Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bulletproof

Foreign Team by Invitation

54 posts in this topic

It has also been stated that one team from the Championship will definitely be promoted to Superleague. But what if all the other bids from current Superleague clubs are self-evidently better? Fair and just? I think not. But, no matter, the Gods have spoken.

agreed, the guarentee to the championhip clubs was a mistake IMHO.. luckily there is widnes there who should be able to step up and will hopefeully hve a better bid than at least one club.. but its a dangerous game to play.. the best 14 should be up there and there should be no guarentee of anything IMO.

Featherstone Rovers should now be celebrating promotion.

even under P&R they had to win the grand final to get promoted!

The guarentee to the championhip clubs was a mistake IMHO.. luckily there is widnes there who should be able to step up and will hopefeully hve a better bid than at least one club.

This stems for me from the RFL's political choice not to demote anyone last time out when some of the bids of existing SL clubs will have been worse than they stand now, as they rush to stadiums and youth development.

That left the difficult choice of refusing a rock solid Widnes bid from an SL club squeezed out by the early advent of franchising (Cats, Quins). Past owners were blamed for the failure of the bid, and despite O'Connor waving the sort of fat cheque at the RFL that would normally have them salivating and over ride any sense of correctness they were refused.

Leigh were refused and showed public petulance, Widnes in contrast held their tongues and got on with it.

It all smacks of Mr O'Connor being placated by a guarantee, and a rule invented to ensure that guarantee - after all who else in the NL's ever fitted then, or now, the bill to be the "chosen one" for promotion

I don't think that this was luck - it was all calculated.

I do think it was a mistake though as we see posters stating the obvious - that this time round "in theory" there could be 14 better bids across SL than anyone in the championship. A recipe for injustice?

That there won't be 14 better bids, adds to what I believe is the obvious - that place was promised to Widnes.

I don't think that's right, they had a top six bid two years ago and should have gone in then, but if it headed off some sort of revolt then fair enough.

And that's the factor we have no knowledge of - angry protestations behind closed doors......

This stems for me from the RFL's political choice not to demote anyone last time out when some of the bids of existing SL clubs will have been worse than they stand now, as they rush to stadiums and youth development.

That left the difficult choice of refusing a rock solid Widnes bid from an SL club squeezed out by the early advent of franchising (Cats, Quins). Past owners were blamed for the failure of the bid, and despite O'Connor waving the sort of fat cheque at the RFL that would normally have them salivating and over ride any sense of correctness they were refused.

Leigh were refused and showed public petulance, Widnes in contrast held their tongues and got on with it.

It all smacks of Mr O'Connor being placated by a guarantee, and a rule invented to ensure that guarantee - after all who else in the NL's ever fitted then, or now, the bill to be the "chosen one" for promotion

I don't think that this was luck - it was all calculated.

I do think it was a mistake though as we see posters stating the obvious - that this time round "in theory" there could be 14 better bids across SL than anyone in the championship. A recipe for injustice?

That there won't be 14 better bids, adds to what I believe is the obvious - that place was promised to Widnes.

I don't think that's right, they had a top six bid two years ago and should have gone in then, but if it headed off some sort of revolt then fair enough.

And that's the factor we have no knowledge of - angry protestations behind closed doors......

it also quitens the "closed shop" people supposedly becuase there will be a change.. which shouldnt be the key IMHO..

i also think it was calculated.. i meant "luckily" because they could say it this time becuase they were there.. and Widnes didnt have any issues in the last year since saying it.. there is a bit of luck that something didnt happen to cuase issues, salary cap infrignement etc (not saying they are prone to it or anything before widnes fans jump on me) sametimes you dont see these thngs coming.. Will they guarentee it next time round.. i would say that would be very very dangerous for them..

Edited by RP London

They'll guarantee a team promotion based on minimum criteria again, if no club meets them then they can legally make no change, best compromise. The only clubs that might meet them in 2015 (aside from invited overseas clubs) are Halifax and at a push Leigh IMO. They both might fall short

Edited by bowes

Why were these amended requirements only made public last week?

They sound reasonable enough standards to reach, so why the cloak & dagger?

It's symptomatic of the confusion and wooliness that surrounds the whole process.

Annual P&R for mine with clearly defined minimum standards. Set the levels, meet them, then get promoted when you win the league.

thanks. Nice to see it in blood as it were, even these words, "That will put additional pressure on Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, Castleford Tigers and Salford City Reds to deliver their promised new grounds. All three clubs were warned last year their existing facilities do not meet requirements."

Edited by JohnM

We all know Celtic Crusaders and London Broncos were by invitation, so what's the difference ?

The RFL will do what they think is best, whether or not it actually is.

I think they were hoping Toulouse would qualify properly within the rules, but as they haven't they will get an invite anyway.

It's a done deal then, Castleford and Wakefield out and Widnes and Toulouse in.

Cheers.

The bit in bold is strange.

Simple two up, two down with certain criteria is my choice.

Its not realy strange its just something we are not used to.

Straight two up two down may be your's and some other peoples choice, my choice is the way it is with some possible tweaking.

Clubs cannot bleed money out of the game like they have in the past, money that comes in has to be invested within the game and not used to line players pockets either through inflated wages or large signing on fees that do nothing for the game as a whole.

I don't think so Mick.

