Hunslet/York

DMS

On a thread a while ago i said how pleased i'd be if Hunslet and York were promoted. And i am. It's a selfish reason maybe but replacing tedious trips to Haven and Keighley with two short trips to near neighbours suits me just fine. Means i don't have to put up with Russ for too long. I'm also looking forward to seeing some of our old boys back at POR. I'm not a big fan of their grounds but i'll put up with that so i can be home for tea.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

I haven't been to York since they played at Clarence Street. In fact I don't think I've been there since we played them in the Yorkshire Cup and Paul Lyman scored an individual long distance try.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

You're gonna be very lonely when Widnes and Wakefield exchange places :P

When that happens there will be Leigh, Barrow n Toulouse from outside Yorkshire. Toulouse is a must visit, Barrow as well but only if it's an overnight jaunt. Leigh is a good un, always good fun and a smashing new ground. I'll definately be a happy bunny.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

You're gonna be very lonely when Widnes and Wakefield exchange places :P

Not wrong there, our local derby will be Halifax! :mellow:

When that happens there will be Leigh, Barrow n Toulouse from outside Yorkshire. Toulouse is a must visit, Barrow as well but only if it's an overnight jaunt. Leigh is a good un, always good fun and a smashing new ground. I'll definately be a happy bunny.

Done both of our visits to Toulouse and already got the cash set aside for next year - Barrow is always an interesting one but travelling over t'hill every other week won't do much for our already declining away support :(

The only shame is the ground 2 traditional ones replaced with ones you needs binoculars to see the game hmmm

I thought it was a great view in the upper tier at Hunslet when we played them in the Northern Rail this year, good atmosphere and a top craic as well - a block full of Leigh fans were stood up in an area of the upper tier where there aren't any seats in place so a few stewards came up to try to get everyone to move in to empty seats at the other side of the stand. Cue everyone just sitting down on the concrete and the stewards shrugging their shoulders "good enough for us!" :D

Gaz Handford's side step and something else that PJT and me still talk about was the abiding memory of our last visit to York.

I remember York's fullback Knowles a great character and a reported chicken stealer. We often had a laugh with him when he visited POR. Welcome back York and Hunslet

The only shame is the ground 2 traditional ones replaced with ones you needs binoculars to see the game hmmm

I've heard part of the great expansion of the game, they're actually putting more clubs in Lancashire :ph34r:

Cummins Out.

I've heard part of the great expansion of the game, they're actually putting more clubs in Lancashire :ph34r:

Well from what I saw on Sunday Oldham didn't seem to have a clue how to break down the York defence.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Well from what I saw on Sunday Oldham didn't seem to have a clue how to break down the York defence.

Oldhams stand off found himself in the Championship One team of the year, I have no idea how on what I saw in the final.

Cummins Out.

I remember York's fullback Knowles a great character and a reported chicken stealer. We often had a laugh with him when he visited POR. Welcome back York and Hunslet

Knowles was the only rugby league player I can remember making a mark (the rugby union rule) before it was abolished in our game. They say nostalgia is a thing of the past!

Knowles was the only rugby league player I can remember making a mark (the rugby union rule) before it was abolished in our game. They say nostalgia is a thing of the past!

Having been watching since 1939 I remember a few 'marks.' For the uninitiated, if you caught the ball cleanly from a kick and dug you heel into the ground, immediately, you had made a 'mark' and you were allowed a kick into the oppositons half. Players after you had made the 'mark' couldn't scrag you of send you tumbling, they had to stand off you. You could not score directly from the kick, i.e a drop goal but you could aim for touch and put in a relieving kick. As you say 1945etseq, nostalgia. It was one of the remnants of RU that continued into RL.