Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1976PMJwires

5K run on a treadmill

827 posts in this topic

I can't remember what my last contribution to this was – I think it was when I was doing the couch to 5k the first time. That fell by the wayside due to dark nights and rubbish weather. I kept up exercising, but just not running. As spring has started I’m back to where I was when I last stopped off, about halfway through which is 4km in about 30 minutes which includes warm up and cool down walks and running in intervals.

I’ve never liked running on the treadmill and I know it isn’t as hard, but on the rainy days I’ve been doing a bit of that recently and the other day I did 5k in about 33 minutes – only slowed down the pace for 30 seconds a couple of times – so I was really chuffed with that when I couldn’t run at all doing cross country as a kid. Still a long way to do it out on the roads, but it gave me a ton of confidence that it can be done.  

33 minutes on a flat parkrun would still beat quite a few people. Keep up the good work.

33 minutes on a flat parkrun would still beat quite a few people. Keep up the good work.

Thanks - swapped the treadmill for the road and did 4.6km in 32 mins today - including around 10 mins of warm up/cool down brisk walking so I'm getting there!

Edited by Amber Avenger

Thanks - swapped the treadmill for the road and did 4.6km in 32 mins today - including around 10 mins of warm up/cool down brisk walking so I'm getting there!

It's a great feeling out in the fresh air, good on you.

Hope your enjoying it, park runs are really good fun, especially those days when your motivation isn't what it should be.

Keep up the hard work, distance over time, however that's only a tip I've learnt in the last 18 months

Didnt want to but dragged myself out of bed this morning. 12.8 miles done through cold and wet weather. 88 miles up for the month.

I took the advice from 'Henage' and joined the Park Run scheme, albeit I went down to Tower Bridge to do it (Burgess Park), so did my first timed 5k.

Not great......... I shot off too fast and seemed to be gasping for air the whole way.... 30 mins 15 secs. I was probably just in front of all those who didn't stop for a breather, but behind everyone who kept running for the whole event.

So last weekend I measured a route out, much harder with plenty of 'ups and downs'- and mostly 'off road' of exactly 5k and it took 31 mins, which gave me much more satisfaction, somehow.

So, some week soon will be the joyful experience of my first 5k in 30 minutes, which is almost where this whole thread started!!! 

It's a great feeling out in the fresh air, good on you.

Hope your enjoying it, park runs are really good fun, especially those days when your motivation isn't what it should be.

Keep up the hard work, distance over time, however that's only a tip I've learnt in the last 18 months

You know what, I am actually enjoying it! If you'd have told me that 18 months ago I'd have laughed at you. (Also don't ask me in the middle of the run if I’m enjoying it either actually, you might occasionally get a different answer, but when I finish I forget all that and get a real sense of achievement. No pain no gain and all that.)

I totally get where Hindle is coming from with the “wanting to want to do it” – for ages, I thought the same, I just didn’t want to but I knew I had to. Eventually when I started seeing some real results – and more importantly when other people saw the change in me – it gave me a boost for wanting to want to do it because I just didn’t want to go back to how I was before. Plus the more you do it the easier it gets to get into a routine. It’s different for everyone, but it’s so embedded in me now that I’d find it really hard to go back now. Hope you get there soon Hindle – reading your posts I think you will.  

Distance over time is a really good tip actually – the best advice a friend gave me recently is not to get too hung up about the time too much as you are only racing yourself. Compared to myself a couple of years ago, I’m way ahead!

You know what, I am actually enjoying it! If you'd have told me that 18 months ago I'd have laughed at you. (Also don't ask me in the middle of the run if I’m enjoying it either actually, you might occasionally get a different answer, but when I finish I forget all that and get a real sense of achievement. No pain no gain and all that.)

I totally get where Hindle is coming from with the “wanting to want to do it” – for ages, I thought the same, I just didn’t want to but I knew I had to. Eventually when I started seeing some real results – and more importantly when other people saw the change in me – it gave me a boost for wanting to want to do it because I just didn’t want to go back to how I was before. Plus the more you do it the easier it gets to get into a routine. It’s different for everyone, but it’s so embedded in me now that I’d find it really hard to go back now. Hope you get there soon Hindle – reading your posts I think you will.  

Distance over time is a really good tip actually – the best advice a friend gave me recently is not to get too hung up about the time too much as you are only racing yourself. Compared to myself a couple of years ago, I’m way ahead!

Great post and smiling from ear to ear.

