Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cliff Spracklen

Apology to Paris Surtout

5 posts in this topic

I realise the original thread has been deleted but I do wish to apologise to Paris Surtout and explain calmly ;

my reasons for my arguements.

I do not think for one moment that you are in any way racist or sympathetic to Nazi ideology. If my response creates that impression then I apologise unreservedly.

But I am very clear that any attempt to talk about what could be interpreted as racial stereotyping alongside terms like scientific evidence is not helpful, even if it is intended in a kindly, benevolent or positive way. Far too often others have latched on to such discussions to promote mischief and malice. I have spent much of my life on the front line of race relations so I know what sort of people can latch on to the bandwagon of racial stereotyping. So a heartfelt personal apology to you as I know you to be a million miles from that kind of caricature, indeed you would be appalled by any hint of association. But I have no regrets at raising the issue of the dangers of racial stereotyping.

There have been previous threads that have got frighteningly near to encouraging such reactions. Even the merest allusion can set the ball rolling. Such views are not uncommon as train journeys on a Saturday morning full of a certain type of football fan can confirm.

I acknowledge totally that RL officials in Australia have gone out of their way to attract members of the indigenous communities to the sport. A very positive outcome as it has increased further the potential pool of RL players, which must mean that Australia recruits from a much larger proportion of the potential athletes than does the UK, which is recruiting from a much smaller base. Indeed for whatever reason the number of

Stereotypes:

A "stereotype" is a generalization about a person or group of persons. We develop stereotypes when we are unable or unwilling to obtain all of the information we would need to make fair judgments about people or situations. In the absence of the "total picture," stereotypes in many cases allow us to "fill in the blanks." Our society often innocently creates and perpetuates stereotypes, but these stereotypes often lead to unfair discrimination and persecution when the stereotype is unfavorable.

PS's problem was that he didn't think he was stereotyping, and he thought that his few statistics were a conclusive argument so therefore wasn't stereotyping. They weren't. He had some of the information, but then filled in the blanks. That is stereotyping. It is an innocent stereotype, but is still a stereotype.

Is there a particular reason why the thread was deleted out of hand and not just locked?

I realise the original thread has been deleted but I do wish to apologise to Paris Surtout and explain calmly ;

my reasons for my arguements.

I do not think for one moment that you are in any way racist or sympathetic to Nazi ideology. If my response creates that impression then I apologise unreservedly.

But I am very clear that any attempt to talk about what could be interpreted as racial stereotyping alongside terms like scientific evidence is not helpful, even if it is intended in a kindly, benevolent or positive way. Far too often others have latched on to such discussions to promote mischief and malice. I have spent much of my life on the front line of race relations so I know what sort of people can latch on to the bandwagon of racial stereotyping. So a heartfelt personal apology to you as I know you to be a million miles from that kind of caricature, indeed you would be appalled by any hint of association. But I have no regrets at raising the issue of the dangers of racial stereotyping.

There have been previous threads that have got frighteningly near to encouraging such reactions. Even the merest allusion can set the ball rolling. Such views are not uncommon as train journeys on a Saturday morning full of a certain type of football fan can confirm.

I acknowledge totally that RL officials in Australia have gone out of their way to attract members of the indigenous communities to the sport. A very positive outcome as it has increased further the potential pool of RL players, which must mean that Australia recruits from a much larger proportion of the potential athletes than does the UK, which is recruiting from a much smaller base. Indeed for whatever reason the number of

Thanks all.

I think this should be locked now, to prevent any repeat of the previous thread.

(I only read some of the previous thread)

Is there a particular reason why the thread was deleted out of hand and not just locked?

Yes, it was because I didn't have the time or patience to fillet out all the insults people were hurling at each other by the end of it, or put myself in a position of being seen to endorse any of the comments that would have remained.

I'm locking this one before it has the opportunity to go the same way. That's not a reflection on Cliff's opening post as he made by far the most sensible, incisive and intelligent contribution in the previously deleted thread too.