Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dennis Bloodnock

Where to stay in Wigan

21 posts in this topic

Mrs B and myself intend to attend the Wigan v Hull KR playoff game this Friday night in Wigan.We will be driving from Cleveleys and would like to stay overnight and have a few drinks after the game in the middle of Wigan.

Can any of the good people of Wigan suggest any reasonable accommodation near the city ?

We would like to see the other attractins like the Wigan Pier and whatever else this famous place has to offer .

Mrs B and myself intend to attend the Wigan v Hull KR playoff game this Friday night in Wigan.We will be driving from Cleveleys and would like to stay overnight and have a few drinks after the game in the middle of Wigan.

Can any of the good people of Wigan suggest any reasonable accommodation near the city ?

We would like to see the other attractins like the Wigan Pier and whatever else this famous place has to offer .

I stayed in the quality inn in Wigan, that place is alright

Anvil a must for a few ales

Errrrrr thats it :D

I stayed in the quality inn in Wigan, that place is alright

Anvil a must for a few ales

Errrrrr thats it :D

Wow, you should write travel guides..... :P

Wow, you should write travel guides..... :P

......... or get out a bit more :P:P

Hardly a city!!! :rolleyes:

I would suggest the Swan and Railway if you you want something in the centre plus right near to Wigan Pier Train station and 5mins walk to DW.

Your missus will love it here.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&...726957181769517

There's a Premier Inn at Orrell right next to junction 26 of the M6 about 2 miles from the DW and 3 miles from town. Check the Premier Inns website.

Gallagher's is the best place for a drink. Lots of visitors from London and the south of France like it there.

Gallagher's is the best place for a drink. Lots of visitors from London and the south of France like it there.

a handful is not a lot ;) thank you very much :P

I'd go for the Quality Inn if I were you, we are not overly blessed with good hotels! Anything else is either going to be a long way out of town or be on the ropey side of ropey!

I'd take in the Pier on your way to the ground if you have time, don't think its open as a tourist attraction as such anymore, so you can pretty much take in all it has to offer as you walk from town to the ground.

The Anvil is a good shout, other than that, not to sure what to recommend, the trains to Manchester are frequent...............!!!

I'd go for the Quality Inn if I were you, we are not overly blessed with good hotels! Anything else is either going to be a long way out of town or be on the ropey side of ropey!

I'd take in the Pier on your way to the ground if you have time, don't think its open as a tourist attraction as such anymore, so you can pretty much take in all it has to offer as you walk from town to the ground.

The Anvil is a good shout, other than that, not to sure what to recommend, the trains to Manchester are frequent...............!!!

yeah at least it's staggering distance...I've never stayed in the centre...is the Bellingham OK?

Anvils ok and will be full of RL fans..stay away from King St

I'd go for the Quality Inn if I were you,

Forgot to add, Paley has a fondness for there pillows as well

I'd suggest the Sheraton Wigan-Aspull, or the Kempinski in leafy Ince. If both are fully booked, go for the Radisson International (Wigan Airport) - pricey, but 5 stars, and handy for your flight back to Blackpool.

Quality Inn is alright and it has a fine selection of Sale Sharks leaflets at reception

Quality Inn is alright and it has a fine selection of Sale Sharks leaflets at reception

Only if Dave Swantons wife still works there!

no such place as the quality inn, now called THE OAKS, beer prices sky high in their though, sleep there drink in Sams bar. :D

if you want to try a good English pub hotel with a good kitchen try:

Bay Horse. 53 Warrington Road, Ashton In Makerfield, Wigan, Lancashire, WN4 9PJ

I have stayed there and can recommend it. It is very English.

No baguettes for breakfast, but the food is good by English standards.

For the slightly more sophisticated palate there is a decent Italian restaurant not far away.

However you need a car to get around.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Travel down the road and stay in the much posher cheshire town of Warrington.

Thank you for your advice,we stopped at the Belair which was cheap and cheerful with friendly staff and a nice breakfast.

Attended the game and sat with the Hull KR fans and enjoyed the atmosphere and passion of both sets of fans.Quite an easy win by Wigan in the end.Went for a beer in the Anvil and talked to a couple of fans in there.l had a pint of Bucking Fastard :rolleyes: which was nice.

You can tell you are in a rugby league town when you go in the bookshop and there is a great selection of RL on the shelves

Great place,great fans and friendly people oh and the pies are nice too .

Glad you had a good time Dennis. When Central Park still existed Wigan Lane (From the Cherrys to the Royal Oak) was awesome

it's funny, whenever I used to go to away games I always managed to get a beer in either before or after somewhere near to the ground, I never did at Wigan, I have no idea why. Leigh, Rochdale, Oldham, Wire, everywhere else beer, never Wigan.