Enjoyment makes it all the more pleasurable, they'll be days you can't be bothered, however you remember you did it last time and you'll do it again.

Determination is the key.

Keep up the good work and keep posting

Great post and smiling from ear to ear.

Enjoyment makes it all the more pleasurable, they'll be days you can't be bothered, however you remember you did it last time and you'll do it again.

Determination is the key.

Keep up the good work and keep posting

It is a matter of making exercise, habit, something that you expect to do and I agree the feeling of satisfaction as you progress is a good one.

Another 13 miles on the clock this morning. Was hammering it.down last night so only a 3 mile battle with traffic. 104 miles on the clock now for the month

Managed 7.5 miles last night before the rain came down.

So for this week:

Monday: rest

Tuesday: gym

Wednesday: cycle 7.5 miles

Thursday: gym 

Oh, and as an added bonus all the exercise I do in the next 12 weeks will help raise money for charadeee through a thing we have going at work. All I have to do is log the exercise I have done to be awarded points. These points are then converted to cash and donated to the Agitos Foundation :)

200km up. 11 miles done last night and 13 this morning. Will get another 11 in tonight and then a full weekend of rest.

In the first week of the month I'll have done just short of 140 miles

Done 138 parkruns covered 690km(428miles)If my maths is correct!Cost nothing , recieved two running tee shirts and one rain jacket.

Whats not to like .

Done 138 parkruns covered 690km(428miles)If my maths is correct!Cost nothing , recieved two running tee shirts and one rain jacket.Whats not to like .

Just out of interest what was your first 5k time? What's your best? What do you average?

Just being nosey as that some eventing, 138 some achievement Henage

Edited by 1976PMJwires

I'll be doing my 33rd parkrun tomorrow having started just over a year ago. I've alos volunteered over 20 times - it's a great concept.

Just out of interest what was your first 5k time? What's your best? What do you average?

Just being nosey as that some eventing, 138 some achievement Henage

16/4/2011 first pr 26.33

average is around the 24.30 - 25.00

best on the 23/2/13 - 22.29

doing around  24.30 for the last five weeks ,slowly building up to attack my pb ,great stats on the web page . Helped out a few times but mainly just want to run , and have a coffee/chat after in the cafe . Great idea that will only grow and grow another new one at the Humber bridge country park this Saturday , thats 3 in the Hull area (east park , peter pan , humber bridge)

I'll be doing my 33rd parkrun tomorrow having started just over a year ago. I've alos volunteered over 20 times - it's a great concept.

1st t shirt at 50 runs keep going

16/4/2011 first pr 26.33

average is around the 24.30 - 25.00

best on the 23/2/13 - 22.29

doing around  24.30 for the last five weeks ,slowly building up to attack my pb ,great stats on the web page . Helped out a few times but mainly just want to run , and have a coffee/chat after in the cafe . Great idea that will only grow and grow another new one at the Humber bridge country park this Saturday , thats 3 in the Hull area (east park , peter pan , humber bridge)

Thanks very much, 3 in one city is some effort and commitment

Sheffield has 5.

25 minutes at Fountains Abbey parkrun this morning followed by 52 minutes at Kirkby Malzeard 10K in the afternoon. Not blisteringly quick but after a long business trip and no training I'll take that.

My best parkrun is 22.48, average is 25.30 but that includes runs I did accompanying my wife and daughter, plus when i've volunteered as a pacer.

Sheffield has 5.

25 minutes at Fountains Abbey parkrun this morning followed by 52 minutes at Kirkby Malzeard 10K in the afternoon. Not blisteringly quick but after a long business trip and no training I'll take that.

My best parkrun is 22.48, average is 25.30 but that includes runs I did accompanying my wife and daughter, plus when i've volunteered as a pacer.

Daughter and wife running with you, that's special..

Good times tim2 and a very good average mate... You really do give me a kick up the backside.

No riding this weekend due to an unexpected trip to Salford Royal Hospital. Desperate for a reasonable week of weather and a dry weekend to get some miles in.

Kimmy Kanter in Rotherham tomorrow night - 4.45 miles trail race

Kimmy Kanter in Rotherham tomorrow night - 4.45 miles trail race

Good luck, have fun

167.5 miles up for the month. Around 36 miles for the week so far. Light tea last night and light tea tonight so looking forward to stepping on the scales.

I've just signed up for the Kielder Marathon this evening... four months to get myself in decent running fitness; ouch!