Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trojan

Defunct grounds of current clubs

116 posts in this topic

Often visited Knotty Ash home of Liverpool City. The Chemics played a memorable Cup tie there. It was the first ever away game for me. Bought a Yates coach ticket for 3s-9p and had it on the mantle-piece in the living room for a week checking its validity each morning. A bit later re-visited on my bike going up to Rainhill and on via Prescott. Mike Brocken's book on Liverpool City a great read.

Yates Tours, that takes me back.

Used Yates myself back in the early seventies for some away games.

Not unknown for someone having to tell the driver how to get there.

Depo was Kent street way from memory.

Yates Tours, that takes me back.

Used Yates myself back in the early seventies for some away games.

Not unknown for someone having to tell the driver how to get there.

Depo was Kent street way from memory.

JH wasn't Kent St. I was brought up in Dickson St. It was the next one down with Piles Butchers on the corner! Cream charabanc with green flash. One day we arrived at Keighley at half time when the driver got us lost on the moors and we couldn't cross a stream as the bridge on this remote short cut was too narrow.

JH wasn't Kent St. I was brought up in Dickson St. It was the next one down with Piles Butchers on the corner! Cream charabanc with green flash. One day we arrived at Keighley at half time when the driver got us lost on the moors and we couldn't cross a stream as the bridge on this remote short cut was too narrow.

Agree it wasn't Kent St, just know it was in the vicinity.

Remember going to Hull for the cup tie in 1975, everywhere we went in Hull there was a coach going in the opposite direction.

Those were the days.

ah, but as the thread suggests, how many did you visit?

All of them. And I never paid to get in at any of them either :wink:

Couldn't you say the same about Leigh? The stands have changed and the lines might not be in exactly the same place, but isn't it basically the same bit of earth underneath it all?

Err NO............... unless by NOT in the same place you mean 1/2 mile away. :biggrin:

This was my list submitted a year or so ago to a similar thtread. Apologies for not taking out the exiasting grounds.:

Bramley(pro club): Barley Mow

McLaren Field

Clarence Field, Kirkstall

Hunslet: Parkside

Ladbrookes Greyhound Stadium

Elland Road

South Leeds Stadium

Mount leasant Batley

Fulham/London : Craven Cottage

Chiswick Poly

The Valley,Charlton

The Stoop

Griffin Park

Hull KR: Craven Park

New Craven Park

Trafford Borough: Moss Lane Altrincham

Springfield Borough: Springfield Park

Huyton: Alt Park

Runcorn Highfield: Canal Street, Runcorn

Highfield: Hoghton Road, St Helens

Horwich Mechanics Institute

Prescot Panthers; Hope Street, Prescot

Carlisle: Brunton Park

Gilford Park

York: Wigginton Road (aka Clarence Street)

Huntington Stadium

Dewsbury: Crown Flatt

New Crown Flatt

Batley: Mount Pleasant

Blackpool Borough : Borough Park

Blackpool Mechanics FC

Blackpool Gladiators: Blackpool Mechanics FC

Scarborough Pirates: Seamer Road (aka McCain Stadium)

Cardiff Blue Dragons: Ninian Park

Mansfield Marksman: Field Mill

Sutton Town FC

Alfreton Town FC

Nottingham City Outlaws: Harvey Hadden Stadium

Kent Invicta: London Road, Maidstone

Southend Invicta : Roots Hall

Lancashire Lynx: Deepdale, Preston

Doncaster: Tattersfield

Greyhound Stadium, Stainthorpe

Belle Vue

Sheffield Eagles: Owlerton

Bramall Lane

Saltergate(Chesterfield FC)

Don Valley

Wakefield Trinity: Belle Vue

Featherstone: Post Office Road

Castleford: Wheldon Road

Huddersfield: Fartown

Galpharm

Leeds Road (HTFC)

Halifax: Thrum Hall

The Shay

Bradford: Odsal

Valley Parade

Keighley: Lawkholme Lane

Gateshead Thunder: Thunderdome

Wigan: Central Park

JJB Stadium

Widnes: Naughton Park

Halton stadium

Warrington: Wilderspool

Hallewell Jones

St.Helens: Knowsley Road

Workington Town: Derwent Park

Whitehaven:Recreation Ground

Barrow: Craven Park

Swinton: Station Road

Gigg Lane

Oldham: Watersheddings

Boundary Park

Salford: Willows

Leigh: Hilton Park

Leeds: Headingley

Hull FC: Boulevard

KC Stadium

Rochdale: The Athletic Grounds

Spotland

Yes, they played at Stainforth for a while after Tattersfield was sold.

