Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

audois

Community Shield KO Competition

51 posts in this topic

For Summer Conference sides and northern regional sides. When's that taking place?

I see the inaugural NCL Challenge Cup reachs its quarter final stage this coming weekend. Looks like some decent ties in prospect with teams from Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire involved.

There's no summer conference.

But it's underway already they've had first round. Think last 16 is soon.

Wasn't there a RLC Challenge cup for a couple of years?

Yeah pre season. Think it had some kind of group stage then knockout

Community Challenge Shield: Last 16 draw

Saturday 28 July

Kells v Jarrow Vikings

West Hull Lions v Leigh East

Walton Warriors v Bank Quay Bull

Skirlaugh v Ince Rose Bridge

Fryston Warriors v Leicester Storm

Bamber Bridge v Distington

Hammersmith Hills Hoists and Elmbridge Eagles already through, their last game was back in May.

Quarter finals are in September.

Not sure what the point of this comp is, other than to launch a rival to the BARLA Cup.

Community Challenge Shield: Last 16 draw

Saturday 28 July

Kells v Jarrow Vikings

West Hull Lions v Leigh East

Walton Warriors v Bank Quay Bull

Skirlaugh v Ince Rose Bridge

Fryston Warriors v Leicester Storm

Bamber Bridge v Distington

Hammersmith Hills Hoists and Elmbridge Eagles already through, their last game was back in May.

Quarter finals are in September.

Not sure what the point of this comp is, other than to launch a rival to the BARLA Cup.

It's a good idea but I'd like to eventually see it entirely replace the Harry Jepson Trophy as that no longer has the same purpose, unless you want it to double up as Challenge Cup qualifying.

It's a good idea but I'd like to eventually see it entirely replace the Harry Jepson Trophy as that no longer has the same purpose, unless you want it to double up as Challenge Cup qualifying.

Challenge cup is by invite for amateur clubs

Challenge cup is by invite for amateur clubs

Yes but invite based on winning various competitions eg the HJ Trophy winner has been invited for about 10 years.

Yes but invite based on winning various competitions eg the HJ Trophy winner has been invited for about 10 years.

thats not quite true though is it?

if it were you would be able to tell me what the 3 armed forces teams, the british police, 6 student teams (loughborough, edgehill, northumbria, leeds met, uni of gloucester, hull), 4 RLC teams, and the entire NCL (barring the premier division winners) have won? nothing, they were invited. you could technically add to that list 1 cumberland arl nomination, 1 north west league representative and 1 welsh representative!

thats not quite true though is it?

if it were you would be able to tell me what the 3 armed forces teams, the british police, 6 student teams (loughborough, edgehill, northumbria, leeds met, uni of gloucester, hull), 4 RLC teams, and the entire NCL (barring the premier division winners) have won? nothing, they were invited. you could technically add to that list 1 cumberland arl nomination, 1 north west league representative and 1 welsh representative!

Some clubs are invited by status and some by what league/cup they won. Personally I think they should have more clubs from say the Pennine League like they used to.

Some clubs are invited by status and some by what league/cup they won. Personally I think they should have more clubs from say the Pennine League like they used to.

We won and the team we beat got the invite :wacko:

They were not invited last year

They were not invited last year

Yes because both finalists folded. It's not an exact science but a lot of titles comes with a Challenge Cup invite

Somerset were meant to play Elmbridge and Hammersmith Eastern Rhinos. Any idea if these were cancelled?

Fryston W/O Leicester :(

We've just had half a dozen players return from Kavos and they said a load of Fryston lads stayed in the same hotel, apparently there is also a bunch of their players in Blackpool this weekend.

Alot of Distington players are miffed apparently they agreed with the RFL to play this saturday which never got passed onto Bamber Bridge who expected Distington last saturday and the RFL have now awarded the tie to Bamber Bridge even though it seems that the club are blameless and the fault lies with the RFL!! This should have been a good competition if the likes of Bank Quay, Pilkington Recs were in there with the likes of Kells, Distington and Fryston

Bank Quay had 2 sides in but Pilkington Recs switched too late to summer. Hope they run it better next year.