Widnes in definitely..........

The rule on inviting an overseas club into SL logically is more about keeping the options open.

At Barcelona there were 18,000 fans, in Paris there's an idea that a big investment is possible in an RL club.

Toulouse - aren't they the club that has knocked on the door for years and for years there's been no answer??

As for Cas and Wakey it's easy to bracket them. Lets see if the wakey plans are passed, and let's see if the Cas plans are put in to be passed.......

Why were these amended requirements only made public last week?

Perhaps because they weren't, they have been known for months.

Is there time to form a peoples republic of Cumbria? :ph34r:

Perhaps because they weren't, they have been known for months.

Link to anything before Aug 4th please.

Nicked from the "At Least One Super League club to lose licence in 2011, RFL Confirm" thread.

The Halifax Courier quoting League Express;

A few quotes;

RFL U-turn over Super League licence for Toulouse?

Published Date: 02 March 2010

By James Roberts

RUGBY Football League officials were forced to beat an embarrassing retreat over the Super League licensing process last night after claims French hopefuls Toulouse had been given exemption from the criteria applied to English Championship clubs.

Under the governing body's own rules, which were originally released in 2008 and re-affirmed only last summer, only clubs that have appeared in a Championship Grand Final or won the Northern Rail Cup can lodge applications for a top flight place in 2012 and beyond.

But a report yesterday in the 'League Express' newspaper, which quoted an unnamed RFL official, claimed Toulouse would be judged by "different criteria", including being exempt from that requirement.

But by early evening, the RFL had performed a U-turn, issuing a brief statement insisting that Toulouse would have to pass the same on-field milestones as other clubs.

While the background to yesterday's confusion remains unclear, it will have done little to inspire confidence in a system that is already regarded with suspicion by many observers.

Article in full

Cheers.

The bit in bold is strange.

Simple two up, two down with certain criteria is my choice.

Or an expanded SL maybe?

:mellow:

Nicked from the "At Least One Super League club to lose licence in 2011, RFL Confirm" thread.

The Halifax Courier quoting League Express;

A few quotes;

Article in full

yes, yes, We've read all that before. What I was specifically referring to were

1. The 2500 figure for gates

2. The I million figure for turnover

These were not mentioned before last week AFAIK

yes, yes, We've read all that before. What I was specifically referring to were

1. The 2500 figure for gates

2. The I million figure for turnover

These were not mentioned before last week AFAIK

The 2500 figure most certainly was because it was even in programmes from earlier this year. It appears at least that one was well known by the clubs before now. Ian Millward reckons Leigh will definitely be getting the 5000 or so needed next game. Free tickets perhaps? Some sort of large scale invitations?

The 2500 figure most certainly was because it was even in programmes from earlier this year. It appears at least that one was well known by the clubs before now. Ian Millward reckons Leigh will definitely be getting the 5000 or so needed next game. Free tickets perhaps? Some sort of large scale invitations?

They're doing an armed forces theme - Help for Heroes

So any member of the armed forces will be let in free on production of their MOD90 card, and also ST holders can bring a friend for a fiver.

Ok then. Where? Link?

How did i forget the roaring success that is Les Catalans Dragons ? :rolleyes:

One Challenge Cup final, one Challenge Cup semi final, one play-off semi-final and one play-off quarter final after a 3rd placed league finish.

All in the space of five years. Not many teams with a better record.

It has also been stated that one team from the Championship will definitely be promoted to Superleague. But what if all the other bids from current Superleague clubs are self-evidently better? Fair and just? I think not. But, no matter, the Gods have spoken.

They won't be.

Widnes in without doubt. Toulouse I suspect would only be in if we were expanding to 16 clubs. At the moment I can't see them being brought in, but this may be with the caveat that they are guaranteed a place in 2015.

Wakefield I think will be the team booted out.

Edited by Black Country Wire

One Challenge Cup final, one Challenge Cup semi final, one play-off semi-final and one play-off quarter final after a 3rd placed league finish.

All in the space of five years. Not many teams with a better record.

They won't be.

Widnes in without doubt. Toulouse I suspect would only be in if we were expanding to 16 clubs. At the moment I can't see them being brought in, but this may be with the caveat that they are guaranteed a place in 2015.

Wakefield I think will be the team booted out.

barring the re-introduction of p and r giving toulouse that much notice of a place wouldnt be such a bad thing in many regards. Good titanesque build up time.

Yes, when they put club programs on line. ;)

I think there is enough in the previous posts to show that clubs have known the criteria for quite a while.

Note: Not everything is always linkable.

Yes, when they put club programs on line. ;)

I think there is enough in the previous posts to show that clubs have known the criteria for quite a while.

Note: Not everything is always linkable.

Very poor. This kind of thing would turn up somewhere if it was so widely known.

Do Widnes do their own programme? Or Game On? If the latter, which issue?

Either way, it's scant coverage of an important issue, and my point remains.

Why the need for this way of doing things and presenting it to the public? Just e completely open & upfront. At this stage, no-one really knows what Toulouse have to do for exmaple. Are they exempt, as a foreign club and will be given SL 'by invitation' or are they in the same boat as the other CC clubs?

Such lack of transparency & confusion gives plenty of fuel to those that say thesystem is not fair & easily manipluated to give the 'right' result regardless of merit.