Other missing off the list include :-

Gillford Park, Carlisle

Fylde RUFC (Blackpool Panthers)

McCain Stadium (Scarborough Pirates)

Springfield Park, Wigan (Springfield Borough)

Moss Lane, Altrincham (Trafford Borough)

Deepdale (Lancashire Lynx)

Canal Street (Runcorn Highfield)

Valerie Park (Prescot Panthers)

Sedgely Park (Swinton)

Glad you mentioned that, I was about to. Went to quite a few games when Blackpool upped sticks and moved in on Wigan's turf. A cracking set of supporters and thoroughly enjoyed their company at every game I went to.

Owlerton Stadium is still open for Greyhound Racing and Speedway - but the infield hasnt been used for sport for many years.

Wow! I had just assumed that it had long gone. I was at the first rugby league game against Hornets.

Is it still in a decent state?

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing , and many of these grounds referred to in this thread are sadly missed by those of my generation , but having looked at this photostream on

makes you think ! maybe time has clouded our view of them :wink:

Thank you - That was great. Was York on there??

The Boulevard was awful. Bramleys Daisy stand was moved to cover the teraces but actually only covered the walkway at the back - it was bonkers.

Nostalgia is wonderful - all my 70's trips to these grounds were great days out. but yes the grounds themselves weren't that great, but many were historic.

I guess some you showed were the "nomadic" grounds that the small "new" clubs of the 1980's inhabited, I didn't go chasing to those grounds as many weren't RL grounds from the birth of the game.

In order I did not recognise 15, 16, 18, 19, 21.....

Anyone oblige??

Thank you again for that..............

I lined up one day opposite the great winger John Stopford at Borough Park.

Never visited Blackpool's earlier home of St Annes Greyhound Stadium further down the coast.

Often visited Knotty Ash home of Liverpool City. The Chemics played a memorable Cup tie there. It was the first ever away game for me. Bought a Yates coach ticket for 3s-9p and had it on the mantle-piece in the living room for a week checking its validity each morning. A bit later re-visited on my bike going up to Rainhill and on via Prescott. Mike Brocken's book on Liverpool City a great read.

As an old pedant can can I point out that the fare would have been . 3s-9d (3/9d.) d not p

3/9d bus fare

1s boys entry

programme 3d

bovril 2d

total 5/2d .

So at 5 bob pocket money + 3d for bottle return -that leaves 1d for either 4 blackjacks or if it was near bonfire night a penny Cannon to chuck at your mates. Happy days!

Note to younger readers 5/2d equals 26p

Nice one Moorman. Great memories of some shocking facilities. We just didn't care back then, eh?

Err NO............... unless by NOT in the same place you mean 1/2 mile away. :biggrin:

Ah, my mistake.

I visited the old Hilton Park ground many times over the years but haven't been to Leigh for ages, well since they dropped from SL. There used to be an amateur ground somewhere between a quarter and half a mile further out of town from HP(leigh Miners?) which we always used to pass on the way in, is that where it is?

The Boulevard was awful. Bramleys Daisy stand was moved to cover the teraces but actually only covered the walkway at the back - it was bonkers.

Nostalgia is wonderful - all my 70's trips to these grounds were great days out. but yes the grounds themselves weren't that great, but many were historic.

I guess some you showed were the "nomadic" grounds that the small "new" clubs of the 1980's inhabited, I didn't go chasing to those grounds as many weren't RL grounds from the birth of the game.

Anyone oblige??

I thought the old PARKSIDE ground was wonderful .Wish some one could post a pic of that place

Ah, my mistake.

I visited the old Hilton Park ground many times over the years but haven't been to Leigh for ages, well since they dropped from SL. There used to be an amateur ground somewhere between a quarter and half a mile further out of town from HP(leigh Miners?) which we always used to pass on the way in, is that where it is?

The LSV is nearer to the East Lancs Road where the old BARLA training facility used to be. As it is now, if you drive down the A579 from the East Lancs Road, you will first have the LSV main stadium on your right, immediately followed by Leigh East's new gaff and then cross the canal bridge with Leigh Miners immediately on your right hand side.

Think it's a little strange to include grounds in this list that are still standing (Gigg Lane, Deepdale and the like), so of grounds that no longer exist I've got the following rather short list;

Hilton Park (as you'd expect - I played in one of the last 3 games there in a curtain raiser against the GB All Stars side)

Central Park (as much as I hate to say it, I agree with others that that place had a tremendous aura about it. Still a little strange driving down from Scholes and seeing Tesco instead of the floodlights)

Knowsley Road (ended up going to the last game there, glad I did although I'd been a good few times previously watching Leigh and neutral games)

Wilderspool (only a couple of times to watch Leigh, one of which was a Challenge Cup Quarter Final in 2001. Technically still standing but I believe in a bit of a sorry state these days).

