Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1976PMJwires

5K run on a treadmill

827 posts in this topic

Thanks Paul, it's posts like this that keep us going.

The ankle thing dates back to my playing days, some 20 years ago. Damaged my ligaments and they've never been the same since.

My pleasure, it's so nice to read individuals putting effort in and enjoying motivating themselves and others.

Keep it up and keep posting..... Good luck

It is the prospect of managing a park run that is spurring me on to hit the gym when possible. There is one about 7 miles away.

I've only been going to the park run for a couple of weeks but there are guys there taking more than 40 minutes to do the 5k, but fair play they have a go and are still smiling at the end. I am definitely not a runner but in an odd way I've enjoyed both runs so far.

It is the prospect of managing a park run that is spurring me on to hit the gym when possible. There is one about 7 miles away.

Go and walk it , lots of people walk the Hull (east park ) park run . Seen lots of people start walking  then walk - jog then jog the full 5k .(over many months)

Maybe back it up with a session on a bike , saves my ankles and helps with my general fitness . Good luck , dig deep and get a few PR under your belt , you wont look back .

Go and walk it , lots of people walk the Hull (east park ) park run . Seen lots of people start walking  then walk - jog then jog the full 5k .(over many months)

Wot henage (and Tiny Tim) said!

Plenty of people walk or run/walk ours in Cambridge and work on running more/walking less as the weeks go by. There was a lady in her 80s went round on her zimmer frame time last year. If you can already run 4k in 30 minutes on a treadmill, there will definitely be people slower than you at parkun. Those "couch to 5k" plans the NHS does build you up to running 4k without a break over the space of a couple of months, BTW.

Have you ever seen a doctor/physio about your ankle? It's fairly common for people who start running to get injuries - your cardiovascular system can improve a lot quicker than your joints/tendons/muscles can get stronger, so it's easy to overdo it. Pre-existing injury or not, if one ankle hurts and the other doesn't when out running, I'd probably take that as a sign to take it a bit easier. 

Wot henage (and Tiny Tim) said!

Plenty of people walk or run/walk ours in Cambridge and work on running more/walking less as the weeks go by. There was a lady in her 80s went round on her zimmer frame time last year. If you can already run 4k in 30 minutes on a treadmill, there will definitely be people slower than you at parkun. Those "couch to 5k" plans the NHS does build you up to running 4k without a break over the space of a couple of months, BTW.

Have you ever seen a doctor/physio about your ankle? It's fairly common for people who start running to get injuries - your cardiovascular system can improve a lot quicker than your joints/tendons/muscles can get stronger, so it's easy to overdo it. Pre-existing injury or not, if one ankle hurts and the other doesn't when out running, I'd probably take that as a sign to take it a bit easier.

That's why cycling is a good option. Low impact exercise on knees and ankles.

29 miles in training this week including an interval sesh tonight.

Next up, the Worksop Half Marathon in October. In the meantime, I'm going to have a go at doing a quick parkrun on Saturday.

I've booked myself on the Halifax touch rugby sessions which begin in a fortnight.

It's a start, I've got the epic skills but no fitness so even if I run around like under-8's it'll be reet.

I've booked myself on the Halifax touch rugby sessions which begin in a fortnight.

It's a start, I've got the epic skills but no fitness so even if I run around like under-8's it'll be reet.

Good luck and have fun, you'll be a runner in 12/18 months

You targeted this week to use the gym and the distance is irrelevant, good on you.

Build up slowly and at your pace and it'll come together, sometimes it's hard going and then others days you'll see the improvements

Good on you I say..... I hope I can still run when I reach your 51 years young

Hope the ankles aren't to sore in the morning

I agree. You can run 5k one day and skip round like an impish little light footed foal, then run 5k a couple of days later and feel like you've got lead weights on your feet.

There's no rhyme or reason to it, so don't get demoralised if its hard sometimes!

One thing I have always found though.... For every lead-weighted run that leaves you gasping for breath, you will be rewarded with a comfortable run that makes you wonder why you didn't start doing it years earlier :-)

Third park run completed this morning and I knocked exactly 1 minute (to the second) off my PB which was set last week. Twas hard work but I still had a bit left at the end to sprint for the line which was encouraging.

Just 47 to go until I get a t-shirt  :biggrin:

Third park run completed this morning and I knocked exactly 1 minute (to the second) off my PB which was set last week. Twas hard work but I still had a bit left at the end to sprint for the line which was encouraging.

Just 47 to go until I get a t-shirt  :biggrin:

Great effort , 47 pr will soon be in the bank , keep it going .

23.31 for me today 24.28 last week , well chuffed . Had a ride on bike this afternoon covered around 26 miles , back roads /old railway to Hornsea and back ,really feeling the biking is helping my fitness and weight , nothing happened for weeks and weeks but can feel the difference now both biking and the park run . Great weather to boot hope it keeps going into October .

