Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trojan

Defunct grounds of current clubs

116 posts in this topic

Back in the 70s hunslet played a home game at headingley due to bad weather

They played their away game at Headingley on 21st. December 1968, and after it snowed the following week switched the return home game to Headingley.

I was delighted because it got televised. I didn't go away then! We got a big gate for it so that helped the club!!

I often wish I could see the recording of that match, but they used to wipe the tapes I think.

There's a picture of Parkside here

http://www.secretlee...308&HighLight=1

Iwent to old Parkside as young boy taken by adults,but my main memory was when we went as young lads going on the bus from the corn exchange and it seemed like an awful long journey in 1961 ,the season following Leeds won the championship and I saw then the passion for Hunslet by those people .I heard them say "Shaw wont play for GB again ,now he's up there [Leeds]".I used to go there later,but like old Belle vue ,what great places they were when they were in their original state .I still hear old Hunslet people in pubs in town saying how much they dislike Leeds .What a great loss

Burnden Park was home to selected Swinton games in the 80's

When Swinton were first promoted they Played Saints there as their first home game back in the 1980's, as well as Bradford and someone else who I can't remember, I don't think we won any, they were close games.

Ive been chatting elsewhere as towhat now are the oldest grounds still in operation, Belle vue, wakey, Headingley,or Mount pleasant?

The first Rugby (sic) game at Mount Pleasant was in 1880 and Batley have never played at any other home ground as far as I am aware.

When Swinton were first promoted they Played Saints there as their first home game back in the 1980's, as well as Bradford and someone else who I can't remember, I don't think we won any, they were close games.

I saw us play Wigan there I'm guessing in '85 or '86 - from memory, one of Joe Grima's earliest game for us - and no I don't think the score was close!

of course back in the 70s hunslet played a home game at headingley due to bad weather i belive bradford also did .

I can't remember any league games but I can remember a cup match against Wakey being played there (I think) back in the seventies. Odsal was unfit, too much mud apparently, so Northern were forced to move the game to a neutral ground for our home draw. I think it was 8 apiece and the replay was taken to Belle Vue where we lost ( I think Neil Fox scored the winning try under the sticks)on a pitch which was deeper in mud than anything I've ever seen at Odsal.

I think it was one of those winters where a backlog had built up and the RFL were getting desperate, I certainly can't imagine how else the game would have been played on such a shocking pitch. It certainly annoyed the Bradford fans though, as the field was far worse than our ground and we'd been forced to concede home advantage.

I saw us play Wigan there I'm guessing in '85 or '86 - from memory, one of Joe Grima's earliest game for us - and no I don't think the score was close!

No, ha ha, I didn't mean the Wigan one, I think Bradford was 0-8, Saints was about 14 or 12 points

I can't remember any league games but I can remember a cup match against Wakey being played there (I think) back in the seventies. Odsal was unfit, too much mud apparently, so Northern were forced to move the game to a neutral ground for our home draw. I think it was 8 apiece and the replay was taken to Belle Vue where we lost ( I think Neil Fox scored the winning try under the sticks)on a pitch which was deeper in mud than anything I've ever seen at Odsal.

I think it was one of those winters where a backlog had built up and the RFL were getting desperate, I certainly can't imagine how else the game would have been played on such a shocking pitch. It certainly annoyed the Bradford fans though, as the field was far worse than our ground and we'd been forced to concede home advantage.

I seem to remember playing Bradford at Headingley in the 1980's, we played there because it was on tv and the BBC wanted to guarentee the tie took place, cant remember the year exactly..

I seem to remember playing Bradford at Headingley in the 1980's, we played there because it was on tv and the BBC wanted to guarentee the tie took place, cant remember the year exactly..

It's probably the same match we're remembering, though I don't recollect it being on TV. I do seem to remember they'd tried a couple of times (unsuccessfully) to get the game on at Odsal before it was moved to Headingley. I'm not sure the Beeb would have put on a midweek evening match either, to be honest. For some reason I have the strange feeling the replay was at Belle Vue the very next evening too, which to be fair isn't all that likely really, but that is how I remember it.

It's probably the same match we're remembering, though I don't recollect it being on TV. I do seem to remember they'd tried a couple of times (unsuccessfully) to get the game on at Odsal before it was moved to Headingley. I'm not sure the Beeb would have put on a midweek evening match either, to be honest. For some reason I have the strange feeling the replay was at Belle Vue the very next evening too, which to be fair isn't all that likely really, but that is how I remember it.

