Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Drake

League Express is 20 today

10 posts in this topic

League Express is 20 today.

Time to dig out the party poppers!

Those were the days :D Am I right in thinking that it was Wigan v Sheffield on the cover?

I have fond memories of a work experience/work shadowing trip to League Express in the early 1990s. Back then the League Express office was a tiny cupboard like space in the Telegraph & Argus building in Bradford. Lots of clutter, a young, recently graduated Oldham fan by the name of Andy Wilson was working there, along with Tim and others. It seemed really exciting being in a newsroom - they had those old Macs with black and white screens, using an early version of Quark Xpress.

Before the move to Wellington House, I'm sure there was another office - correct me if I'm wrong - maybe again at the T&A building. I spent one student summer going in there once a week to write up pieces for Total Rugby League (anyone remember that?). - interviews and previews with people like Jimmy Lowes, Paul Carr, Lynton Stott, that Aussie bloke with blond/ginger hair who played for London, Tony Martin

Oops, accidental double post :wacko:

Obviously too excited by the news :D

Edited by West Country Eagle

Is there anyway of putting one online in a pdf to look through? Would be very interested to see it.

Is there anyway of putting one online in a pdf to look through? Would be very interested to see it.

I'm not sure where to look for the original files to be honest, League Express HQ has moved around a bit since 1990.

However, here's an entertaining blog on the subject from a certain Mr Tony Hannan which also includes a piccy of the first cover.

Widnes were reigning Official World Club Champions...........

My! League express is getting old!!!!! :lol:

Not as good as the Rugby Leaguer though, is it?

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure where to look for the original files to be honest, League Express HQ has moved around a bit since 1990.

However, here's an entertaining blog on the subject from a certain Mr Tony Hannan which also includes a piccy of the first cover.

Hmmm, just a bit gushing and self-congratulatory by TH don't you think?

How does he reckon that RLE etc have had a "massive impact on the wellbeing of RL in general"? Succinct answers rather than political waffle in response please. Personally I believe that most sports publications reflect the wellbeing of their games rather than creating such, but then what do I know?

Happy Anniversary btw.

;)

Sad I know John, but I have almost every copy in my archives (maybe missing a dozen or so)!!