Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ParisSurtout

Which players are still on the market for Harlequins to buy?

23 posts in this topic

The club has to fill holes left by the departure of Louis McCarthy Scarsbrook (St Helens), Will Sharp (Hull FC), Ben Jones-Bishop (return to Leeds) and Luke Williamson (retired).

The English pickings are slim. The club has to find mostly non-quota players. French players would qualify there.

Definitely still available:

Steve Menzies

Willy Mason

Kane Bentley

Andrew Bentley (from May on)

Ricky Sherriffe

Possibles:

Chris Walker

Maxime Greseque (from May)

Julien Rinaldi (from May)?

They already have two hookers (Randall and Ellis) so they won't buy Kane Bentley.

They probably could not afford to buy out Johnson's contract

Edited by ParisSurtout

Kevin Penny looks like he has played his last game at Wire as he cant get a look in. He did a good job at Quins this season and they were wanting to keep him.

But heard he is off to Wakey next year?

Kevin Penny looks like he has played his last game at Wire as he cant get a look in. He did a good job at Quins this season and they were wanting to keep him.

But heard he is off to Wakey next year?

Apparently. But the gossip is that John Kear will come from Wakefield.

If true, a net plus IMO.

Apparently. But the gossip is that John Kear will come from Wakefield.

If true, a net plus IMO.

Quins need a top coach and Kear would be the answer. He could tempt some names down from the North instead of journeymen that have come down and never made it.

Quins need a top coach and Kear would be the answer. He could tempt some names down from the North instead of journeymen that have come down and never made it.

If Kear leaves Wakefield for Harlequins then it suggests that he feels the writing is on the wall for Wakefield to get the chop in 2012.

If that assumption is correct then Kear could attract some of the good Wakefield or other northern players, but mostly for 2012, because most talent has already been signed.

So I think that, given who is still available from England, Quins ought to buy some French LER players for 2011.

There may be language prooblems for some players, but Kear speaks French. Rinaldi is bilingual, so he would be an ideal acquisition for half (playing Luke Gale at number 6, or vice verse). Rinaldi was France's half back for many years, until 2006, when David Waite forced him into the hooking spot at Catalans to make way for Stacey Jones.

Edited by ParisSurtout

This is idle speculation based upon an unofficial Fan post on the Harlequins RL board

John Kear is under contract to Wakefield Trinity to the end of the 2011 season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/2...field-john-kear

• How can cash strapped Quins buy out his contract if Catalans would not ?
  • Why would a Local man like John Kear want to leave Wakefield ?
PS - John Kear was caretaker Coach of Paris St Germain, and nickname Le Professeur during his time there so I believe he may well be able to "Parlez le fran

This is idle speculation based upon an unofficial Fan post on the Harlequins RL board

John Kear is under contract to Wakefield Trinity to the end of the 2011 season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/2...field-john-kear

• How can cash strapped Quins buy out his contract if Catalans would not ?

I did say that Kear's possible hiring by Quins is gossip.

You have raised a reasonable question, though Catalans were and are also somewhat cash strapped at the moment (albeit not to the extent of Quins), thanks to the prying eyes of the French tax inspector.

Why would a Local man like John Kear want to leave Wakefield ?

I think I answered that one.....because he may see the writing on the wall for Wakefield in 2012.

PS - John Kear was caretaker Coach of Paris St Germain, and nickname Le Professeur during his time there so I believe he may well be able to "Parlez le fran
Edited by ParisSurtout

Worrincy.

Michael Worrincy could have developed into a great player had he ever had a great coach to help him.

But right now I think that the Quins would take him back, along with his fellow prodigal Sheriffe, since the club is very short of numbers.

Johnson has signed with the Cowboys.

Thanks for that. Do you have a source?

I'd like to see Kyle Briggs and/or Gareth Moore go down to Quins and show they are up to Super League level.

Michael Worrincy could have developed into a great player had he ever had a great coach to help him.

Nonsense - WOrrincy is a fit athlete - nothing more nothing less

As an RL player he is a long way off super league level

Yes. I've always seen Kear as a fixer. see his wkipedia entry here

he is just the sort of guy to get the best out of Les Cats or Quins and it feels as though he has run out of steam at Wildcats.

Worrincy.

He never got much of a look in under Mac.

Wouldnt be surprised to see him and Sheriffe back.

Will be two less Championship players to seek going into next season.

Rumour is Sheriffe could be joining. I wouldn't mind if Menzies joined Quins, rather them than some others I could mention closer to home.... :dry:

We don't even know that there is a buy-out yet, surely this is insanely premature?