Have also watched Blackpool at both Bloomfield Road and Fylde RU before their demise and Chorley at Victory Park.

All three of those grounds still exist though so I'm breaking my own rules there!

The LSV is nearer to the East Lancs Road where the old BARLA training facility used to be. As it is now, if you drive down the A579 from the East Lancs Road, you will first have the LSV main stadium on your right, immediately followed by Leigh East's new gaff and then cross the canal bridge with Leigh Miners immediately on your right hand side.

Think it's a little strange to include grounds in this list that are still standing (Gigg Lane, Deepdale and the like), so of grounds that no longer exist I've got the following rather short list;

Hilton Park (as you'd expect - I played in one of the last 3 games there in a curtain raiser against the GB All Stars side)

Central Park (as much as I hate to say it, I agree with others that that place had a tremendous aura about it. Still a little strange driving down from Scholes and seeing Tesco instead of the floodlights)

Knowsley Road (ended up going to the last game there, glad I did although I'd been a good few times previously watching Leigh and neutral games)

Wilderspool (only a couple of times to watch Leigh, one of which was a Challenge Cup Quarter Final in 2001. Technically still standing but I believe in a bit of a sorry state these days).

Have also watched Blackpool at both Bloomfield Road and Fylde RU before their demise and Chorley at Victory Park.

All three of those grounds still exist though so I'm breaking my own rules there!

Central Park definately had an Aura,as did all the other old grounds .I'm not trying to take the P---,but all these supernatural shows going on over the media/internet ,there was /is one from the Y E P ,i think if they did one at these old grounds and see what they can on us with or come up, with.

Ok once again ! I'll get me coat

Anyone oblige??

Thank you - That was great. Was York on there?? Number 1

In order I did not recognise 15, 16, 18, 19, 21

Dark side...

15 Waterloo RUFC Old Stand

16 Taunton RUFC Stand (Old Ground)

18 Halifax RUFC Old Stand

19 Huddersfield RUFC Old Ground

21 Wilmslow RUFC

...but you recognised number 17 (Gloucester RUFC Kingsholm Old Stand)?

The full list:-

1 York RLFC Wigginton Road/Clarence Street

2 Wigan RLFC Central Park "Back o' Sticks"

3 Wigan RLFC Central Park Douglas Stand

4 Widnes RLFC Old Stand

5 Swinton RLFC Station Road

6 Leigh RLFC Hilton Park

7 Leigh RLFC Hilton Park Main Stand

8 Hull RLFC Boulevard Threepenny Stand

9 Hull RLFC Boulevard Main Stand

10 Huddersfield RLFC Fartown Stand

11 Halifax RLFC Thrum Hall Stand

12 Doncaster RLFC Tattersfield Stand

13 Bramley RLFC Cover

14 Bramley RLFC Stand

17 Gloucester RUFC Kingsholm Old Stand

20 Blackpool Borough RLFC Stand

21 Wilmslow RUFC

22 St Helens RLFC Knowsley Road Stand

23 St Helens RLFC Knowsley Road Covered Side

24 St Helens RLFC Knowsley Road Covered End

I did not recognise 15, 16, 18, 19, 21[/i]

Dark side...

21 Wilmslow RUFC

...but you recognised number 17 (Gloucester RUFC Kingsholm Old Stand)?

Sorry MH for some daft reason I had 17 down as Saints. Great to see Borough Park again.

Best ground photos ever though were the two of Knotty ash that came up last year......

Thanks for your assistance.....

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing , and many of these grounds referred to in this thread are sadly missed by those of my generation , but having looked at this photostream on http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundhopper27/sets/72157624470414707/with/4834389825/

makes you think ! maybe time has clouded our view of them :wink:

Brilliant photostream Moorman. Is there some kind of link for this?

With Salford now having vacated the Willows and Saints leaving Knowsley Road by my reckoning ALL the traditional RL grounds in Lancashire are now consigned to history ,though in Yorks we still have the old stadiums at Leeds Cas and Wakefield .

Not forgetting Batley, of course.

Ive been chatting elsewhere as towhat now are the oldest grounds still in operation, Belle vue, wakey, Headingley,or Mount pleasant?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundhopper27/sets/72157624470414707/with/4834389825/

The way I found the link was to press the reply button to Moorman's post. The code of his post then comes up on the screen, including the above link.

Thanks MH.

Us old gimmers struggle with this new fangled technology.

Not forgetting Batley, of course.

And Odsal and Post Office Road, there are no new Cumbrian superdomes either.