Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Tour de France cyclists

90 posts in this topic

Its been obvious for a few years. Armstrong can live in his fantasy world but the evidence is there. How come all his challenges have been caught doping in some way yet he who was even further infront of them be so clean? The way he has abused his position and his arrogance and not showing any remorse makes it even worse. Theres reports that his Ex wife was heavily involved alongside friends etc. Seems there is no end to the lengths he went to cheat

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/zone-lance-armstrong-bully-downfall-article-1.1188512 Armstrong is a disgrace and the way he has acted should be in jail hopefully. he has convinced himself so much that he cant see the lie. Threatening people, bribery etc surely deserves a jail sentence if the evidence is there. The UCI president McQuaid is a very dodgy charactor himself and also thinks he can do what he wants. He raced in S. Africa in the 70s under a different name but got caught. The UCI needs sorting not just the riders

There was no way Armstrong could win the USADA case. they had no evidence and were just basing the whole thing on rumour and innuendo. it was pretty much a done deal that they would find him guilty. The simple fact is that he has never failed a drugs test, and there is no hard evidence to show that he has ever taken drugs.

He's still never failed a drugs test, but at least he's told Oprah that he's *sniff* y'know *sniff* kinda *sniff* sorry ...

I watched the interview and got the impression that it was all procedural and had been rehearsed in response to pre-submitted questions.

But the thing is the winners of the TdF from 96-2010 (with one exception) have been stripped of their title because of drug misuse. This means they have all been at it, therefore the winner has been the one that has used drugs the best. They were all at it, so the best cyclist (on drugs) won.

But the thing is the winners of the TdF from 96-2010 (with one exception) have been stripped of their title because of drug misuse. This means they have all been at it, therefore the winner has been the one that has used drugs the best. They were all at it, so the best cyclist (on drugs) won.

Not entirely true, drugs have different effect on different people so the person who responded the best to the drugs won.

If you had a natural stamina etc you were at a massive disadvantage since drugs would not improve your performance by much. Whereas less naturally gifted people would experience massive improvements in performance that would alow them to compete.

This is bigger than Lance it goes to the heart of the UCI, at the time you mention. Unfortunately this will never come out.

In his interview, Armstrong claimed he gave a considerable sum of money to the UCI to help fund its drug-testing programme. He reckoned the gift was for altruistic reasons, and was not "hush money".

Is he telling the truth? .... The trouble is that no-one knows for sure that whatever he says is true, or, even if it is, whether it is only partially true.

In the interview, he admitted to having previously (presumably publicly) called Betsy Andreu ... wife of team-mate Frankie Andreu, who had sworn that he had used EPO ... as a "crazy #####". However, he was keen to point out that he had never called her "fat" as that would have been totally disrespectful.

He lives by his own code, and will continue to do so. I'm sure somebody must like him, but I wouldn't know who, why or how.

I have no doubt Armstrong would've won the TDF had none of the peleton been doping. Probably not seven on the trot but he is a superb athlete. However, I hope he never gets a chance to compete in any sport. He has done untold damage to cycling and to others careers and dreams (cf. Nicole Cooks interviews this week).

I have no doubt Armstrong would've won the TDF had none of the peleton been doping. Probably not seven on the trot but he is a superb athlete. However, I hope he never gets a chance to compete in any sport. He has done untold damage to cycling and to others careers and dreams (cf. Nicole Cooks interviews this week).

I agree it wasn't just the fact that he doped it was the aggressive pursuit of anybody who dared to break ranks.

I agree it wasn't just the fact that he doped it was the aggressive pursuit of anybody who dared to break ranks.

I think it's that culture of bullying which makes this stand out.

Somebody on Twitter wrote...

"Lance Armstrong ought to be commended for winning the Tour De France after taking drugs, I tried cycling home once after doing the same and ended up falling into a canal"