Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Book Thread

162 posts in this topic

Just finished Andrey Kurkov's latest 'The Milkman in the Night'. Strange, very strange, and hard to describe without spoilers. It'll take at least one re-read to get the best out of it, as there are quite a lot of interconnected characters.

While my favourite Kurkov book is still 'Death and the Penguin', this is very very good, and I'd recommend it. It is a denser read but not a difficult one, once you get into the swing of it.

Hopefully I'll finish it in time to read The Siege of Krishnapur more or less in one on the way back.

Marvellous book. Loved it.

Just started The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell. Very impressed with what I've read so far, but also very depressing as nothing much seems to have changed in the intervening 100 years since the book was written. :(

I've pretty much given up reading and turned to audio books. Almost finished the new Lee Child Never Go Back. As I spend so much time into car it's a really convenient way to pass the time.

I've pretty much given up reading and turned to audio books. Almost finished the new Lee Child Never Go Back. As I spend so much time into car it's a really convenient way to pass the time.

I've tried audiobooks a few times over the years, but they just don't do it for me, for some reason.

I've tried audiobooks a few times over the years, but they just don't do it for me, for some reason.

I can't get the hang of them.  I think it's because if I lose concentration momentarily while reading I can just scan my eyes back a paragraph, it's far more annoying to scan back an audio book.  There's also the point that I enjoy silence while reading, I'll often stick in my active noise cancelling headphones with nothing playing through them.  It's why I enjoy reading when the wife's out, no sound in the house to the point I can hear the clock upstairs ticking away.

Just finishing "Welcome to Everytown - A Journey into the English Mind"  in which philosopher author Julian Baggini  spends 6 months in the country's most typical area, which turns out to be the area covered by postcode S66, which had a93% match with the national data set. Very interesting, very readable and very honest book, despite Baggini  being a true Guardianista

Currently reading  a free Amazon download on the Kindle - 'The Adventures and Vagaries of Twm Shôn Catti'. Good fun stuff it is too.

I recently discovered books by Raymond E Feist, I am on the final book of the Riftwar Saga which I have really enjoyed. Makes a nice change after ploughing through the Game of Thrones saga which really was well past it's prime by about book 3.

I recently discovered books by Raymond E Feist, I am on the final book of the Riftwar Saga which I have really enjoyed. Makes a nice change after ploughing through the Game of Thrones saga which really was well past it's prime by about book 3.

You have a pleasant surprise coming then as the series following the Riftwar one, the serpent war saga is probably his best work. He sold out after that and went to far shorter books at the same price with lower quality. The Empire series he co-wrote with Janny Wurts are also excellent.

I first found Feist when he released his first book when I was 14. I've re-read Magician many times over the years.

The George RR Martin books started well but it was clear that he'd lost his plot notes by the 3rd. Also, one book every 5-7 years isn't that promising from an old, fat writer with health problems.

If you like challenging reads in that genre then Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series are well worth a read. As is the Wheel of Time series done by Robert Jordan and finished by Brandon Sanderson after his death.

The Thomas Covenant chronicles by Stephen R Donaldson are darker reads with the name character being a morally bankrupt leper.

You have a pleasant surprise coming then as the series following the Riftwar one, the serpent war saga is probably his best work. He sold out after that and went to far shorter books at the same price with lower quality. The Empire series he co-wrote with Janny Wurts are also excellent.

I first found Feist when he released his first book when I was 14. I've re-read Magician many times over the years.

The George RR Martin books started well but it was clear that he'd lost his plot notes by the 3rd. Also, one book every 5-7 years isn't that promising from an old, fat writer with health problems.

If you like challenging reads in that genre then Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series are well worth a read. As is the Wheel of Time series done by Robert Jordan and finished by Brandon Sanderson after his death.

The Thomas Covenant chronicles by Stephen R Donaldson are darker reads with the name character being a morally bankrupt leper.

Thanks, will look into those.

David Gemmell was a favourite of mine but sadly he died writing the Troy triology (his wife finished the final book from his notes). He wrote some fantastic books, nothing too heavy going but some interesting ideas and plots. If you haven't read any of his stuff have a look on Amazon as you can pick up his old books second hand very cheaply.

I've got the serpent war triology waiting on my newly purchased kindle. I decided to give Kindle a go as my good lady raves about her one so much.

I've been reading an unfinished book. I'm not sure of the title but its a cracking read. It's about RL, prison, love and betrayal.

It needs a bit of work, but very engaging.