Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Severus

Manchester uni charging £9k tuition fees

143 posts in this topic

Hmm, that's interesting about the "average" cost. The lecturer never mentioned anything about non-resident costs etc. He'll get quizzes about that next time we have a residential week at Southampton!

'Non-resident' generally means from outside the State, not just from outside the USA.

Hmm, that's interesting about the "average" cost. The lecturer never mentioned anything about non-resident costs etc. He'll get quizzes about that next time we have a residential week at Southampton!

The fee system is actually quite complicated! As well as the various scholarships the university itself can award internally, there's Pell Grants etc.

Can you ask him for his raw figures, please? I'd really like to know what he used, as to be honest I'd be very disappointed if he simply looked up the stated fees and used them. That's not really good enough from someone who apparently teaches and performs research regarding the costs of tertiary education.

The "resident" / "non-resident" system is certainly important for the "public universities", but I think some private institutes do something similar. It's important to note that "resident" classification is not just nationality - it works on the level of states. So, say, Penn State, Ohio State, Rutgers, UVA, Michigan etc give you a break on fees if you qualify as a resident of those states in some way. The difference in tuition costs can therefore be significant.

I didn't mean the UK should have the exact same educational model as the US; the fees are way too high and financially crippling in the private sector. The public sector universities 'alledgedly' charge roughly the same costs as many of the UK uiversities want to. So I was referring to the principle of helping students through their studies via scholarship, grants etc as a good model (a busy day at work is my excuse for being illiterate!! :tongue: ). Our lecturer said these are still given to public sector students. Is this the case?

Yes, they certainly are awarded at public universities! At least, at the ones I have some familiarity with ...

The public sector universities 'alledgedly' charge roughly the same costs as many of the UK uiversities want to.

Hell no. Check out Michigan, U Virginia, U California colleges etc.

To all of you working out in the university sector, what is your take on wider participation and government targets? Are they too high? Will 50% have a good impact on the economy? I have my own opinions on it but it will be interesting to hear your view points. Any information would be useful before I tackle my essay...

Been over this many times before but my opinion is that WP is a good thing, the 50% target is a bad thing and more funding should be given to the sciences over arts degrees (for disclosure I work in the sciences).

That local to us, and I can never see that name in print without some grotesque image being conjured up.

Be that as it may, it is time for the Govt and OFFA to act and smack these chancers down. Even better, put Eric Pickles and Michael O'Leary in charge.

Upon further examination, this Bishop Grosseteste University College is what we used to call a teacher training college. I don't know they can justify charging £7,500 to teach people how to hitch up a caravan and spend 15 weeks a year on holiday before picking up a fat pension, but, on the other hand, it means I won't have to subsidise them.

Can you ask him for his raw figures, please? I'd really like to know what he used, as to be honest I'd be very disappointed if he simply looked up the stated fees and used them. That's not really good enough from someone who apparently teaches and performs research regarding the costs of tertiary education.

More than happy to ask. Won't be back there until the end of June though (distance learning course with three week residencials). For your interest, his name was Tom Taussik.

More than happy to ask. Won't be back there until the end of June though (distance learning course with three week residencials). For your interest, his name was Tom Taussik.

You're a top man, thanks!

I'll try to get some insider info with regards to who pays what where I am, that might be interesting.

In today's Evening Standard, there's a story that the lowest ranked university in the UK, London South Bank University, ranked 113 out of 113 is charging £8000 a year tuition fees.

I wonder what makes them so "exceptional" that they can charge over the £6000 that was listed as the maximum.

In today's Evening Standard, there's a story that the lowest ranked university in the UK, London South Bank University, ranked 113 out of 113 is charging £8000 a year tuition fees.

I wonder what makes them so "exceptional" that they can charge over the £6000 that was listed as the maximum.

There's a fair chance they'll be bust within the year, and no-one stays a year anyway, so all the students will pay a lot less than £6,000.

There's an easy solution.

2/3 of all universities are apparently so "exceptional" that they're going to charge the maximum £9000 per year.

Telegraph linky

2/3 of all universities are apparently so "exceptional" that they're going to charge the maximum £9000 per year.

Telegraph linky

If this coalition cabinet did not foresee this then it is very worrying for the UK.

Record numbers accepted on courses apparently. Looks like the kids have been looking into the facts about fees, payback etc.

Record numbers accepted on courses apparently. Looks like the kids have been looking into the facts about fees, payback etc.

Source?

We made the decision to enter clearing to hope to get some ABB students. I don't think we can complete with the Russell group universities but according to my boss we are 'close' to our target which was increased from last year. We haven't experienced the oft quoted 9% drop in applications since the 9k (8k in our case) fees came in. I think this is down to being a STEM subject and being located in Manchester.

We made the decision to enter clearing to hope to get some ABB students. I don't think we can complete with the Russell group universities but according to my boss we are 'close' to our target which was increased from last year. We haven't experienced the oft quoted 9% drop in applications since the 9k (8k in our case) fees came in. I think this is down to being a STEM subject and being located in Manchester.

I'm going onto the BSc Chemistry at MMU, that's hopefully to be full again next year.Though if a third of those actually turn up to lectures it'll be a surprise.

Ah, I remember the heady days when I got a mortgage

"Hello, I'm interested a mortgage please."

"Brilliant, how much would you like?

"We've only just started looking so we're not sure. How much can I have?"

"Hang on, just type in a few details.....Here we go. £870,000. I'm afraid it's because you only have a small deposit. I can start arranging it for you now if you like"

Verbatim. I almost fell of my chair. How the hell I would have repaid it...

In my capacity as an IFA, I refused to take on business from quite a few mortgage applicants on the basis they were over stretching their finances. However, there were many 'advisers' waiting to pounce. 125% mortgages and people borrowing over 25 years to fund a car/caravan was ridiculous. Banks were once falling over each other in their desire to lend excessive loans, and all under poor regulation from the FSA.

I'm going onto the BSc Chemistry at MMU, that's hopefully to be full again next year.Though if a third of those actually turn up to lectures it'll be a surprise.

I wouldn't worry about the lectures.  I did chemistry and hardly ever went to a lecture as they were very inconveniently scheduled to coincide with my morning hangover.

I basically read three books -

Physical Chemistry by Atkins

Inorganic Chemistry by Shriver, Atkins and Langford

Advanced Organic Chemistry - Reactions, Mechanisms and Structures by March

Read those to the point where you actually understand them, and you'll get your degree.  You won't know any chemistry, but you'll pass the exams easily.