Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Severus

Manchester uni charging £9k tuition fees

143 posts in this topic

So Manchester have joined Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and presumably the rest of the Russell group in charging £9k tuition fees. Also charging £9k are Exeter, Surrey and Essex! What is the bet that all UK universities will look to charge the full whack?

So Manchester have joined Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and presumably the rest of the Russell group in charging £9k tuition fees. Also charging £9k are Exeter, Surrey and Essex! What is the bet that all UK universities will look to charge the full whack?

It's all about the brand, and that brand will be seen as prestige.

Nice to see it's just the "exceptions" that are charging the £9000...

It's all about the brand, and that brand will be seen as prestige.

Exactly, no uni is want to be seen as offering bargain basement degrees.

The University of Manchester’s proposals for 2012/13 are subject to approval by the Office for Fair Access (OFFA).

see here and here

Mmmmm I seem to remember several members of this forum saying Unis wouldn't charge the full £9k when we were discussing the student demos. Maybe they'd like to comment now?

How much are Man City charging?

How much are Man City charging?

Far too much if their last couple of games are anything to go by. :dry:

Mmmmm I seem to remember several members of this forum saying Unis wouldn't charge the full £9k when we were discussing the student demos. Maybe they'd like to comment now?

I have already. Please read the contents of the links posted above.

Presumably they can only charge what people will pay, so if central funding has been cut and the only income lies with tution fees don't students have the ultimate power in deciding what Universitys can and can't charge?

Are they charging 6k now?

Presumably they can only charge what people will pay, so if central funding has been cut and the only income lies with tution fees don't students have the ultimate power in deciding what Universitys can and can't charge?

Are they charging 6k now?

If people don't want to pay then they will choose not to go to university. This will result in a return to the days when only the rich were educated and social mobility will suffer. I believe most if not all of the universities will seek to charge the full amount and I'm sure a fair bit of price fixing arrangements are going on behind the scenes.

Exactly, no uni is want to be seen as offering bargain basement degrees.

Well not quite. No Uni that wants to be seen as worth going to will want to be seen as offering bargain basement degrees. There will be some that will seek to pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap otherwise they'll be gone.

Anglia Ruskin are thinking of charging 9k.

Yes, ANGLIA BLOODY RUSKIN.

Yes, ANGLIA BLOODY RUSKIN.

Isn't that the dried up old cow with the wart who used to read the news?

(She read the news, not her wart).

9K is cheap.

Manchester University is easily the best University in Britain, probably the world even.

Its graduates among the suavist, best-looking, richest and most intelligent people alive.

9K is cheap.

Manchester University is easily the best University in Britain, probably the world even.

Its graduates among the suavist, best-looking, richest and most intelligent people alive.

All joking aide, Manchester is already a rather good university - and it's only going to improve from what I understand. 9k is a lot, but in theory it's about as much as you'd pay for a single semester at many good universities in the USA.

Not that I'm proposing the US higher education system as a good financial model, hell no. It's downright frightening.

If people don't want to pay then they will choose not to go to university. This will result in a return to the days when only the rich were educated

Well thats what they want

All joking aide, Manchester is already a rather good university - and it's only going to improve from what I understand. 9k is a lot, but in theory it's about as much as you'd pay for a single semester at many good universities in the USA.

Not that I'm proposing the US higher education system as a good financial model, hell no. It's downright frightening.

I wan't joking.

Marklaspalmas, B.A.Hons. (88-92).

9K is cheap.

Agreed.

Love

Just Browny B.A. Hons (2004-8).

Seriously though, Manchester was always going to do this for exactly the reasons mentioned, i.e. they believe they're up there with Oxford and Cambridge and need the high, prestigious tuition fees to match. The poor buggers who do humanities/languages degrees (like me) won't see much of it going back into their degrees, while the science students will get even more shiny facilities with blokes off TV giving the lectures.

I wan't joking.

Marklaspalmas, B.A.Hons. (88-92).

So you're a graduate...are we to believe the rest too? :rolleyes::tongue:

The poor buggers who do humanities/languages degrees (like me) won't see much of it going back into their degrees, while the science students will get even more shiny facilities with blokes off TV giving the lectures.

It could be that the poor buggers who do humanities and languages don't really need the amount of money that courses in engineering, sciences (and possibly medicine) do.

I dunno, might be one reason for such a situation.

It could be that the poor buggers who do humanities and languages don't really need the amount of money that courses in engineering, sciences (and possibly medicine) do.

I dunno, might be one reason for such a situation.

I don't believe I said that identical amounts should be spent on each different degree.

True JB. Mathematics is probably the cheapest course to deliver and the most useful. At our placate majority of the funding goes to social science [sic] and BA's.

the most useful.

Thought you might think that. :P

Our kid did graphic design at MMU and they had pretty decent facilities, which is good. The University of Manchester isn't interested in much unless an oil magnate, a major pharmaceuticals company or Deloitte are paying big bucks for it do to do so.