Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1976PMJwires

5K run on a treadmill

827 posts in this topic

That's something that a lot of people overlook. Doing a lot of distance with a dodgy running action can do quite a lot of harm.

Are you a runner too?

Edited by GeordieSaint

Are you a runner too mate?

Nope, but I know a few people who run and cycle regularly, and they have in general discovered the advantages of good gait and action the hard way. Having found out, they are very evangelical about passing on the knowledge, even if I'm not particularly interested.As a former musician, I also see players who are making things harder for themselves than necessary, by not having a correct action and posture.

One tool that I find useful is the Strava app on my phone. It tracks your runs/rides and does the usual thing of mapping the route, elevation, splits, calories etc. but it also acts like a social network where you can follow others and compare runs. It is a good motivational tool when you see you mates are clocking up the miles and you haven't been out in a while.

Edited by Severus

Nope, but I know a few people who run and cycle regularly, and they have in general discovered the advantages of good gait and action the hard way. Having found out, they are very evangelical about passing on the knowledge, even if I'm not particularly interested.As a former musician, I also see players who are making things harder for themselves than necessary, by not having a correct action and posture.

Annoying mates! We all have a few (no doubt I'm one of them banging on how RLis awesome)!

I nearly crippled myself a few weeks ago in a race. There were other reasons why but might have a look at 'the way I run' in the future.

see if that

I know a few people who run and cycle regularly, and they have in general discovered the advantages of good gait and action the hard way.

I'm no athlete but I'm suffering the consequences of having a bad gait for fifty years. I've got persistent tendonitis in both heels and struggle to walk much more than a few miles without my heels seizing up the next morning ... it wears off but is painful. I am currently doing stretching exercises and trying a course of acupuncture to see if that sorts it out.

Running times are all relative to what you want to achieve.

If you've just started or are doing it as part of cross training to loose weight your 5k time is probably less important. Just keep running, build up your base time then work on speed and intervals. If you want to race and be competitive then it matters more.

If you're just starting out then you'll get faster quickly as you loose weight and your muscles get used to the exercise.

If competing, sub 20min 5K and sub 40 10K will see you competitive with 16min 5K and low 30s 10K would be needed to be at the business end in my experience

Agree with Sev, Strava is ace esp for cycling if you're competitive with yourself and friends.

Either way good luck and get out of the gym and onto the road/trails as soon as possible :-)

Alfie, I take it you are a serious runner? Do you compete? What distances?

I haven't competed in years but was a pretty competitive runner in my late teens and mid-20's. I had a knee injury which set me back and I haven't been right since. I started running again about 4 years ago and basically concentrate on improving my 10km time. I've done half marathons before (best time was just under 1.5 hours) and have thought about doing a marathon as my Dad ran quite a few. Currently I'm training (sort of) for the Tough Mudder next year. 16-18km obstacle course so I'm switching between gym work and cross training.

I think the hardest thing for me is knowing my limits. Starting to run again has been a humbling experience and I seriously had to put away the stop watch for a few months. I'd see my 5km time and get depressed which is why I run for time now. What I'm really getting into now is trail running. There are a few forests near where I live and an 8km run through a rainforest on a dirt track is much more fun than pounding the concrete or treadmill.

Hello people

just been reading the middle age spread post and there's a post on how long 10K run takes --- someone posted - 51 mins :O

I joined the gym recently to help with my weight loss

2005 I weigh 20st

2007 15 1/2 st

at present 14 st

for years I've struggled but portion control has seen the best results (as I did nothing else)

I've gone for the cheats way out and ride 6K on a gym bikes ( 10mins 28sec best time ) do a work out on back, shoulders, chest and tummy then a further 5K on the bike ( 8mins 18secs)

4 times a week inc a spin class.

The first time I ran was for 20mins just doing over 3.6K - I pushed myself as my 13year old daughter did 3K

second time I ran for 25 mins and did 4.25K

on my last run I did 5K in 29 mins

I'm aged 36 so In your honest opinion what time(s) should I be running??

