Sign in to follow this  
Donny Saint

Stobart sponsorship deal & truck spotting

My point was that £60k is hardly a massive amount, it's not as if we've turned down mega-bucks to go with some daft lorry-painting idea. The Stobart deal isn't perfect, but with work to sell the other sponsorship oppurtunities that would have been excluded by taking the Betfair deal should bring in more in terms of total cash and other benfits. There's a new amrketing guy just in place at the RFL, it's up to him to deliver now.

In theory that is fine but is you were offered a job with a guaranteed salary as opposed to a job were you got no pay but the opportunity to work elsewhere also. Which would you choose if you had bills,a mortgage and a wife and kids to feed?

In theory that is fine but is you were offered a job with a guaranteed salary as opposed to a job were you got no pay but the opportunity to work elsewhere also. Which would you choose if you had bills,a mortgage and a wife and kids to feed?

That's not a fair comparison. The club's "guaranteed salary" is the telly money from Sky, £60k is pocket money in comparison.

The issue is that none of us here have a clue about the actual contracts signed. When sponsorship deals are announced, they are always announced as 'worth/valued at £1m' and not actually what the cash payment is.

When people quote £1.2m from engage, and then make further figures up of £200-300k for additional promotion, they are simply making them up as these figures are not in the public domain.

The Carnegie deal was announced as worth £XXm, and we know that this included providing resources.

People seem to have in their head that all sponsorships have always been about pure cash.

The starting point for future title sponsorships will start as:

Title Rights - £x00,000 - based on the Stobart value of the promotion

Pitch Sponsorship - £x00,000 - based on its actual worth

Post/Flag sponsorship - £x00,000 - based on its actual worth

Ball Sponsorship - £x00,000 - based on its actual worth

Sleeve Sponsorship - £x00,000 - based on its actual worth

Ref Sponsorship - £x00,000 - based on its actual worth

Engage previously bought this as a package in the past, it now appears that the RFL are splitting this up.

My only disappointment is that we are now five weeks into the season and it would be good if we could have had these sponsorship spaces filled, as it does look quite bare at the moment.

This figures are not made up they are correct the portfolio has gone down from £ 2.4 million CASH to less than half of that and with the CC sponsorship soon up for grabs it will fall by at least another 80/90% (See above)

I'm a bit confused why you quote these three companies.

Engage, Carnegie and Gillette.

What about other sponsors? What is the overall value?

Why no mention of emirates, Irn Bru, William Hill etc?

It is widely reported that the engage deal was worth £1.2m. If they are adding in £300k worth of advertising, why isn't the deal reported as £1.5m? It seems extremely strange that a sponsorship value would be under-reported.

Saw a Hull KR outside of Milton Keynes and Warrington outside Derby. Got a Rugby conversation going in the car with someone from Warick who loves the games. I didn't know this until we saw the lorry.

Bradford Stobart truck spotted in Forest Hill, South East London. Was looking really good, would have been better and more relevant if it was a London truck though! :0)

FWIW I think i'm seeing 3 or 4 a week now doing my 1hr 30 a day on NW motorways. stuck in queue with Mr. Crabtree to stare at this morning.

Just spent the last three days working at Coca-Cola Enterprise Ltd in Wakefield and at any one time there must be 200 Stobart trailers in the complex and not one with Super League on display :blink:

Just spent the last three days working at Coca-Cola Enterprise Ltd in Wakefield and at any one time there must be 200 Stobart trailers in the complex and not one with Super League on display :blink:

Good, that mean's they're on the road!

After a few weeks I cant say its been a great success so far. I suspect many people wont even know its Rugby League and what it means,especially when driving at speed. It remains to be seen what other sponsorship partners can be found and how much money can be found from that. The problem is the alternative main sponsor wasnt exactly outstanding neither. Rugby League and Super League simply for most people dont mean anything and as such its very difficult to find sponsors willing to put loads of money in. So the game sadly cant pick and choose like it can in Australia for example. I still think the RFL have dressed it up a bit and will no doubt do a few press announcements saying how great things are which is OK but I certainly wont be believing the spin.

After a few weeks I cant say its been a great success so far.

Don't you live in Germany? :laugh::rolleyes:

You missed out your reference to fat Nigel Wood, although all of the usual RFL stuff was in there. By what measure has it not been a success (I won't accept 'I know a bloke in Halifax who drives 5000 miles a week and has never seen one')?

Friday night audiences for Super League are at record levels, crowds are up. Well done Nigel and co.

Don't you live in Germany? :laugh::rolleyes:

You missed out your reference to fat Nigel Wood, although all of the usual RFL stuff was in there. By what measure has it not been a success (I won't accept 'I know a bloke in Halifax who drives 5000 miles a week and has never seen one')?

Friday night audiences for Super League are at record levels, crowds are up. Well done Nigel and co.

I dont live in the UK but I was listening to Radio Leeds last week and ther presenter JD and his guest Andrew Henderson both said they hadnt seen a SL Wagon and they claimed to have done many miles on the Motorways in Yorkshire. Others also have made such statements and others have said its more like a Sky TV advertizement than about Super League or Rugby League. And we will recognize the trailers as we are looking out for them. But will Joe Smith really notice and say oh look Rugby League I will go to a game? I bet most people who see them dont even recognize the players and probably think Union. It would help if the name Rugby League was in big letters and no doubt some are wondering whats Super League? Also it would be interesting to see if clubs have actually benefitted from the wagons as that was surely what they had hoped for. No point accepting a deal if you are not getting any real benefit out of it. A few extra people watching on sky doesnt help the clubs that much.

Crowds will be up as Widnes have come in and Salford and St.Helens have finally got rid of their awful former homes that did not belong in SL. I dont like Nigel Wood for many reasons from the Halifax mess he helped create to the fiasco at the Crusaders. However SL has grown crowd wise and for that him and the RFL do deserve some credit. The problem is SL didnt really have much choice regarding sponsorship. And despite all the spin about crowds rising etc it still struggles to get sponsorship and seen as a top competition outside its normal fanbase. Its a shame that big name sponsors dont see any benefits in sponsoring the best Rugby Competition in Europe despite all the Sky exposure etc.

Saw Huddersfield (Eorl Crabtree) about 9:30pm Monday night coming off the M61 and going East on the M62.

Saw Hull (Danny Tickle) 6:45am Tuesday going South on the M61.

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt

I spoke to my Stobart contact today and told him about large number of peope on here complaining about not seeing the livery vehicles.

He made a great point, are the people moaning in or around the M62 corridor??

I said yes, his reply was "we're spreading the word in areas outside the Super League clubs"

So do we need to see these vehicles , because if we're not, non super league areas will be seeing them.

Stobart on channel 5 is now the third most watched programme on the channel and the sky deal will be on it soon, they had problems when filming as the sky hd Logo wasn't allowed in the shot , something to do with advertising, the programme shows the convoy when travelling to old Trafford.

The trailers carrying the livery are on the chilled vehicles, Middleton (nr manchester) Corby and alcester are the main depots and most of the trunking happens at nights, so anything down south or up in Scotland will be seen on their return journeys early morning / mid afternoon.

Hope this keeps some of you happy, it certainly makes sense to mewink.gif

Edited by 1976PMJwires

I spoke to my Stobart contact today and told him about large number of peope on here complaining about not seeing the livery vehicles.

Tell him to send the Catalans, Hull KR, Cas, Wakey and the "captains" lorries to the M62/M60/M61 between Bradford and Westhoughton either between 6am-7am or 5pm-6pm. :angry: