Sign in to follow this  
1976PMJwires

Wembley Challenge Cup Final 2010 - The build up

I agree this is something that they should have thought through before the final and insisted that for the final Wire wear green and red.

But its down to the RFL to act now, to force Leeds to wear a special one off Wembley kit, even a white one would be better and still traditional. It would be a marketing dream too.

It could lead to fans claiming the club were cashing in on the colour clash. When Bradford did their amber shirt in '97 they specifically didn't sell replicas for that reason.

No, get a new one next year it will probably be white with the p&b V! We seem to change every year!

One year it's hoops, next year it's a V. One year it's mainly blue, next year it's mainly white. And god forbid they bring out another yellow based shirt. The club has obviously never heard of brand recognition. Of course if people didn't buy them...

It could lead to fans claiming the club were cashing in on the colour clash. When Bradford did their amber shirt in '97 they specifically didn't sell replicas for that reason.

Although a few lucky buggers managed to get them from the club as later on in that season at Warrington I was stood next to a group of Bulls fans and three of them had the Wembley 97 shirt on.

Which was just the same template as our home 1997 World Club Challenge shirt except it being Amber instead of white so the club didn't go to any real expenditure on the Amber kit.

Has to be the YORKSHIRE team for me, every time*.

*Unless it's Rovers. They are honorary Lancastrians in my book.

I have to agree with all of that Vik.

Cheering for anything Wankcastrian just seems wrong B)

Although a few lucky buggers managed to get them from the club as later on in that season at Warrington I was stood next to a group of Bulls fans and three of them had the Wembley 97 shirt on.

Which was just the same template as our home 1997 World Club Challenge shirt except it being Amber instead of white so the club didn't go to any real expenditure on the Amber kit.

To be honest I'm more than happy just to forget the '97 final....... :ph34r:

How very mature

I didn't realise you had put the toys back in the play pen Kenny.

To be honest I'm more than happy just to forget the '97 final....... :ph34r:

We seriously underachieved that day didn't we?

Although we did get revenge just five days later at Odsal beating them 38-18 in front of 17,000 with McNamara scoring THAT 40m wonder try.

I'll stop now.

We seriously underachieved that day didn't we?

Although we did get revenge just five days later at Odsal beating them 38-18 in front of 17,000 with McNamara scoring THAT 40m wonder try.

I'll stop now.

hows he done since then?

Generosity overload there GC :D

I am undecided. I have a few good friends who are Wires & last year was pleased for them but would be nice to see someone else & Leeds were so thrilled to have made the final

(besides a Leeds win may bring wendall & PMJ back to earth with a bump :rolleyes: . Apologies to the decent wire fans on here)

Whats your beef with me????

I will never need to fall to earth with a bump, i am a realist about wires, read my threads, not my wind ups ;)

Are Skolars having their usual pre Wembley match on the Friday night and if so,anybody have any additional information and know who they are playing?

I hope they manage to market the event a little better than in recent years.

Are Skolars having their usual pre Wembley match on the Friday night and if so,anybody have any additional information and know who they are playing?

I hope they manage to market the event a little better than in recent years.

London Skolars RLFC vs Oldham RLFC with a 18:30 kick-off on Friday 27th.

Yeah, it's actually not too bad a shirt, but the primrose shorts just look daft.

I wonder if they'll be keeping the same shirt for next year... :rolleyes:

I'd guess with ISC doing both kits next year will be like South Sydney's this year except in blue and primrose

Some bizarre comments in here!

First of all, can someone tell me why it is so bad that Leeds have similar colours in their home and away kit? As long as it is predominantly a different colour, then it's fine.

Do these clash at all with each other?...

13931_317667565314_838925314_963656.jpg

No.

Secondly, can someone tell me how Leeds playing in the blue and pink kit would be better?!

Do these clash with each other?...

pink_charity_shirt_rdax_529x285.jpg140.jpg

Well, they're both blue!

It's just unfortunate that Warrington's home kit has 50% of the colour of Leeds' home kit (blue) and about 50% of the away kit (close colour to yellow). It's exactly the same situation as someone like Wigan (red and white) playing Salford (who have a red home kit and a white away kit). It clashes with both in some way. It happens (and it's why football brought in a third kit).

