Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1976PMJwires

5K run on a treadmill

827 posts in this topic

Thanks, I've got 5 ten milers under my belt and the full distance. I'd love to break 1:50

Mission Accomplished!!

Congratulations!!

I woke up the morning of the race, yawned and my right hamstring went into spasm.  I knew then my deferment was the correct decision.

Mission Accomplished!!

Congratulations!!

I woke up the morning of the race, yawned and my right hamstring went into spasm.  I knew then my deferment was the correct decision.

Thanks MW

Maybe see you next year!!

Done the Bradford 5K parkrun this morning. Have been on holiday and not run for a few weeks so it was a bit harder than last time. No records broken this week I feel but I didn't stop which is a sort of victory to me.

Also dragged some nieces and nephew along so I am doing my bit.

An English couple started up a park run here in Canberra ... looks like fun.

An English couple started up a park run here in Canberra ... looks like fun.

It is. It's ideal for anyone who fancies a go. ...no pointing and laughing at your terrible efforts! :)

I'm Race Director at the Rother Valley Park Run tomorrow and then I've got the Nottingham Half Marathon on Sunday. Not sure I'm ready for either!

Several weeks of no running due to a bad back and my first parkrun for a while.

Still managed a pb too!

I'm Race Director at the Rother Valley Park Run tomorrow and then I've got the Nottingham Half Marathon on Sunday. Not sure I'm ready for either!

Missed your post to say good luck, how did you get on??

Missed your post to say good luck, how did you get on??

1 hr 58m - pleased to be under 2 hours given limited training due to injury and work. I was going well until 11.5 miles then I started to tighten up in my calves and knees so it was a bit of a slog over the last stretch.

Next one is in a month at Worksop. If my legs recover!

Can some of our more betterer runners explain to me what it is that improves your endurance? (Ooh Mrs)

I know it happens because I can run a fair bit longer myself than 6 months ago but what exactly is it that allows you to do it? Leg muscle? Breathing? Heart rate?

Any scientists available?

1 hr 58m - pleased to be under 2 hours given limited training due to injury and work. I was going well until 11.5 miles then I started to tighten up in my calves and knees so it was a bit of a slog over the last stretch.

Next one is in a month at Worksop. If my legs recover!

Great effort under two hours. I feel your pain, I certainly have forgotten mine.

Good luck with Worksop, you'll be fine

Can some of our more betterer runners explain to me what it is that improves your endurance? (Ooh Mrs)

I know it happens because I can run a fair bit longer myself than 6 months ago but what exactly is it that allows you to do it? Leg muscle? Breathing? Heart rate?

I can only offer what I've learnt over the past 6 months.

Hills, hills, sprints and running mixed distance regularly.... I just wish I put more effort into my training plan in August.

Distance in time helps the sore legs, hills help the stamina and sprinting improves the heart rate, especially at full speed, jog and back to full speed.

Try some spin classes or RPM they'll really help you get fit and improve your running.

There are far more experienced peopple than me, this is just an anacdote.  I was training for  a half marathon and decided to walk back from the city centre to my flat.  I was casualy runningl 10kms about twice a week.  However,one day  when I went to walk home for just under two hours, I found my legs ached as I was not used to being on my feet that long.  I added long walks to my programme and found it helped.

There are far more experienced peopple than me, this is just an anacdote.  I was training for  a half marathon and decided to walk back from the city centre to my flat.  I was casualy runningl 10kms about twice a week.  However,one day  when I went to walk home for just under two hours, I found my legs ached as I was not used to being on my feet that long.  I added long walks to my programme and found it helped.

Strangely enough, I have always walked a lot. I have just been unable to run for more than a minute without collapsing. Now I can run for a fair bit but struggle with endurance. As for acceleration....I have none!

Strangely enough, I have always walked a lot. I have just been unable to run for more than a minute without collapsing. Now I can run for a fair bit but struggle with endurance. As for acceleration....I have none!

As a reasonable runner, acceleration is pointless when you are running a long distance IMO.  You do not overtake people, you just let them fall behind you with time.  Accelerating is a waste of energy, get to speed and stay there.