Look forward to your response - I need motivation

Thanks again for your responses

Running really isn't for me - Since my original post I've ran only 4 times ( 29m10s, 28m30s 27m40 and yesterday 26m40s)

so I really need to push myself to get to 25Mins I've got a week otherwise I'm a loser to Wolford

On the bike is much easier 6K = 8m59s & 5K 7m9s

anyone else started running or running more since the olympics

Running really isn't for me - Since my original post I've ran only 4 times ( 29m10s, 28m30s 27m40 and yesterday 26m40s)

so I really need to push myself to get to 25Mins I've got a week otherwise I'm a loser to Wolford

I'd say your improvement was pretty impressive, don't be so hard on yourself.

I try to run twice or three times a week. Around 5km, I jate running, even when I was playing and peak of fitness I hated long distance, it bores me, but as the metabolism slows, I've increased my cardio. I go to gym 5 times a week, run 2 to 3. But for last 2 years or so I have also been using Kettlebells, and they are a magic tool. A 20 min - 30 min kettlebell workout leaves me more exhausted and gets teh heart rate going more than any 5km run, plu sit has teh added bonus of not been as heavy on the knees, yes lots of squats but not pounding the pavement, plus it's a myuscle builder as well.

I stay pretty constant with my weight go from 14st to 14 1/2 stone, but I can lose 4lbs a week doing kb's. Give them a try. According to studies the after burn when using kb's is a lot longer than cycling and running.

I've been inspired to shape up....though not from the olympics, but from seeing recent pics of me with a big sloppy beergut......not pleasant

So I've decided to start the Charles Bronson Solitary Fitness routine.....it's basically your old-school press-ups/situps thing but with a few other tips only a nutcase in solitary confinement could dream-up....should suit me fine as I've no cash for gym membership, no weights and no room to put them in.

To concur with Scape_Goose's post I've also read that doing weights will help you lose fat as your body burns off lots of fat/energy during your rest periods to try and repair muscle.

Edited by chuffer

I started running last year at the age of 49/50 and entered my first race in December - a 10K road race. I ran it in about 53 minutes. I've entered several more since and improved to 50'59". I also run regular 5Ks and have done one of those in just under 24 minutes.

This from weighing over 16 stones 2 years ago.

On Sunday I'm attempting my first longer race - a tough 10 mile race in aid of Prostate Cancer UK.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it (when I'm running uphill into the wind and rain) but usually feel pretty good afterwards.

I prefer to run outside - don't like treadmills.

Edited by tim2

I try to run twice or three times a week. Around 5km, I jate running, even when I was playing and peak of fitness I hated long distance, it bores me, but as the metabolism slows, I've increased my cardio. I go to gym 5 times a week, run 2 to 3. But for last 2 years or so I have also been using Kettlebells, and they are a magic tool. A 20 min - 30 min kettlebell workout leaves me more exhausted and gets teh heart rate going more than any 5km run, plu sit has teh added bonus of not been as heavy on the knees, yes lots of squats but not pounding the pavement, plus it's a myuscle builder as well.

I stay pretty constant with my weight go from 14st to 14 1/2 stone, but I can lose 4lbs a week doing kb's. Give them a try. According to studies the after burn when using kb's is a lot longer than cycling and running.

Kettlebells, Like the sound of this, I'll look into this one

Thanks

I've been inspired to shape up....though not from the olympics, but from seeing recent pics of me with a big sloppy beergut......not pleasant

So I've decided to start the Charles Bronson Solitary Fitness routine.....it's basically your old-school press-ups/situps thing but with a few other tips only a nutcase in solitary confinement could dream-up....should suit me fine as I've no cash for gym membership, no weights and no room to put them in.

To concur with Scape_Goose's post I've also read that doing weights will help you lose fat as your body burns off lots of fat/energy during your rest periods to try and repair muscle.

Good Luck - Nice post, keep up with Charlie!!

I started running last year at the age of 49/50 and entered my first race in December - a 10K road race. I ran it in about 53 minutes. I've entered several more since and improved to 50'59". I also run regular 5Ks and have done one of those in just under 21 minutes.

This from weighing over 16 stones 2 years ago.

On Sunday I'm attempting my first longer race - a tough 10 mile race in aid of Prostate Cancer UK.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it (when I'm running uphill into the wind and rain) but usually feel pretty good afterwards.

