Museum of Museums

Not quite off topic but.....

Next to the Trafford Centre in the old Argos building peel have opened a Museum of museums, it gives a taster for many local museums.

As part of this Salford have I think with the RFL got a RL section. This alone is good news but according to a poster on the RLFANS turkey Salford are using it as a marketing ploy. They signed up some families to come and sample the greatest game (unfortunetly they saw Solly V Wakey)

The poster is now so taken with the agme he wants more and is thinking about going to the GF.

It seems that the family atmosphere and openness of the players signing autographs and chatting to the kids won them all over. They will go to more games next year.

When Salford move to the new stadium this sort of marketing may play an ever bigger part.

Has anyone else been to the museum?

I've said countless times before that you have to offer more than just a game of rugby to get the extra fans in.

Existing fans will go for the game, but we need to attract new fans. Getting out there and selling the game in places like the Trafford Centre is a good start. Offering a friendly and clean environment is another. Players mingling with fans and signing autographs is another.

For a moment, put yourself in the mind of a ten-year-old. He goes to the game for the first time and is blown away by the size, speed and excitement of it all. Then one of those gladiators who have just made a huge impression comes over and ruffles his hair before signing his program. You've now got a fan for life. (It works for ten-year-old girls, too, as well as kids of all ages!) We do more of this than soccer, but we need to do more.

Small gripe about the Trafford Centre: when I visited in April (Easter weekend), I couldn't find a single Salford shirt for sale. There were a few Saints shirts and one assistant directed me to Sale Sharks shirts - I ask you! Salford need to look a lot more carefully at their marketing.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Tony, you would struggle to find a Salford shirt in the Salford shop by Easter!!

Merchandising is an area that Salford can really improve. They do well in the development areas and this museum is an extention of that and covers all RL.

Not quite off topic but.....

Next to the Trafford Centre in the old Argos building peel have opened a Museum of museums, it gives a taster for many local museums.

As part of this Salford have I think with the RFL got a RL section. This alone is good news but according to a poster on the RLFANS turkey Salford are using it as a marketing ploy. They signed up some families to come and sample the greatest game (unfortunetly they saw Solly V Wakey)

The poster is now so taken with the agme he wants more and is thinking about going to the GF.

It seems that the family atmosphere and openness of the players signing autographs and chatting to the kids won them all over. They will go to more games next year.

When Salford move to the new stadium this sort of marketing may play an ever bigger part.

Has anyone else been to the museum?

RW For anyone who lives away from the Manchester area the Museum is situated right next to the Barton Square section of the Trafford Centre in what indeed was the Argos warehouse,there is ample free parking in both the Museum site and Barton Square although the Museum site is not fully open yet.

The Barton Square can be accessed from the main section of the Trafford Centre via the covered walkway close to Boots and John Lewis or alternatively if you go past Asda coming from the old Swing Bridge Barton Square is on the left

The Salford City Reds section is a well thought out and constructed part of the Museum which also has a transport site,Brewing site plus others.

The City Reds site has obviously been well received by some of the people hence the post on The Scarlet Turkey and as a long standing RL fan (SCR primarily)I found it very interesting and feel that it will benefit the club and the game in the long run.