Quarter finals

Leigh East A Vs Walton Warriors

Skirlaugh Bulls Vs Fryston Warriors

Bamber Bridge Vs Kells

Elmbridge Eagles Vs Hammersmith Hillshoists

Bank Quay had 2 sides in but Pilkington Recs switched too late to summer. Hope they run it better next year.

Quarter finals

Leigh East A Vs Walton Warriors

Skirlaugh Bulls Vs Fryston Warriors

Bamber Bridge Vs Kells

Elmbridge Eagles Vs Hammersmith Hillshoists

Did Coventry & other NCL 3 sides not participate in the KO Cups this year?

Did Coventry & other NCL 3 sides not participate in the KO Cups this year?

No, they weren't invited into the NCL Cup and weren't eligible for the Tier 4 cup. In reality they are probably closer in standard to the top Tier 4 sides from the regional leagues than the tier 4 southern sides are..

No, they weren't invited into the NCL Cup and weren't eligible for the Tier 4 cup. In reality they are probably closer in standard to the top Tier 4 sides from the regional leagues than the tier 4 southern sides are..

Yeah though they're also a similar standard to at least division 2 of the NCL with the top 3 or 4 division 1 comparable (looking at Dewsbury Celtic as the guide). Hopefully next year they'll have a less anomalous format. If that means more northern teams in the Community Shield then so be it.

Yeah though they're also a similar standard to at least division 2 of the NCL with the top 3 or 4 division 1 comparable (looking at Dewsbury Celtic as the guide). Hopefully next year they'll have a less anomalous format. If that means more northern teams in the Community Shield then so be it.

I was rather looking forward to seeing how the likes of Coventry and Hemel would have gone up against against some of the stronger established northern clubs in the CS. Now you both may well by-pass it if both your CC1 aspirations are realised. In 2013 may well see Bristol and St Albans give it a go?

This transitional season a bit chaotic for the community game but it was I think expected especially for the south & midlands with four clubs bidding for semi-pro basis straight away and leaving other newly arrived NCL 3 a bit in limbo. But may be thats unavoidable as clubs develop at different speeds. The old RLSC structure needs re-assessing and a fresh focus for 2013?

I was rather looking forward to seeing how the likes of Coventry and Hemel would have gone up against against some of the stronger established northern clubs in the CS. Now you both may well by-pass it if both your CC1 aspirations are realised. In 2013 may well see Bristol and St Albans give it a go?

This transitional season a bit chaotic for the community game but it was I think expected especially for the south & midlands with four clubs bidding for semi-pro basis straight away and leaving other newly arrived NCL 3 a bit in limbo. But may be thats unavoidable as clubs develop at different speeds. The old RLSC structure needs re-assessing and a fresh focus for 2013?

The CS was never intended to have NCL3 clubs in, the latter should have played Conference Challenge Cup. As for Bristol and St Albans depends on league structure what cup they'll be in.

If Coventry and when Nottingham enter the NCL next year (or any other expansion clubs if any get in) they'll play in the cup there. If there's a Conference South (very unlikely given the lack of interest in London) then the clubs in it wouldn't play CS. The Midlands and South premiers have failed but this format of 2 tiny leagues is perhaps the least awful option. Bristol and St Albans may well be forced back into it giving 6 teams each unless they can be accomodated at tier 3 level? Will South Wales Hornets even be accomodated anywhere?

With 18 clubs applying for the NCL who knows there may well survive a NCL 4 based on this year's NCL3 but seems unlikely on the face of it that clubs from the North West would prefer it to their own tier 4 league.

As for 4 teams bidding for Championship 1 I think it's more a case of the RFL dreaming up a number to suit the Championship and then trying to make things fit to salvage Championship 1 rather than the other way round. Hemel are ready. Coventry I don't know. All Golds and Rebels are no better than the 1980s failed attempts IMO. If there was a smoother transition between Championship 1 and the NCL then would be much easier.