I prefer to run outside - don't like treadmills.

Impressive times there - I think I'll keep going, run for long as someone posted and see how it goes

Good luck with the Charity Run - great charity

Regards

Paul

Distance in as quickly as possible isn't important. It is the amount of time you run. You should be aiming to run between 45-60 mins each session at around 60-70% of your max heart rate as this is the optimal level to start fat burning (more or less without looking it up properly).

If you can't run for 45-60 mins not stop, walk for periods but at a fairly brisk pace, and then start again once your breathe comes back. Keeping your heart pumping above normal is a key component.

I'd advise you to get off the bike unless you do four times the distance you do running, as you need to do four times the distance to match what you'd lose whilst running. I'd also advise you to get off the treadmill and get running outdoors, it's miles better!

I do lots of running and just completed my first ultramarathon four weeks ago so if you want a bit more advice, give me a shout.

How do you work out your maximum heart rate? I've recently had two operations and when they wired me up before knocking me out I registered a heartbeat of 48 & 47 on the second Operation

How do you work out your maximum heart rate? I've recently had two operations and when they wired me up before knocking me out I registered a heartbeat of 48 & 47 on the second Operation

I think maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age.

The easiest option is to minus your age from 220; the result is your maximum heart rate.

There are other methods but I don't know much about them. Some details are on the link:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/heart-rate-training-find-your-maximum-heart-rate/181.html

The easiest option is to minus your age from 220; the result is your maximum heart rate.

There are other methods but I don't know much about them. Some details are on the link:

http://www.runnerswo...t-rate/181.html

that will do, wish my heartbeat was 100, lol

The average Resting Heart rate is 72, anything lower than 50 and medically you are reasonably fit. Bjorn Borg had a RHR of 32

I have just started on the rowing machine (as I used to row when I was much younger - even rowed at Henly in 1979) doing the Olympic distance of 2km, I think I am annoying the more seasoned users of the gym because I take so long, I think my toddler could walk it quicker.

Bjorn Borg had a RHR of 32

As did Lance Armstrong and Dean Karnazes. Machines!

Edited by GeordieSaint

The average Resting Heart rate is 72, anything lower than 50 and medically you are reasonably fit. Bjorn Borg had a RHR of 32

I have just started on the rowing machine (as I used to row when I was much younger - even rowed at Henly in 1979) doing the Olympic distance of 2km, I think I am annoying the more seasoned users of the gym because I take so long, I think my toddler could walk it quicker.

Went on the rowing machine for the first time in about 5 years yesterday. Did 2000m in 8:15, I used to do it in under 7:30 :(.

Progress is progress

I finally did 24mins 58secs today, maybe a week late ( I blame losing a week for Wembley) but I'm over the moon.

It's taken me 5 attempts to beat it.

Thanks for all the ideas and responses it really helped me cracking 25mins barrier.... Trainers was the big plus.

In time I'll be out on the road and see how much I can improve by.

Thanks again Paul.

24 mins 40 secs today

Will I break 22mins by xmas?

Still on the treadmill though.

Just thought I'd bring this post up to date and thank a few people

I've now done 5k in 20 mins and 54 secs and managed a 10k in 47mins 20 secs

Kettlebells really helped losing weight and toning until I hurt my arm, this encouraged me to run out on the road and become a better and stronger runner.

I've now signed up for the birchwood 10k as recommended by a poster and I've also enrolled in the Warrington half marathon.

I'm not bothered about the 10 k as I regular do sub 50 times, does anyone have any tips for half marathons??

Training plans, good foods, foods to avoid..... And do I need to stop drinking? If so when?

I've done the distance once in less than two hours but would really like a sub 1hr 50

Thanks in advance

Paul

I ran 5K today in one of the 'park run' events. 31 minutes but I did it non stop and it was the first time I have done anything like that. I can do better than this.

I ran 5K today in one of the 'park run' events. 31 minutes but I did it non stop and it was the first time I have done anything like that. I can do better than this.

Nice one, I've not done anything competive yet, how did you find it??

Will you be doing it again??