Ben Farrar is the final element in the new look Catalans quest for silverware

Farrar is a brilliant young talent. He can make the diffference, especially if Greenshields and Bosc are on the field, to the attacking prowess of Les Catalans. He is normally a centre who can also play full back. As a junior in Newcastle he played with Catalans bound scrum half Scott Dureau.

See highlights of the Manly vs Sydney Roosters match in NRL round 25 (page 4 of the list of videos):

Watch the Manly No 18's role in Manly's first two tries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJNOTfEGuE

(This cllip also shows why likely Kiwi centres Steve Matai and Shaun Kenny-Dowell will be too good for the English centres during the Four Nations).

Greenshields, Farrar and Bosc will be too much attacking talent for most opposing teams to handle, especially if Dureau turns out to be a great asset. Who knows, with these players we may see Wigan vs Catalans or Warrington vs Catalans at Wembley or Old Trafford in 2011.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

i hope he is not the last, as we are missing a big experienced go forward front rower ;)

cheers

Dave

As I understand the prop forward lineup, it will be :

Ferriol, Guisset, Casty, Martins, Paea....with Carlaw as cover.

Paea has go forward from the little I have seen of him. He is just not getting a run in a top flight Sydney Roosters pack.

But you are right. Catalans probably need one more experienced prop though.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Has Paea signed up ?

cheers

dave

I was told by someone in the know that Paea has signed.

Watch him this weekend play for Roosters.

Also Scott Dureau is starting scrum half for Newcastle Knights.

_____

I was told by someone in the know that Paea has signed. Watch him this weekend play for Roosters.

Also Scott Dureau is starting scrum half for Newcastle Knights.

Paea's signing has now been officially confirmed. (Take note RP).

Ben Farrar's signing is imminent.

It turns out that Farrar is an old mate of Scott Dureau, the new half back.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-...0908-151fq.html

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Australia's leading rugby league caller Ray Warren just announced on Channel 9 that Ben Farrar is going to Catalans.

Both Ray Warren and Phillip Gould praised Farrar's performance in a well beaten Manly side today -- both in attack and defence.

This is very good news for what should be a resurgent Catalans Dragons team in 2011.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Australia's leading rugby league caller Ray Warren just announced on Channel 9 that Ben Farrar is going to Catalans.

Both Ray Warren and Phillip Gould praised Farrar's performance in a well beaten Manly side today -- both in attack and defence.

This is very good news for what should be a resurgent Catalans Dragons team in 2011.

Great signing. Although as ECT says if it's to replace Greenshields it's a loss for the team.

What's the latest on Greenshields? I've been out of loop for a few weeks, he hasn't been confirmed as re-signing or leaving?

Meh. Hardly the buy of the century. If he is added he'll be okay but if he's being signed because Greeenshields is on the way out they won't be better off overall. Better than losing Greenshields and not signing anyone though.

He is not a replacement for Greenshields, but he is cover for Greenshields.

_____

Here is how the Catalans might line up next season, given the changes to the squad:

Clint Greenshields

Freddy Vaccari, Ben Farrar, Jean-Philippe Baile, Vincent Duport,

Thomas Bosc

Scott Dureau

Gregory Mounis

Sebastien Raguin, Dane Carlaw,

David Ferriol, Ian Henderson, Remy Casty

Bench: Jamal Fakir, Cyrille Gossard, Jerome Guisset, Lopini Paea

Primary reserves: Cyrille Stacul, Jason Baiteiri, Sebastien Martins, Chris Walker(?), William Bartheau, Tony Gigot, David Guasch

If the coach is any good --- and I think that Trent Robinson will be very good --- then this team is definitely playoff material, probably top six at least. A lot will also hinge on the performances of Scott Dureau. Should he not perform as hoped, expect Farrar to move to stand off and Bosc to scrum half, with Duport going to centre and Stacul to wing.

