Rugby League in Blackpool

Just had the sad news that Blackpool Scorpions have withdrawn from NWC div 3 next year (due to lack of players) and was staggered to learn that there are now NO juniors below U16's now playing competitive RL in Blackpool or the Fylde coast. Last year, AFAIK, Manchester Storm's U13's team were the only Junior team representing Manchester (after their U12's sadly folded), that's TEAM not club, one team for Manchester (although they ended up playing just inside Salford due to pitch availability I think) I'll gladly be corrected on this, but haven't included Langworthy Reds who are a Salford club.

This for me, as coach of a Junior team, is extremely worrying since these kids are the future of RL, maybe not future England stars, maybe not even players, but fans/volunteers/investors even.

We keep hearing of the good work being done in schools etc, how do we transfer this into club RL? Is enough being done in the Blackpools/Manchesters in the schools at all? (if someone living in one of these areas knows)

I think pro/semi pro clubs need guidance and a model to follow at least, until recently at amateur level you wouldn't know Warrington had a SL club, there was no interaction with local clubs or schools. However, they have really got their act together and with their help, we could see a surge in participation and consequently, they could see a surge in attendances/merchandise sales etc.

Do people think their club does enough?

Halifax RLFC do a great job and every school I believe gets a visit during the year from the players. Fax also work with the Eureka Kids Museum and run various projects there like healthy eating etc. In the Halifax/Calderdale Service area (The Smallest Service area in size of area) the following clubs run Youth Sections:

SIDDAL U8s, U9s, U10s, U11s, U12s, U13s, U14, U15s U16s(X2) U18s.

OVENDEN U8s, U12s, U16s and U17s.

KING CROSS PARK U8s, U9s, U10s, U 12s, U14s, U15s, U16s (X2) and U18s.

ELLAND U7s, U8s, U9s U11s, U12s, U14s, U15s, U16s, U 17s, U18s

GREETLAND U8s, U 10s, U13s, 14s, U16s (x2)

ILLINGWORTH U8s, U9s U12s U15s, U18s

BRIGHOUSE U13s, U14s, U15s U16s

Its not a surprise that Halifax/Calderdale area has such a strong amateur scene and is way better in Quality and Quantity than Bradford and Huddersfield for example.