Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Futtocks

Obituary Corner

1,524 posts in this topic

Sad to hear that. I always found his music a bit 'mixed' - some of it was almost nursery rhyme like - but his good stuff was great. The track "May I" on Shooting at the Moon is brilliant and I find the lyrics really appealing. "May I sit and stare at you for a while? I'd like the company of your smile." Exactly how I feel when near a beautiful girl: I want the company of her smile. Brilliant.

It's been a bad week for Roobarb & Custard - Radio 5 have just announced the death of animator Bob Godfrey.

It's been a bad week for Roobarb & Custard - Radio 5 have just announced the death of animator Bob Godfrey.

Time to dig out the Henry's cat videos as a fitting memorial.

I am very upset about this, I only watched the first programme in Ever Decreasing Circles this week, and thought how brilliant he was, Roobarb & Custard was the only programme my brother & I watched together, apart from the Clangers.

Old thieving thug dies

Not forgetting his other life as a drug dealer........................

Not forgetting his other life as a drug dealer........................

aye

Bruce Reynolds, one of the Great Train Robbery gang.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21617926

After his national service in the Army, he returned to a life of crime and served four jail terms, mainly for breaking into shops.

But I thought National Service sorted all that kind of thing out ?

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt

But I though National Service sorted all that kind of thing out ?

Giving violent criminals military training.

What could possibly go wrong?

Giving violent criminals military training.

What could possibly go wrong?

Aye. A great idea to make them fit and give them an experience of discipline and working as a team. Weapons training would also be inspirational............

I'm sure more than one criminal of that era got their weapons and explosives experience from their time doing national service.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1171773/Police-killer-Harry-Robertss-year-terror-campaign-silence-woman-kept-bars.html

this one certainly did.

he was th subject of a football chant at the tim: "harry roberts is our friend, he kills copper"

sorry it's from the Mail

I'm sure more than one criminal of that era got their weapons and explosives experience from their time doing national service.

I'm sure plenty of crooks have learnt how to steal millions via computers, does this mean computers are wrong?

Some people will abuse any opportunity that comes their way, it's just the way some people are. It doesn't mean that many people weren't put on the straight & narrow by national service. (not that I agree with it anyway)

Edit: just to add that I can't be doing with canonising of criminals either.

Edited by Johnoco

Most people would agree. Apart from the media, when the criminal is a chirpy cockernee character wot never 'urt no-one apart from those people wot 'e 'urt, guv.

I'm sure plenty of crooks have learnt how to steal millions via computers, does this mean computers are wrong?

Some people will abuse any opportunity that comes their way, it's just the way some people are. It doesn't mean that many people weren't put on the straight & narrow by national service. (not that I agree with it anyway)

the difference being that sole aim of military weapons and military 'discipline' is that of killing people

but your point is a fair one.

the real issue here IMHO refers to the myt that national service made a better person out o smeone

Most people would agree. Apart from the media, when the criminal is a chirpy cockernee character wot never 'urt no-one apart from those people wot 'e 'urt, guv.

ver streets woz saf when reggie and ronnie woz abaht: nobody took no liberties

there's an interesting(ish) section in Keith Richards' autobiography about what one of the Krays (I forget which) got up to with young boys in Morocco.

the difference being that sole aim of military weapons and military 'discipline' is that of killing people

but your point is a fair one.

the real issue here IMHO refers to the myt that national service made a better person out o smeone

How is it a myth just because one or two people were crooks before and after NS? Many people were given the opportunities to achieve good things in their life because of NS. You can't just dismiss it because of a minority of crooks.

Some people grow up but instead of getting jobs, they burgle houses/become drug dealers/work in the city, does this mean that school and everything is a waste of time because of them? does it make it a myth that working hard at school can help you get on in life?

How is it a myth just because one or two people were crooks before and after NS? Many people were given the opportunities to achieve good things in their life because of NS. You can't just dismiss it because of a minority of crooks.

Some people grow up but instead of getting jobs, they burgle houses/become drug dealers/work in the city, does this mean that school and everything is a waste of time because of them? does it make it a myth that working hard at school can help you get on in life?

it's as myth because of the res of the people that did it. They went straight back to theirnormal lives, apart from the ones who were killed and maimed in Korea, malaya and Suez.

But fair enough, I'm sure it did some people good

For those of a 'certain age' who can remember black and white telly, Dale Robertson

tales_of_wells_fargo.jpg

Jim Hardie, special agent for Wells Fargo.