Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gingerjon

Harlequins should move here

90 posts in this topic

Just for a bit of context, here's a list of all the football grounds in London ranked by capacity.

When stating your wild fantasy for which ground Harlequins - or a club renamed to suit your whim - should move to please refer to this list first:

Wembley (90,000)

Emirates (60,000)

Stamford Bridge (42,000)

White Hart Lane (36,000)

Upton Park (35,000)

Selhurst Park (29,000)

The Valley (27,000)

Craven Cottage (25,700)

New Den Stadium (20,000)

Loftus Road (18,000)

Griffin Park (12,000)

Brisbane Road (Leyton Orient) (9,000)

Church Road (Hayes & Yeading FC) (6,500)

Victoria Road (Dagenham) (6,000)

Underhill (Barnet) (5.900)

And for the more whimsical amongst you:

Majedski (24,000)

Stadium MK (22,000)

Vicarage Road (19,000)

Kassam (12,500)

Ashton Gate (19,000)

The Memorial Dump (10,000)

Carrow Road (26,500)

The Moon (10,000,000)

Etc etc

Just for a bit of context, here's a list of all the football grounds in London ranked by capacity.

When stating your wild fantasy for which ground Harlequins - or a club renamed to suit your whim - should move to please refer to this list first:

Wembley (90,000)

Emirates (60,000)

Stamford Bridge (42,000)

White Hart Lane (36,000)

Upton Park (35,000)

Selhurst Park (29,000)

The Valley (27,000)

Craven Cottage (25,700)

New Den Stadium (20,000)

Loftus Road (18,000)

Griffin Park (12,000)

Brisbane Road (Leyton Orient) (9,000)

Church Road (Hayes & Yeading FC) (6,500)

Victoria Road (Dagenham) (6,000)

Underhill (Barnet) (5.900)

And for the more whimsical amongst you:

Majedski (24,000)

Stadium MK (22,000)

Vicarage Road (19,000)

Kassam (12,500)

Underhill it is then unless there is anything smaller

Jon, you forgot the new Olympic Stadium in Stratford.

As you were.

Jon, you forgot the new Olympic Stadium in Stratford.

Ah, yes.

Stadio Olympico (Stratford) (25,000)

Also apparently Sutton United has a 7,000 capacity as well.

champion hill, dulwich... capacity 3,000...

but its the home to dulwich hamlet, and also playing there are fisher FC (was fisher athletic but they went bust) and the millwall lionesses..

problem with lower league football clubs they often share with the ladies teams of the bigger clubs or other teams who are also trying to cut costs.., Quins (or whatever) would have to be "yet another tenant" of most of these clubs and so causing other issues as they play at a different time meaning the pitch gets no rest over the summer.. its not as easy as "football teams need a bit of spare cash so please let us play there"..

Isn't South London the hotbed of RL in London? 2+2 anyone?

They have a lot more than 4 fans between them Matt.

The Moon (10,000,000)

Even with 10 million on the Moon still has no atmosphere....

Don't worry, I've already got my coat.

On a slightly serious note. I think we should explore moving to Milton Keynes.

65,000 when west ham have sorted it out.. the running track stays though, sadly..

ill throw in the delapidated Mile End Park stadium, to be bought on the cheap and re-developed to look lovely.

On a slightly serious note. I think we should explore moving to Milton Keynes.

i vote for oxford

65,000 when west ham have sorted it out.. the running track stays though, sadly..

ill throw in the delapidated Mile End Park stadium, to be bought on the cheap and re-developed to look lovely.

i would so love the RFL to buy somewhere and help do it up with a london franchise.. and make it home.. somewhere like mile end would be great.. "mile end stadium" to rival the Invesco Mile High Stadium... London Broncos back.. play in orange and navy blue.. come on it be great!

And Twickenham, home of the rugby FOOTBALL onion? I hear it holds 4 billion.

But seriously, though...if Quins are to evolve, they have to start off as the more successful clubs initially did in dilapidated stadiums close to semi-derelict high density town centres. So where would you move Knowsley Road to in the capital?

champion hill, dulwich... capacity 3,000...

but its the home to dulwich hamlet, and also playing there are fisher FC (was fisher athletic but they went bust) and the millwall lionesses..

problem with lower league football clubs they often share with the ladies teams of the bigger clubs or other teams who are also trying to cut costs.., Quins (or whatever) would have to be "yet another tenant" of most of these clubs and so causing other issues as they play at a different time meaning the pitch gets no rest over the summer.. its not as easy as "football teams need a bit of spare cash so please let us play there"..

If womens soccer can find a ground then I'm sure a bloody SL club can find one given that they get far more cash from sky

If a move were to happen Oxford would be the most likely I'd have thought given the Ian Lenaghan connection, unless he can shift on his holding in Quins to someone else.

There was a piece on the radio this morning about the new Olympic stadium, annual running costs are expected to be

If womens soccer can find a ground then I'm sure a bloody SL club can find one given that they get far more cash from sky

ffs..

not necessarily.. as i say its at the same time, the clubs taht run them have money to help out the other clubs.. plus relationships with said other clubs as a whole.. but also as i said before if there are enough sharing then the club needs to rest the pitch possibly in the summer..

womens football is less high maintenance in the fact that its the same posts and markings etc etc

and they just may not want anything to do with rugby..

just becuase they can does not mean that Super league can.. it depends what the super league club requests out of it as well..

Lobby its not as simple as walking in saying "look at me we're Super Legaue you MUST want us".. there is a lot to consider on both sides.. do "Quins" want to be at that ground, is it in the right area, will it be okayed for the numbers they need in or for the RFL, do the football club want a different sport, does the return or potential return outweigh the pain in th';###### of haveing them there etc etc etc

Missing stadiums from the list to be filled in:

Tooting and Mitcham (3,500)

Kingstonian (4,700)

Carshalton (5,000)

There you go.

Ahem, another stadium missing off the list....

newriversportsstadium.jpg

The New River Stadium is perfect for RL in London

I don't really want to get involved in the whole stadium-relocation argument (all over again) but to me there are a couple of stand outs, if anyone had the interest and most importantly the funds.

Church Road (Hayes and Yeading FC) holds 6,500, almost entirely terracing, and has lots of room to expand. There's also a huge chunk of land alongside it that is a car park/car boot site, which could be developed to pay for the rebuild. Potential for 12,000 easily. Hayes and Yeading were planning a huge redevelopment with Barrett Homes but nothing seems to have come of it. Major downside is that it is properly in Middlesex, and miles away from any of the amateur clubs in London.

Sutton Utd and Carshalton Athletic could both be developed into 12,000 capacity stadia, but only the Borough Ground (Sutton) has room for enabling developments around it. Having said that not sure if the club own the freehold or leasehold.

One very prime site, almost touched upon above, is Fisher Athletic's former home ground on Salter Road, Rotherhithe. They had planning permission to redevelop with a small stadium and housing. You could probably fit 8,000 or so alongside the residential units. Big problem would be the, erm, interesting characters that own the site now that the club play in Dulwich. Cracking location if you could get it though.

Like I say, there are possibilities, if you have the cash and the intent.

London Wanderers

National Sports Centre, Crystal Palace- assistance with parenthesis required.

Like I say, there are possibilities, if you have the cash and the intent.

And time.

If you started planning today and everything went beyond swimmingly your newly expanded ground would be ready for the 2014 season at the earliest.

London Wanderers

National Sports Centre, Crystal Palace- assistance with parenthesis required.

London Wanderers probably isn't going to give people the impression of them settling down at a ground