Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1976PMJwires

5K run on a treadmill

827 posts in this topic

Played badminton last night, pretty sure I could feel the extra bits of bone grinding in my elbow. Bit sore this morning.

I am very glad that my operation is only just over a week and half away so I can get this sorted as I was looking forward to summer badminton as the top match playing members come to club night as the league has finished and playing against those guys is great experience.

Currently sat having a break in leek.20 miles to get here.roughly 12 home.mostly.downhill aside from one bank that hits 11%. May walk up.that...

park run yesterday  . last five runs same time within 2 /3 seconds hopefully going to shave 10/20 seconds off soon .

10K completed in warm conditions in 50.57 - not near a PB but after a week of being ill I was reasonably happy with that.

Currently sat having a break in leek....

Infinitely preferable to being sat having a leak in your breeks I would guess!!!!  :laugh:

(One for the Scots there!!)

Nothing for me until 16th, can't believe no exercise for such long period....good luck you guys on a mission

Edited by 1976PMJwires

Nothing for me until 16th, can't believe no exercise for such long period....good luck you guys on a mission

It kills me when my bikes off the road and I can't go out.

Been doing a fair bit of running/jogging in recent months, managed to knock my weight from 21st to 17st 4 in just over 6 months by doing so.

The frustrating bit was I broke my 4th Metatarsal / Cuboid bone in February, and although its almost 100% healed, I had a fitness test at work (for promotion purposes) just under a fortnight ago and managed to aggravate the injury so much, that I've not been able to put any serious pressure on it since, and as such, haven't done any mileage over the last 10 days (including the last 7 nights at work). However, spending the week with my feet in work boots (Magnum Vipers :)), has helped ease the pain a bit.

I'm going to go out this morning for a long walk, just to see how it feels, but it may be some time before I get the confidence to actually try any sort of run for further than a couple of hundred metres, as the pain seems to blow up a hell of a lot if I go any further.

I want to get down to about 15st 7 (which I haven't been in nearly 16 years), but I know that I need to keep the effort going to do this.

Been doing a fair bit of running/jogging in recent months, managed to knock my weight from 21st to 17st 4 in just over 6 months by doing so.

The frustrating bit was I broke my 4th Metatarsal / Cuboid bone in February, and although its almost 100% healed, I had a fitness test at work (for promotion purposes) just under a fortnight ago and managed to aggravate the injury so much, that I've not been able to put any serious pressure on it since, and as such, haven't done any mileage over the last 10 days (including the last 7 nights at work). However, spending the week with my feet in work boots (Magnum Vipers :)), has helped ease the pain a bit.

I'm going to go out this morning for a long walk, just to see how it feels, but it may be some time before I get the confidence to actually try any sort of run for further than a couple of hundred metres, as the pain seems to blow up a hell of a lot if I go any further.

I want to get down to about 15st 7 (which I haven't been in nearly 16 years), but I know that I need to keep the effort going to do this.

Running is very high impact and unless are completely healed may well just keep aggravating the injury. Do you have access to a gym where you could go on a rower, cross trainer or something that allows you to exercise without further impact damage? Alternatively do you have a bike?

Otherwise running on grass or soft surface may be better than running on pavements or roads.

Managed my first bike ride in almost a year on Saturday. Did 17km in 50 minutes, which I thought was ok.

Running is very high impact and unless are completely healed may well just keep aggravating the injury. Do you have access to a gym where you could go on a rower, cross trainer or something that allows you to exercise without further impact damage? Alternatively do you have a bike?

Otherwise running on grass or soft surface may be better than running on pavements or roads.

Been doing a lot of stuff in the gym at work, which aided the recovery on my foot, and a lot of my stuff I do is grass running (mainly round the local park and fields). I'm just waiting on parts for my bike, so thats coming back out soon..

Managed my first bike ride in almost a year on Saturday. Did 17km in 50 minutes, which I thought was ok.

I've just been out to the shed to put something away and the bike has a puncture. Again. And that's after treating it to a new tube on Saturday. ######. :(

Edited by Griff9of13

fill with slime - use farmers /country store if you can  to purchase loads cheaper than from Halfords etc , used it for years without a puncture .

Just done a slow couple of miles (mainly to get back into the swing of things), and my foot aches, but not as bad as it did. I've just not got to push too hard yet.

Nice cool weather this morning for another 14 miles under the belt. 100km up for the month to date.

Thanks to the last ten months hard work through cycling and overhauled diet, ive lost 65lb in weight, gone from XXL to large top size, 42in waist to 36in and around 6 inches off my chest.

Nice cool weather this morning for another 14 miles under the belt. 100km up for the month to date.

Thanks to the last ten months hard work through cycling and overhauled diet, ive lost 65lb in weight, gone from XXL to large top size, 42in waist to 36in and around 6 inches off my chest.

They're some impressive stats, well done. :)

Oh for the days of having a 36in waist again. :(

A mate of mine has been doing one of these army style fitness things for about a year now. He's managed to lose so much weight that when we were out at Langtree Park on Sunday afternoon for the Saints Past Players Association Dinner he wore the suit he got married in 23 years ago. :O

That is brilliant. I am currently XXL top and 40in waist. By my 40th next year I intend for the first time in my life to have a waist size less than my age.

Got a busy day lined up on Saturday

5K parkrun in the morning and 10K race in the afternoon, although i'm doing the 10K for fun and will be well down time wise.

The thread just gets better, some great results and all positives.

I'm itching to train but I have to wait another 10 days.... Keep posting peeps!!!

Respect to all the poster on their quest to become a healthier, strong and slimmer self.

September is beginning to seem like a good time.

Until then I'll keep plodding away doing my own thing and knocking the weight off, but hopefully in 3 months time I'll have that yearning to go out and exercise properly, one step at a time. And this thread is helping to feed that shoot of ambition.

I can't wait for the day I want to want to exercise.

(no typo)

Some cracking results on this thread since I last visited. I did the Manchester 10k for the first time this year and managed a time of 54:16. Did a couple of 6k training runs for it but whilst I enjoyed it running really isn't my thing. I think I'll stick to the cycling, less impact on my poor knees. 

I have the Great Manchester cycle in a few weeks, 52 miles on closed roads :D and then a sportive on the opening stage of the Tour. Need to get out on the bike more, stimpo-and-kat is putting me to shame.

Edited by Severus

I can't remember what my last contribution to this was – I think it was when I was doing the couch to 5k the first time. That fell by the wayside due to dark nights and rubbish weather. I kept up exercising, but just not running. As spring has started I’m back to where I was when I last stopped off, about halfway through which is 4km in about 30 minutes which includes warm up and cool down walks and running in intervals.

I’ve never liked running on the treadmill and I know it isn’t as hard, but on the rainy days I’ve been doing a bit of that recently and the other day I did 5k in about 33 minutes – only slowed down the pace for 30 seconds a couple of times – so I was really chuffed with that when I couldn’t run at all doing cross country as a kid. Still a long way to do it out on the roads, but it gave me a ton of confidence that it can be done.  

Edited by Amber Avenger

Some cracking results on this thread since I last visited. I did the Manchester 10k for the first time this year and managed a time of 54:16. Did a couple of 6k training runs for it but whilst I enjoyed it running really isn't my thing. I think I'll stick to the cycling, less impact on my poor knees.

I have the Great Manchester cycle in a few weeks, 52 miles on closed roads :D and then a sportive on the opening stage of the Tour. Need to get out on the bike more, stimpo-and-kat is putting me to shame.

Thought about doing the Manchester ride, wifes birthday weekend and its her 30th so think I'd be shot. Will do it next year though.