Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1976PMJwires

A weekend in York

59 posts in this topic

That'll be about the same time the excellent Track Records closed down. A sad loss for those of us who always headed there when visiting the city.

Track Records was a great shop spent many a happy hour in there.

Track Records was a great shop spent many a happy hour in there.

I just found out that the second-hand record shop near where I used to work has closed. :( It was a big one, too - one shop for vinyl and one for CDs, a few doors apart on the same street.

I just found out that the second-hand record shop near where I used to work has closed. :( It was a big one, too - one shop for vinyl and one for CDs, a few doors apart on the same street.

Were quite lucky in Hull there are at least 6 secondhand vinyl shops.

Was that the one on Gillygate?

We were in York for a couple of nights a few weeks ago - our first time - and the highlight was experiencing the Minster through an attendance at Evensong which, to my surprise, was scheduled for mid-afternoon... Not knowing this part of the world at all, I think we were a little disappointed - especially after just having visited Durham which we thought was a more handsome and vibrant place that afforded beautiful views from myriad vantage points.

Durham seemed to rise dramatically from its surrounding landscape whilst belonging perfectly to it, whereas York seemed just a little flat...

For me, both have their star attractions. Also, I have been to the top of both which offer splendid views. Lincoln and Ely Cathedrals are well worth a visit also. I have certainly done the rounds visiting many cathedrals.

Planning a little christmas shopping trip to York myself, not that its far for us to go mind. Anyway if you like your food make sure you go to J Bakers it's fab.

Although is it me or does York seem to be expensive for hotels? I can usually pick up a bargain when we do city breaks on the various websites (triage, last minute etc etc) but for a nice hotel in York it still seems quite hefty?

Although is it me or does York seem to be expensive for hotels? I can usually pick up a bargain when we do city breaks on the various websites (triage, last minute etc etc) but for a nice hotel in York it still seems quite hefty?

I'm afraid sections of the York hospitality sector have delusions of grandeur.

You're right about J Bakers though.

Was that the one on Gillygate?

Nope - this one was in London, near the Barbican Centre.