Obstruction/Blocking

There's been instances of players not in possession running into or through the defensive line. Tries have been chalked off and penalties given against the side in possession.

Noticed in the Friday game that Chris Tuson of Wigan deliberately stood in an offside position facing the defensive line just a yard or two to the right of a Wigan play the ball. Wigan were within a couple of yeards of the Rovers line, not far in from the left hand touchline at the away end. Hull KR had players around the ruck ready to try and prevent the acting half back going on his own. Tuson was obviously standing in that position to attempt to affect the defensive line, and as the ball has played he moved towards the defenders.

I don't know if anyone else picked up on it, the referee certainly didn't even though he had an unobstructed view from 10 feet away, but that play the ball led to a Wigan try and surely it should have been chalked off for delibearte offside/interference?

There's been instances of players not in possession running into or through the defensive line. Tries have been chalked off and penalties given against the side in possession.

Noticed in the Friday game that Chris Tuson of Wigan deliberately stood in an offside position facing the defensive line just a yard or two to the right of a Wigan play the ball. Wigan were within a couple of yeards of the Rovers line, not far in from the left hand touchline at the away end. Hull KR had players around the ruck ready to try and prevent the acting half back going on his own. Tuson was obviously standing in that position to attempt to affect the defensive line, and as the ball has played he moved towards the defenders.

I don't know if anyone else picked up on it, the referee certainly didn't even though he had an unobstructed view from 10 feet away, but that play the ball led to a Wigan try and surely it should have been chalked off for delibearte offside/interference?

Straws Clutching At - REARRANGE

Perfectly legal.

Section 11 10-g of rules. Team in posession , players need only be behind the players involved at the play the ball. If you notice the player does not move. He is essentially a dummy run. ST Helens do this a lot with Hardman and more often than not he scores from that position.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Perfectly legal.

Section 11 10-g of rules. Team in posession , players need only be behind the players involved at the play the ball. If you notice the player does not move. He is essentially a dummy run. ST Helens do this a lot with Hardman and more often than not he scores from that position.

How long is it since he played for Saints?

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

a big issue in the modern game given so many plays involve the use of decoy runners

the very simple rule in the nrl is if a decoy runner goes into space and then the following play goes into that same hole created by the decoy it will be an obstruction. in addition to instances of the decoy obstructing the tackler as well

in some instances perfectly valid tries have been disallowed just because a decoy ran into an opposition tackler even though there was no obstruction.

indeed many defenders run into decoys to milk an obstruction penalty

Straws Clutching At - REARRANGE

No matter how many times I have rearranged those three words it still makes a nonsensical reply from you. I thought it was a very interesting tactic that does not appear to have been picked up on. In the wakefield vs Hull FC game a couple of months ago, Kirk Yeaman was called offside at the play the ball when he was getting back into the line from the previous play. He was in roughly the same position as Tuson relative to the play the ball but not deliberately so. He scored but the try was chalked off.

I would be interested to know, from any match officials on here, why Tuson was not penalised for deliberate offside and trying to distract defenders by mving towards them when the ball was played.

Perfectly legal.

Which is it then, as your post is clearly contradicting itself? If he moves towards the defending team as we often see, then I agree that this is a deliberate attempt to obstruct the defence. If her stands still then clearly not. I'm for ever getting frustrated by players stepping across the defence without a hope of receiving a pass, and also players deliberately taking out defenders such as we saw yesterday between Warington and Huddersfield that caused an all in brawl.

Which is it then, as your post is clearly contradicting itself? If he moves towards the defending team as we often see, then I agree that this is a deliberate attempt to obstruct the defence. If her stands still then clearly not. I'm for ever getting frustrated by players stepping across the defence without a hope of receiving a pass, and also players deliberately taking out defenders such as we saw yesterday between Warington and Huddersfield that caused an all in brawl.

Sorry Terry, Graham. No idea why I said Hardman!

Ackro' No contradictions. He does not move. If he did and took someone out, without having ball, he would be obstructing and penalised.

Note the word "essentially". By being where he is, he causes confusion and concern in the defence. Nothing wrong with that, perhaps people prefer 5 drives and a kick?

He is an "option". He may be in the way,people may not like the "tactic" but lets not get personal opinions or preferences get in the way, because according to the laws of the game, until they are changed to get the attacking team back a certain distance like the defence, he is doing nothing wrong. He simply needs to be behind the acting half back.

Edited by The 4 of Us

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910