The only logical thing is for Wire to wear their away kit as it is the only kit that doesn't clash.

Could have been worse though. just imagine if Warrington had the same away kit as last year!

Just you make sure it's well stocked with kleenex for the long trip home :D

No need for Kleenex..... Wire fans are realist, we have had our cup win, anything else will be a bouns.

If it happens it happens, if it doesn't so be it.

Wires are doing ok, so why its lasts, i'll be happy.

Some bizarre comments in here!

First of all, can someone tell me why it is so bad that Leeds have similar colours in their home and away kit? As long as it is predominantly a different colour, then it's fine.

Do these clash at all with each other?...

13931_317667565314_838925314_963656.jpg

No.

Secondly, can someone tell me how Leeds playing in the blue and pink kit would be better?!

Do these clash with each other?...

pink_charity_shirt_rdax_529x285.jpg140.jpg

Well, they're both blue!

It's just unfortunate that Warrington's home kit has 50% of the colour of Leeds' home kit (blue) and about 50% of the away kit (close colour to yellow). It's exactly the same situation as someone like Wigan (red and white) playing Salford (who have a red home kit and a white away kit). It clashes with both in some way. It happens (and it's why football brought in a third kit).

The only logical thing is for Wire to wear their away kit as it is the only kit that doesn't clash.

Could have been worse though. just imagine if Warrington had the same away kit as last year!

The point being that both Leeds home and away shirts clash with Warrington. And why should Warrington wear a different shirt? I assume Warrington won the toss (or however they decide it) to wear their home kit, so it's down to Leeds to sort it out. Leeds should've designed an alternative shirt with some alternative colours in. Not the same ones in a different pattern.

The point being that both Leeds home and away shirts clash with Warrington. And why should Warrington wear a different shirt? I assume Warrington won the toss (or however they decide it) to wear their home kit, so it's down to Leeds to sort it out. Leeds should've designed an alternative shirt with some alternative colours in. Not the same ones in a different pattern.

Yes how stupid of Leeds to design there away kit in the clubs TRADITIONAL colours, we very rarely have an away kit that isn't either white or amber but never mind eh.

Edited by terrywebbisgod

Wire obviously. Though if the mods could create a Wendall sub site so it is easier to ignore his efforts over the next 3 long weeks we would all be happy.

Be fascinating to see whether they are robust enough against serial winners. They won't die wondering but are really up against it.

I think the chances of a Wigan-Saints GF are greatly increased by this, indeed, may end up 5th if FC can ambush them on their return from Wembley.

Wire obviously. Though if the mods could create a Wendall sub site so it is easier to ignore his efforts over the next 3 long weeks we would all be happy.

Be fascinating to see whether they are robust enough against serial winners. They won't die wondering but are really up against it.

I think the chances of a Wigan-Saints GF are greatly increased by this, indeed, may end up 5th if FC can ambush them on their return from Wembley.

After such a poor start to the season I think Leeds concentrated on the CC but we may now see a more relaxed and fluid Leeds side now they have got to Wembley, still don't think we'll get to Old Trafford though.

Yes how stupid of Leeds to design there away kit in the clubs TRADITIONAL colours, we very rarely have an away kit that isn't either white or amber but never mind eh.

Often have had a navy away kit. And don't forget that fetching purple one :D

Is it possible for both teams to lose?

I can think of the following scenarios:-

• World war breaks out and all competitive rugby is suspended.
  • A mass brawl breaks out that even the constabulary fail to contain; the match is abandoned and the cup is not awarded this season.
  • Rugby league is abolished by the coalition in an attempt to help with the deficit.
In the absence of the above, and seeing as the thread seems to be descending into tribalism, I'll go for the west of Pennine side. Edited by Methven Hornet

As long as there is no clash between Leeds' home kit and Leeds' away kit, I don't see the problem. It is irrelevant that the home shirt has a little bit of amber on it and the away shirt has a little bit of blue on it.

I'll give you another example...

If Leeds' home shirt was the same except pink where it was amber, and the away shirt was the same except green where it was blue, then there would be the same problem. The problem isn't Leeds' kits. It's that it's an unfortunate coincidence that Warrington's home kit clashes with both.