Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yanto

Found this for Workington Town fans (and dewsbury)

26 posts in this topic

Ah, them were the days. What a player Mulligan was, just imagine how good he would have been if he had taken it seriously :lol:

Ah, them were the days. What a player Mulligan was, just imagine how good he would have been if he had taken it seriously :lol:

great video.that phil mkenzie didnt look to bad aswell. ;)

great video.that phil mkenzie didnt look to bad aswell. ;)

He was magnificent with us, though his last season was horrible to watch. He was on a big wage and they seemed to make him play no matter how injured he was, it was a bit ridiculous at times. He is possibly my favourite player from that era, either him or big Jimmy Pick. McKenzie made one pass that I remember even now, running left to right he twisted all the way round left to right and put a man through a gap on his right. It was an incredible pass.

I've been sorting out a few old videos that I need to transfer to disc and I have the 1994 (?) Second Division Premiership final between Worky and London Crusaders.

Edited by deluded pom?

great clip yanto - more please!

that was in the first half of the season iirc, yet they talk as if promotion was a certainty. i don't think town were top until january.

keith macklin was superb as well. alhough stuart cocker isn't an compatriot of mulligan's!

what a team though. and when they got promoted, finished 9th out of 16 at the first go.

Memories of the way it used to be misty water colour memories of the way we were. Ah, some of the good old days and as yanto points out Town did get promoted to the Big League and didn't go right back down again but finished 9th of 16 teams.

That's a great clip, thoroughly enjoyed watching it! Some great tries (particularly the clincher) and a superb 2 points from the touch-line. What year is it from btw?? Also all their accents are so funny!! The elderly man at the start says "and that's workington town, dewsbury, keighley and ....." Who is the fourth team?

That's a great clip, thoroughly enjoyed watching it! Some great tries (particularly the clincher) and a superb 2 points from the touch-line. What year is it from btw?? Also all their accents are so funny!! The elderly man at the start says "and that's workington town, dewsbury, keighley and ....." Who is the fourth team?

Uddersfield

Nowt rang wit lingo.

Memories of the way it used to be misty water colour memories of the way we were. Ah, some of the good old days and as yanto points out Town did get promoted to the Big League and didn't go right back down again but finished 9th of 16 teams.

Richard gets the credit for that Keith not me .

If you take a look at some of the old clips on that site there are some real gems of Workington in its industrial heyday.

Edited by yanto

94/95 would be my guess

93/94. Town won the 2nd division title by coming top, and beat London Crusaders in the Divisional Premiership final at Old Trafford. Martin Oglanby (now the club's joint head coach) won the division's player of the year.

That game against Dewsbury was in October 1993. Town scored 178 tries that season !

Happy days :)

Town did get promoted to the Big League and didn't go right back down again but finished 9th of 16 teams.

Yeah and that was after we were bottom at christmas with only 6 points. We then beat Halifax in early January and went on to win 10 of our final 14 league games.

Yeah and that was after we were bottom at christmas with only 6 points. We then beat Halifax in early January and went on to win 10 of our final 14 league games.

6? drew 4-4 with cas before xmas in the game the ref confused jimmy pickering with lee crooks and didn't play advantage when he was through to score.

Yes you're right, we had 5 points at Xmas not 6 - we'd beaten Doncaster and Hull and drew with Cas.

Can you remember which teams it was we nilled at DP? I remember one being Bradford.

Can you remember which teams it was we nilled at DP? I remember one being Bradford.

We only nilled one team at DP - beat Salford 34-0 - but we kept other teams to low scores such as Fev 2, Hull 4 etc

Also, that was the season we got the club record victory when we beat Leigh 94-4.

Also, that was the season we got the club record victory when we beat Leigh 94-4.

:P thanks for that reminder - at least we've never done worse since 1995

Edited by amh

We only nilled one team at DP - beat Salford 34-0 - but we kept other teams to low scores such as Fev 2, Hull 4 etc

Are you sure? I thought we nilled 2 or 3 on the bounce. I remember us battering Bradford though when they were still the steampigs. Though we could probably give em a good game now... :P

Are you sure? I thought we nilled 2 or 3 on the bounce. I remember us battering Bradford though when they were still the steampigs. Though we could probably give em a good game now... :P

Bradford was something like 34-12. It was played 3 days after an England game in which Newlove got injured and so missed the Town game. Dave Watson got sin binned and we scored three tries while he was off the field.

Seem to remember Shaun Austerfield debuted for them and had a nightmare at fullback.

Can't remember any other nillings than Salford.