Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Futtocks

Obituary Corner

1,524 posts in this topic

Bloody hell. Its never ending is the bad news. :(

To be fair, click here and it's not going to be good news.

:D I shouldn't laugh but that tickled me.

I know...but you know what I mean. As Futtocks says, so many people that were part of childhood and youth dropping like flies. I suppose it reminds you we will all go in the end. (well, except me that is)

legend Mick McManus, I spent many a Saturday afternoon watching him on the TV. 

is jim breaks still alive?

legend Mick McManus, I spent many a Saturday afternoon watching him on the TV. 

You should have been watching the BBC's answer to wrestling - RL with Eddie Waring :biggrin:

Dad's Army's ARP warden Hodges Bill Pertwee

Who apart from Ian Lavender does that leave still alive?  I watch it regularly and I used to call it "he's dead" because the majority of the cast have been dead for years.

Who apart from Ian Lavender does that leave still alive?  I watch it regularly and I used to call it "he's dead" because the majority of the cast have been dead for years.

The Vicar is still alive, and doing the rounds around here. He lives locally and does charity talks regularly.

That's something else that could do with banning.

Motor Racing has to be one of the most pointless things ever invented, and for it to lead to as many deaths as it does, makes it even more tragic.

RIP.

Motor racing in general very high safety standards these days, a huge reduction in injuries and barely any fatalities. The TT is a throwback and an exception, which is why the factory teams do not bother with it and no rider is compelled to take part. Edited by Futtocks

Motor racing in general very high safety standards these days, a huge reduction in injuries and barely any fatalities. The TT is a throwback and an exception, which is why the factory teams do not bother with it and no rider is compelled to take part.

+1. It's a unique event, and one that no-one is obliged to enter. Most, if not all of the riders love it and the unique challenges it brings up. People sadly die on a daily basis doing many things that could be viewed as "dangerous", should all of them be banned? Safety on the IOM is constantly being reviewed, and as long as that is done, then it is up to those who choose to compete as to whether racing is a risk that they are prepared to take.

RIP Yoshinari

Steve Martland, 53, contemporary composer of works like "Babi Yar." and a critic of the British class system, privilege and patronage. Died in his sleep.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/steve-martland-composer-hailed-for-his-hardedged-minimalism-8609953.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/10046559/Steve-Martland.html

I just finished The Throwback at the weekend for what must be at least the 10th time I've read it.  I know no other author who can make me end up in pain because of too much laughing, the scene in the Throwback with the Colonel and his dog and the two old spinsters with their "custard" machine is by far the best bit of written comedy I've ever read.

His books on South African apartheid were very biting but also very good comedy in the spirit of Blazing Saddles laughing AT racists rather than joining in with them.

RIP

I just finished The Throwback at the weekend for what must be at least the 10th time I've read it.  I know no other author who can make me end up in pain because of too much laughing, the scene in the Throwback with the Colonel and his dog and the two old spinsters with their "custard" machine is by far the best bit of written comedy I've ever read.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I think I'll have to read it again, and I'm now just thinking about cheese graters...

The first time I read that it must have taken be a quarter of an hour to get through a single page; I could only manage one sentence at a time before being reduced to a wreck with uncontrollable laughter. 

A sad loss indeed,

I've read most of Tom Sharpe's books over the years, and have learned only to do it in private, due to the uncontrollable laughter that ensues.