Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Futtocks

Obituary Corner

1,524 posts in this topic

From what I saw of her act, it consisted of little else but putting other more famous people down. The put-downs were delivered with minimal apparent affection or sympathy for her targets.   I couldn't do with it or her.

Hopefully, that was just her showbiz persona, and a nicer person lay underneath.

and generally speaking they thoroughly deserved it

Rivers wasn't averse to lampooning herself either.

Shame that many people will remember Rivers for her comments about Gaza prior to her death and not her long and successful career. RIP

He doesn't look that well either.

and generally speaking they thoroughly deserved it

Rivers wasn't averse to lampooning herself either.

Absolutely.

RIP.

brilliant in the cruel sea

There was a bit on the World Service when he died, a clip about how he couldn't swim at the time and when he "swam" in the film, he was actually lying on top of a stuntman, who was doing the actual swimming. CGI gets rid of a lot of risk...

I have had phone contracts from Phones4U for several years. I'm not technically savvy and the lads in the city centre store have always sorted everything out for  me ... transferring numbers, music photos etc. They couldn't have been more helpful and I hope everything works out okay for them.

David Gronow.

Came as a shock to me, apparently he died last month at the cricket.

For those that don't know, he was the Huddersfield Giants historian, as well as a bit of an all round local historian and sports buff too.

I was at school with a David Gronow, and his surname did not seem unusual. I found out years later, from an article in a local history mag, that  his father came to the valley as a lone Polish refugee child.

I have had phone contracts from Phones4U for several years. I'm not technically savvy and the lads in the city centre store have always sorted everything out for me ... transferring numbers, music photos etc. They couldn't have been more helpful and I hope everything works out okay for them.

Over 600 staff at head office, including my wife made redundant today. Been told to claim notice and redundancy via the government.

This is a company whos private equity owners borrowed massively to buy the company at over 9%, dumped the loans on the company and took a £225m dividend last year.

Over 600 staff at head office, including my wife made redundant today. Been told to claim notice and redundancy via the government.

This is a company whos private equity owners borrowed massively to buy the company at over 9%, dumped the loans on the company and took a £225m dividend last year.

And, when the value of the remains of the company have been reduced enough, the likes of EE and Vodafone will swoop to purchase the wreckage they created at a bargain price. Lovely, isn't it? 

Best of luck to your wife. The company I worked for for more than half of my life had the foundations ripped out from under it the same way. Those that did the damage are now profiting from it.

Edited by Futtocks

Well good luck to you and your wife.

It's rampant, unregulated capitalism at its worse I'm afraid.

And, when the value of the remains of the company have been reduced enough, the likes of EE and Vodafone will swoop to purchase the wreckage they created at a bargain price. Lovely, isn't it?

Best of luck to your wife. The company I worked for for more than half of my life had the foundations ripped out from under it the same way. Those that did the damage are now profiting from it.

EE in the running to buy about 80 stores, Vodafone buying 140. Carphone taking on the outlets in currys branches

Well good luck to you and your wife.

It's rampant, unregulated capitalism at its worse I'm afraid.

To be honest I dont blame EE or Vodafone. I blame the private equity vultures who saddled the company with so much debt there was no wiggle room in the contracts with the networks.

To be honest I dont blame EE or Vodafone. I blame the private equity vultures who saddled the company with so much debt there was no wiggle room in the contracts with the networks.

Unregulated capitalism, and the carcass being picked over by corporation tax dodging Vodafone.

It's completely immoral to take those dividends and to leave the employees with the derisory statutory redundancy which is capped at ###### all.

Edited by Larry the Leit

Hiccup's father; Stoic.

I realise that I may be late with this, but it was very moving nonetheless. He always put his people first.

David Gronow.

Came as a shock to me, apparently he died last month at the cricket.

For those that don't know, he was the Huddersfield Giants historian, as well as a bit of an all round local historian and sports buff too.

I was at school with a David Gronow, and his surname did not seem unusual. I found out years later, from an article in a local history mag, that  his father came to the valley as a lone Polish refugee child.

David Gronow was greatly involved in the RL heritage project and in local cricket.

http://www.huddersfieldrlheritage.co.uk/

David's grandfather, Ben Gronow, played RU for Bridgend and Wales and RL for Huddersfield & others and also for Wales/GB RL.He played in the first England vs Wales match at Twickengham. He was in the legendary Hudds Team of all the Talents. He coached in Australia and he also coached Morley RU. 

http://rugby-pioneers.blogs.com/rugby/2010/02/a-tribute-to-ben-gronow-welsh-rugby-pioneer.html

David Gronow was greatly involved in the RL heritage project and in local cricket.

http://www.huddersfieldrlheritage.co.uk/

David's grandfather, Ben Gronow, played RU for Bridgend and Wales and RL for Huddersfield & others and also for Wales/GB RL.He played in the first England vs Wales match at Twickengham. He was in the legendary Hudds Team of all the Talents. He coached in Australia and he also coached Morley RU. 

http://rugby-pioneers.blogs.com/rugby/2010/02/a-tribute-to-ben-gronow-welsh-rugby-pioneer.html

Ben Gronow kicked off to start the first ever match at Twickenham Stadium.

Ben Gronow kicked off to start the first ever match at Twickenham Stadium.

Aye.

Another point of interest is the number different positions he played in.

Pretty impressive.

Edited by longboard

The last of the Mitford sisters. Turned out relatively normal compared to her more notorious sisters, possibly because she was too young to be hunted with bloodhounds by her father. You think I'm making that last bit up, don't you?

The last of the Mitford sisters. Turned out relatively normal compared to her more notorious sisters, possibly because she was too young to be hunted with bloodhounds by her father. You think I'm making that last bit up, don't you?

I didn't realise the duchess of Devonshire was a Mitford. And yes, I do believe the last bit. Interesting, if bonkers, family.

I didn't realise the duchess of Devonshire was a Mitford. And yes, I do believe the last bit. Interesting, if bonkers, family.

Very smart woman - created a real and lasting legacy at Chatsworth. Two of her sisters shared a room - they drew a chalk line and had half each. One had hammer and sickle flags and pictures of Lenin, the other pictures of Hitler.