22.50 at the parkrun today, just 2 seconds off a course PB

The interval training plus extra miles seems to be doing the trick.

Done it! 5km on the treadmill without stopping! Made up, even though it took me 42 minutes 49 seconds. Some pain again in my ankles at first, but a short spell of walking got rid of it, all gone before half way. Need to keep it up now and work on reducing the time.

Done it! 5km on the treadmill without stopping! Made up, even though it took me 42 minutes 49 seconds. Some pain again in my ankles at first, but a short spell of walking got rid of it, all gone before half way. Need to keep it up now and work on reducing the time.

Time irrelevant, keep doing the distance and you'll improve. Great achievement, doing what you targeted to do.

Do you have the treadmill set with a slight incline??

Maybe if you don't, you may elevate so of the pain, just a thought.

Trainers maybe another issue, I never believed some fellow posters at the beginning of this thread, boy it makes a massive difference, ankles, knees, hips and back.

Keep going and good luck....hope you find the right formula

Regards

Paul

Time irrelevant, keep doing the distance and you'll improve. Great achievement, doing what you targeted to do.

Do you have the treadmill set with a slight incline??

Maybe if you don't, you may elevate so of the pain, just a thought.

Trainers maybe another issue, I never believed some fellow posters at the beginning of this thread, boy it makes a massive difference, ankles, knees, hips and back.

Keep going and good luck....hope you find the right formula

Regards

Paul

Agree with the gradient suggestion, oddly I find it much harder running on a treadmill without a slight gradient set. Doesn't have to be much but really do not like running without it slightly elevated.

A light ankle support for running may help, the extra compression and support may be just enough to keep you going for 5k.

Back on the rower after a 4 month absence.

Looking forward to a gentle opener - 8x500 @1:50ish with 3 mins rest between efforts.

Out on the bike today, managed 18km mainly off road. Not too bad considering I've had a bit of a break from cycling with working away. Could have managed more if I'm honest.

Been feeling lousy last few weeks so nit ridden much. If im feeling good ive a free weekend in a few weeks so may have a tilt at a century

Only managed to knock 16 seconds off my PB in this week's Park Run. Twas hard work this week, felt tougher than previously and not quite sure why, except I felt a bit left over from badminton.

Just been looking at some ideas for training for a 5km run.....perhaps I should have looked at these a few weeks back.

Only managed to knock 16 seconds off my PB in this week's Park Run. Twas hard work this week, felt tougher than previously and not quite sure why, except I felt a bit left over from badminton.

Just been looking at some ideas for training for a 5km run.....perhaps I should have looked at these a few weeks back.

Maybe knocking 16 secs from time made it hard work , 23.31 last week and 23.45 this week , can tell I have worked hard to get down under 24  , good feeling , hopeing to dip below 23 next few weeks .

Good positive thread lets keep it going.

Rowing was decent - managed to keep every 500 under 1:50 and the last 2 (making it 9 in total) under 1:40.

Had a bit of an accident in the kitchen with a mandolin, so no rowing or weights this week = 5 k on the treadmill. Dreading it.

Had a bit of an accident in the kitchen with a mandolin, so no rowing or weights this week = 5 k on the treadmill. Dreading it.

Funny, they don't look particularly dangerous do they? 

00070643.jpg

:D

Maybe knocking 16 secs from time made it hard work , 23.31 last week and 23.45 this week , can tell I have worked hard to get down under 24  , good feeling , hopeing to dip below 23 next few weeks .

Good positive thread lets keep it going.

To put it in perspective I am currently working to get below 33 mins.

I will keep chipping away and would like to be below 30 mins by the end of the year but not sure how realistic that is. I've got some routes mapped out around the village that I can use for training runs but currently we have horizontal rain, it's gone very cold out and I've gone soft since I hung up my rugby boots.

Completed the Kielder Marathon yesterday in 4hrs and 30mins. I had been going really well at the halfway mark on what is a very undulating route but spanked in at around 15miles when my back seized up. Didn't manage to loosen up until around the 22 mile mark so had a tough time during that 7 miles. So overall, after a disrupted and relative short training programme, I am happy I got around the course and completed my 2nd marathon, albeit 45mins slower than the last one!

Edited by GeordieSaint

Completed the Kielder Marathon yesterday in 4hrs and 30mins. I had been going really well at the halfway mark on what is a very undulating route but spanked in at around 15miles when my back seized up. Didn't manage to loosen up until around the 22 mile mark so had a tough time during that 7 miles. So overall, after a disrupted and relative short training programme, I am happy I got around the course and completed my 2nd marathon, albeit 45mins slower than the last one!

Completing any marathon is a huge achievement. Well done.