In 1983 when Fev won the CC they didn't play at home at all. They were drawn at home in the first round against Batley but P O Road wasn't fit. The tie was played mid-week at Belle Vue to get it out of the way. The pitch may have been playable but the terraces were treacherous. I remember everyone having a quiet snigger when a copper went his length on them :ph34r:

In 1983 when Fev won the CC they didn't play at home at all. They were drawn at home in the first round against Batley but P O Road wasn't fit. The tie was played mid-week at Belle Vue to get it out of the way. The pitch may have been playable but the terraces were treacherous. I remember everyone having a quiet snigger when a copper went his length on them :ph34r:

That's been the case very often at Odsal, though in the match in question, IIRC it was mud, not ice, which was causing the problem. 'Twas a long time ago, - though don't tell the commentary team on Radio Leeds, they still talk about the Odsal mud and it hasn't been muddy for nearly 40 years. :rolleyes:

One Lancashire League ground that still exists (although the club doesn't) is Belle Vue Stadium in Manchester where Belle Vue Rangers played until 1953. Another one may be Stanley Greyhound Stadium in Liverpool where Liverpool Stanley played until they became Liverpool City. Stanley Park still exists but I'm not sure about the dog track. And yes, I visited both of them.

Some nice pictures of the last match at Fartown, 20 years ago this year. Time flies.

Fartown

Huddersfield have had four proper home grounds.

Rifle Field 1866-1878

Fartown 1878-1992

Leeds Road 1992-1994

The Galpharm 1994 to present

Obviously, "home" matches have been elsewhere as well. The Shay last season for example.

Rifle Field was roughly where the Spring Wood car park now is on the other side of the ringroad to the bus centre.

One Lancashire League ground that still exists (although the club doesn't) is Belle Vue Stadium in Manchester where Belle Vue Rangers played until 1953.

I don't think they are one and the same JBS I'm afraid. The Rangers played at the Speedway Stadium which ended up being demolished for the Car Auction site. The greyhound stadium is different. Not been clever here as I dropped by the Greyhound stadium but could not reconcile it as a once international RL venue that had a 34,000 crowd for GB.v.Australia, so a bit more careful research and there we go........

One Lancashire League ground that still exists (although the club doesn't) is Belle Vue Stadium in Manchester where Belle Vue Rangers played until 1953.

De-lurking to correct this. Belle Vue Rangers played at the Speedway stadium, not the dog track. The Hyde Road Stadium had a capacity of c. 40,000, and at least one RL Test was held there. It was closed and demolished in 1987, and the Belle Vue Aces speedway team moved into the adjacent, but much smaller, greyhound stadium. They now have plans for a purpose built speedway stadium again.

I've been to the previous ground of St Albans Centurions

Huddersfield have had four proper home grounds.

Rifle Field 1866-1878

Fartown 1878-1992

Leeds Road 1992-1994

The Galpharm 1994 to present

Due to the Sheffield/Huddersfield merger, you could technically include the Owlerton and Don Valley stadiums.

Knowsley United Stand

A picture of Huytons Ground after Knowsley FC took over

(taken by groundhopper27)

Yorks Wiggington Rd

York RLFC Wigginton Road

Wigan

Wigan RLFC Central Park Douglas Stand

Hilton Park

Leigh RLFC Hilton Park

The Boulevards 3d stand

Hull RLFC Boulevard Threepenny Stand

Tattersfield

Doncaster RLFC Tattersfield Stand

Fartown is not defunct, Huddersfield St Joes play their home games there.

Hunslet's first ground was at Woodhouse Hill near the Cemetery Tavern (now Parnaby Tavern). They played there after their formation in 1883 until 1888 and only purchased the land on which they built the Parkside ground on after the then landlord of the Tavern and owner of the Woodhouse Hill site threatened to increase their rent.

That's been the case very often at Odsal, though in the match in question, IIRC it was mud, not ice, which was causing the problem. 'Twas a long time ago, - though don't tell the commentary team on Radio Leeds, they still talk about the Odsal mud and it hasn't been muddy for nearly 40 years. :rolleyes:

Them wuz the days. Grass wor for poofs.

Mind you, Johnny Wolford often walked off, as man of the match, with a cleanish shirt. He rarely took or made a tackle unless it was absolutely necessary.

;):D