The only problem I see is lack of quality cover for Henderson.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Here is how the Catalans might line up next season, given the changes to the squad:

Clint Greenshields

Freddy Vaccari, Ben Farrar, Jean-Philippe Baile, Vincent Duport,

Thomas Bosc

Scott Dureau

Gregory Mounis

Sebastien Raguin, Dane Carlaw,

David Ferriol, Ian Henderson, Remy Casty

Bench: Jamal Fakir, Cyrille Gossard, Jerome Guisset, Lopini Paea

Primary reserves: Cyrille Stacul, Jason Baiteiri, Sebastien Martins, Chris Walker(?), William Bartheau, Tony Gigot, David Guasch

If the coach is any good --- and I think that Trent Robinson will be very good --- then this team is definitely playoff material, probably top six at least. A lot will also hinge on the performances of Scott Dureau. Should he not perform as hoped, expect Farrar to move to stand off and Bosc to scrum half, with Duport going to centre and Stacul to wing.

The only problem I see is lack of quality cover for Henderson.

You forgot to mention Damien Blanche, class signing :lol:

You forgot to mention Damien Blanche, class signing :lol:

Damien Blanche played very well in the World Cup.

Pity his form has slumped while playing at a substandard club. I do expect the crisp, rapid, passing of Ben Farrar will give Mr Blanche the service and hence try scoring opportunities that he has been missing in west Yorkshire.

_____

how confident are you that catalans will be in the top 6

they have absolutley no chance

i would imagine they will be 9th or 10th next year

as for a visit to old trafford they have no chance, they are light years behind st helens, wigan, wire and leeds. i would put huddersfield and both hull teams above them also

how confident are you that catalans will be in the top 6

they have absolutley no chance

i would imagine they will be 9th or 10th next year

as for a visit to old trafford they have no chance, they are light years behind st helens, wigan, wire and leeds. i would put huddersfield and both hull teams above them also

I agree.

Top 8 will be a struggle, avoiding wooden spoon will be a major achievement.

Just hope the crowds pick up as well

The francophobes are crawling out of every nook and cranny.

Have to agree, Catalans have got atleast top 6-8 side on paper, if Robinson is any sort of coach they will make the playoffs. To suggest they'll struggle to get out of 14th is a bit of a laugh IMO, unless they have some inside info on Robinson being ordinary?

Just for comparison and to show what difference a good coach can make. Teams may be a bit off.

Crusaders - Catalans

Schifcofske - Greenshields

Thomas - Vaccari

Mellars - Baille

Hanbury - Duport

Kear - Blanche

Witt - Bosc

Sammut - Dureau

O'Hara - Ferrioll

Withers - Henderson

Bryant - Guisset

Chan - Raguin

Hauraki - Fakir

Lupton - Mounis

Flower - Sa

James - Gossard

Mills - Casty

White - Gigot

Based on what I've seen both in the NRL (recently) and SL. I'm an equal fan of both teams. IMO Catalans are easily better on paper yet they will be going in as wooden spooners and Crusaders bouyed off making the play-offs. This year all comes down to Noble being better than Walters... alot better.

As opposed to Anglophobes like your good self who are, unfortunately, permanently on show :rolleyes:

I have nothing against the English, apart from their ignorant, uneducated, retail service staff, their hopelessly inefficient public transport system, and their dull and unhealthy cuisine in the provincial areas. Traditional English cuisine is incomparably inferior to that of not only France or Italy, but even that of Spain. The English diet has been enlivened by the advent of the spicy South Asian immigrant cuisine. Luckily, because of the European Union and globalism, the English palate has also been relieved by the appearance of French-style baguette sandwich stands at most major London and some regional train stations (copied from the long established originals at French train stations), even if the sandwich menu there includes the decidedly un-French curried chicken.

I know that some of the bad attitude problems the English suffer from comes from their loss of Empire, their dreadful grey weather, and the sense that many socio-economic problems seem insoluble. But I do admire the British grit and endurance under pressure and in a crisis. If it wasn't for the bravery and resolve of the British over the last 70 years, none of us would be able to enjoy the superior pleasures of life in a vibrant free France today.

...... I think that before long Ben Farrar, Scott Dureau, Ian Henderson and Lopini Paea will come to appreciate all of this. Jason Baiteiri already does.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____