Though I might be telling myself that as I have almost as much acceleration as you do.

I'm not expert but I run a lot.  As a starter runner, to improve endurance run long slow runs and your legs will, hopefully, adapt..  every few weeks gradually increase the distance

Edited by Copa

I'm not expert but I run a lot. As a starter runner, to improve endurance run long slow runs and your legs will, hopefully, adapt.. every few weeks gradually increase the distance

Thanks mate

This might sound odd but it's not my legs that want to give up but my breathing. I think I struggle to get a decent rhythm breathing wise (if that makes sense)

In my defence, I did have a collapsed lung years back and wonder if this is an issue.

Thanks mate

This might sound odd but it's not my legs that want to give up but my breathing. I think I struggle to get a decent rhythm breathing wise (if that makes sense)

In my defence, I did have a collapsed lung years back and wonder if this is an issue.

you may have to seek expert advice.

My mother is in her mid 60s has lung disease but she still runs all the time. On weekends she often does a run 25km to 30km long on rough bush tracks. She is training for a 50km ultra-marathon at the North Face event in the Blue Mountains. It's one of the toughest ultras around... If she can do this sort of thing then anybody without significant disability can do it also.

Just plan well and stay motivated.... And enjoy it! It's fun.

Edited by Copa

you may have to seek expert advice.

My mother is in her mid 60s has lung disease but she still runs all the time. On weekends she often does a run 25km to 30km long on rough bush tracks. She is training for a 50km ultra-marathon at the North Face event in the Blue Mountains. It's one of the toughest ultras around... If she can do this sort of thing then anybody without significant disability can do it also.

Just plan well and stay motivated.... And enjoy it! It's fun.

Er....I will pass thanks!!

Er....I will pass thanks!!

lol... I meant if she can exercise anybody can exercise.... Not that everyone should run ultras..

Ran in the St. Helens 10k race last Sunday

New PB 45:50 , knocked 1 min 53 secs off my previous best.

Reading through the posts it's amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it.

The St. Helens 10k is a great occasion and the Steve Prescott foundation raised over £50,000

Edited by 1976PMJwires

Started cycling in September after the cup.final. Use the bike most days for for 3 mile commute to work, try and take the long way round some days. Got 288 miles covered since September and 185 this year. Lost over 2.5 stone since September

Started cycling in September after the cup.final. Use the bike most days for for 3 mile commute to work, try and take the long way round some days. Got 288 miles covered since September and 185 this year. Lost over 2.5 stone since September

Fantastic, it's a great feeling losing weight and 2.5 stones is some effort, keep up the hard work.

Fantastic, it's a great feeling losing weight and 2.5 stones is some effort, keep up the hard work.

Looking to lose another 3. Started at 21st and aiming for 15. Hoping to get out in the morning and ride close to 20 miles before breakfast

Looking to lose another 3. Started at 21st and aiming for 15. Hoping to get out in the morning and ride close to 20 miles before breakfast

Fair play to you, back in 2004/5 I tipped the scales at just over 20 stone, I now hover between 12st 12 to 13st.

What's been your biggest success in losing weight so far??

Mine was portion control, then when I hit 14.5 st joined a gym and not looked back since, been a regular at the gym for nearly 2 years.

Keep it up and good luck.

Edited by 1976PMJwires

Fair play to you, back in 2004/5 I tipped the scales at just over 20 stone, I now hover between 12st 12 to 13st.

What's been your biggest success in losing weight so far??

Mine was portion control, then when I hit 14.5 st joined a gym and not looked back since, been a regular at the gym for nearly 2 years.

Keep it up and good luck.

Portion size is definitely helping. Done my longest ride this morning at 19 miles in 90 mins. Hovering at.just over 18st for the last month and struggling to carry on.losing. Little despondency at the weather hasnt helped.

Portion size is definitely helping. Done my longest ride this morning at 19 miles in 90 mins. Hovering at.just over 18st for the last month and struggling to carry on.losing. Little despondency at the weather hasnt helped.

Sometimes for a week or more you will have times you don't lose much, however keep on with it and the rewards will come.

Concur, the weather can be a real issue, keep smiling, keep focus, you WILL do it.