Barrow for SL?

A bloody sight more than a half of bitter and a packet of crisps!

Were you trying to impress her or get rid of her? ;)

Well... we're still together-ish (live apart, it's complicated) but she wears my ring now,and spends what time she can with me, like all all last weekend, and such like.

Can't even drag her to Wembley even now though, I blame the bats in the Salford game.

I think we're now way way way off topic, and amybe should perhaps shut up...... ;)

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

Well... we're still together-ish (live apart, it's complicated) but she wears my ring now,and spends what time she can with me, like all all last weekend, and such like.

Can't even drag her to Wembley even now though, I blame the bats in the Salford game.

I think we're now way way way off topic, and amybe should perhaps shut up...... ;)

Agreed. :D

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

As people have been fondly throwing around in every conversation except ones like these, if we had failed in our first attempt we would have had a different squad for the play offs last year and the league this year.

We have had a plan to get to super league. Our youth was apparently an issue last time. This time, we're the only club really giving youth a go in our division. We have blooded a number of youngsters this season, it's not easy to get the balance right. Other teams have brought in journeymen instead. They already have the experience to win matches. All our first win has done is made sure we could concentrate on the strength of our bid and address the issues we have been given.

Other teams have not been addressing youth.

This is where the licensing system fails.

If what you say is correct then your faithful fans will have been short changed for two seasons. They have been asked to pay the going rate for admission to games when the club deliberately chooses not to provide the best possible value for money entertainment.

To say that only Widnes have gone down the route of giving youth its chance is way off the mark. Hardaker and Smeaton come to mind at Fev for instance, both lads missed by SL clubs despite their superior financial and scouting resources. And at last we have, after a long hard slog, been eventually given the nod to enter a side in the SL academy next season, albeit sadly, through dogged and persistent determination from Daryl Powell having to go to great lengths to prove that Rovers are worthy.

It will be at least five years before Fev are even considered for a SL license even if they dominate the Championship for the duration of that period. The club is run ultra professionally, probably far better than most in our division and some in SL.

Where is the incentive for chairman, Mark Campbell and his colleagues to keep investing their hard earned cash over these forthcoming years into a system which provides no guarantees of reward for their generosity and dedication depite the teams on field successes?

Edited by Terry Mullaney

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

I agree Terry, but those are the cards we have been dealt in this Division.

It's ok for those Clubs who were already in Super League, they had a head start.

Why do you think Widnes put all it's eggs in one basket in 2007 to gain promotion. Unfortunatly it back fired.

Once in Super League you had a much easier chance of staying there........

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

If what you say is correct then your faithful fans will have been short changed for two seasons. They have been asked to pay the going rate for admission to games when the club deliberately chooses not to provide the best possible value for money entertainment.

In the statement regarding the financial results at Widnes there's the following quote;

This has been achieved while continuing to operate up to the Co-operative Championship salary cap limit.

So I don't think we should mistake poor performance on the pitch with a conscious decision not to spend money on the first team if they've been spending up to the cap limit.

Anyhow, back to the topic, we all have our opinions on Barrow's ability to meet the criteria and the ground seems to be the biggest stumbling block and whilst I like it I've heard first hand why others don't. However, theres something about having a Super League team in Cumbria that appeals, for to long Cumbria has been the forgotten heartlands and if any other part of the country had the set up in terms of amateurs, ability to produce Super League standard players etc etc, they'd be a shoe in.

That said, you can't argue that Widnes have a very strong case for also being included which leaves me wondering if we should be bringing up at least a couple of teams or be thinking about expanding the league.

Where is the incentive for chairman, Mark Campbell and his colleagues to keep investing their hard earned cash over these forthcoming years into a system which provides no guarantees of reward for their generosity and dedication depite the teams on field successes?

There is no incentive.

And that is the big problem.

Cumbria has more part timers/ amateurs playing per capita than anywhere in thw world out side of sections of Aussie.

We had SIX Barrovians playing yesterday & if not for injuries would have had more...............

North West Evening MailRaidersNewsRaiders back with a bang to crush Widnes with video

Last updated at 15:11, Monday, 06 September 2010

Raiders v Widnes Match Highlights Click Here

TOUCHDOWN: Matt James dives on a loose ball to score a try for Raiders

CRUSHING display from a rejuvenated Barrow Raiders saw them destroy Widnes in the Championship play-offs.

Returning forward Matt James hailed the efforts of a home side who ran out 38-0 winners with a magnificent performance from start to finish.

James, in his first game for more than four months, was one of six Barrow try-scorers in a win that sets up a home clash with Sheffield this week. A brace from Liam Campbell, plus scores from Ned Catic, Liam Harrison, James Coyle and Andy Ballard ensured a complete rout for caretaker coach Dave Clark and his men.

Edited by mick wilson