Harrison for Ireland.

It's a joke. Brough, Bridge and Harrison is bad enough, but an Australian who has played for Tonga 6 times now wanting to play for England just shouldn't even be entertained.

you misunderstand/i didntmake it clear..

its not playing for one then the other iunderstand that dont like it but understand it..

its about when you can change.. there was some rule about world cup cycles.. you couldnt change within a world cup cycle.. as such qualification re started at the final whistle of the last world cup, after that you played for one you couldn play for another until the final whistle of the 2013 world cup final.. stupidy you could play in that world cup final for one team then turn out for another the next day..

as such playing in 2009 would rule him out..

(i have no issue with people qualifying to play, justnot when they have played for anyone else ever IMO)

Someone get Steve Mascord on the line. Her knows all when it comes to this. I'm pretty sure if Manu players last year he'd be ruled out. This makes England look bad on two parts - first, they chose this blow-in in the first place and second, he's not eligible.

Jodie Broughton (Salford)

That is a young lad who with the right coaching could go far. His try last weekend was top notch. He is also very strong near the try line.

Thats a positive move, young Enlish player who has potential to be a top player.

Manu is the wrong option.

Having now seen the full 37-man squad (cheers nadera) then 1 wrong out of 37 is fine by me. Manu out, J Tompkins in... (...late, how apt!) ;)

Sykes' inclusion is another dodgy one.

Good to see some youngsters in there, but god only knows how Manu and any of the Bradford players got invited.
Because 3 of the 4 choices have been pretty damn good, and Lynch and Scruton are two of the best props around. Langley, if he picks up his early season form is a tackling machine, now I question whether those thankless grafters are required in an international squad but if they are, he's one of the best.

Joel Tomkins is my only glaring omission.

Personally I'd also include Keith Senior, Kris Welham and Richard Horne.

I don't have a problem with 90% of the squad...but

...why oh why is McNamara inviting so much ridicule and potentially damaging fallout over the selection of a 30-something, already-capped Tongan who, even on ability alone, would be nothing more than a borderline selection in a position we are not short?

And, why on earth has Joel Tompkins, arguably the best second-rower in the comp, been overlooked? Words fail me...beyond astounding!

And nobody could ever...and I mean ever...convince me that Leon Pryce isn't among the top 10 English players, yet alone the top 37! As for him being below the likes of Paul Sykes, Kirk Yeaman and Tony Clubb in the pecking order...I give up!

I was largely supportive of McNamara's appointment...but I am completely disillusioned at the moment.

I don't have a problem with 90% of the squad...but

...why oh why is McNamara inviting so much ridicule and potentially damaging fallout over the selection of a 30-something, already-capped Tongan who, even on ability alone, would be nothing more than a borderline selection in a position we are not short?

And, why on earth has Joel Tompkins, arguably the best second-rower in the comp, been overlooked? Words fail me...beyond astounding!

And nobody could ever...and I mean ever...convince me that Leon Pryce isn't among the top 10 English players, yet alone the top 37! As for him being below the likes of Paul Sykes, Kirk Yeaman and Tony Clubb in the pecking order...I give up!

I was largely supportive of McNamara's appointment...but I am completely disillusioned at the moment.

Not really a suprise the Bulls got shut of McNamara when they did, he was doing more damage than good.

I think McNamara could be RL's very own version of Steve McLaren.

snn2203aa2g280_392850a.jpg

Whilst I'm not sure that it is right for him to play for England as he has already played for another country at this level and in this sport and I'm not sure that there aren't better laternatives but I do think that there is more to being Englsh than a birth certificate. There are plenty of people in this country with an English birth certificate who do not contribute anywhere near as much as Manu both to his local community and to the state in terms of finance.

Whilst I'm not sure that it is right for him to play for England as he has already played for another country at this level and in this sport and I'm not sure that there aren't better laternatives but I do think that there is more to being Englsh than a birth certificate. There are plenty of people in this country with an English birth certificate who do not contribute anywhere near as much as Manu both to his local community and to the state in terms of finance.

Well said - Why do we make such a fuss when the Aussies and Kiwis regularly snap up South Seas players and call them their own.

I'm not saying Manu is the right choice but that if he is eligible within the laws then why not?

Personally I'd also include Kris Welham and Richard Horne.

:lol: One's nowhere near good enough and the other one's nowhere near the player he used to be.

Does Willie Manu do anything for his local community outside of what his Hull FC contract asks him to do? he's not English by any stretch of the imagination however you like to dress it up. He's lived here for four years and that would allow him to be selected for England if he was an uncapped player or hadn't played for Tonga since November 2008. Unfortunately he fails on all but one count. The international game is descending into a farce.

Edited by deluded pom?

A Well said - Why do we make such a fuss when the Aussies and Kiwis regularly snap up South Seas players and call them their own.

B I'm not saying Manu is the right choice but that if he is eligible within the laws then why not?

A - Which South Sea Islander has played for Australia outside of the current RLIF eligibility interpretations?

B - He's not eligible within the laws.

:huh:

Besides anything else, I thought he was off to Nottingham RU?

Er just remembered that was Motu Tony.... :ph34r:

Are Ellis, Burgess & Widdop not in the squad?? Plus why has it been picked already rather than in a few months time?

Edited by HappyDave

:lol: One's nowhere near good enough and the other one's nowhere near the player he used to be.

I'm on about Kris Welham and Richard Horne, not Paul Sykes and Kirk Yeaman.

Are Ellis, Burgess & Widdop not in the squad?? Plus why has it been picked already rather than in a few months time?

It's a team building session for players based in England.

Steve Macnamara was on Radio Blunderside toneet, for his sins, and spoke very well.

It's not a train on squad as such, he said he simply wanted to get players together from the current European Super League, to see how they interacted and to find out who would and who wouldn't add to an England team, in the bonding sense, rather than out on the field.

He spoke about personalities rather than form as, from his words, a happy squad is more likely to succeed than one that isn't. I wonder if he was referring to our last debacle down under in the world cup when he chose to say that...

Steve Macnamara was on Radio Blunderside toneet, for his sins, and spoke very well.

To you maybe! ;)

We should do a pound for charity every time he says 'at this moment in tarm'.

To you maybe! ;)

We should do a pound for charity every time he says 'at this moment in tarm'.

He never once said it! :O

It's not a train on squad as such, he said he simply wanted to get players together from the current European Super League, to see how they interacted and to find out who would and who wouldn't add to an England team, in the bonding sense, rather than out on the field.

He spoke about personalities rather than form as, from his words, a happy squad is more likely to succeed than one that isn't. I wonder if he was referring to our last debacle down under in the world cup when he chose to say that...

And Manu is there as the black sheep?

And Manu is there as the black sheep?

Is he Welsh?

Would it matter if he was?! :rolleyes:;)

Folk on here might be less sensitive I guess.